Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
I am converting some vhs tapes to dvd. The capture quality is pretty low since they were 8mm films converted to vhs. I have found that after converting and making the dvd, I could actually cram a whole other tape on the same dvd. But all the software I have pukes if you try to go over an hour in time regardless of the space left.
I am using Ulead 6 I think, since it is faster than the pinnical studio 8. Is there some trick to making these go over the 1hour mark without puking? Is there some other editing software I can use like Tmpgenc to combine 2 full dvd's into one?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]
i use nero but not sure if it will do whatyou need.but they have a free trial here.nero
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to set the MPEG encoding bitrate low enough so that 2 hours will fit on a DVD. My guess is that the programs you are using default to a high bitrate that overflows the DVD.

For a 4.7GB DVD with stereo PCM audio, the video bitrate must be no higher than 3.51Mbit/sec to fit two hours.

Assuming you encode the video this way, there shouldn't be any trouble putting it all on one DVD. TMPGEnc is only useful as an encoder or to splice encoded videos; it doesn't handle DVD authoring.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
They already fit physically on one dvd. That is each hour after the authoring software is done with them, only take up about 2 gb of space. But the software doesn't care how much room it takes up, it only looks at the time it would take to play at whatever encoding rate it is playing at. So if I hit 1 hour of video, even if it only is 2gb of dvd, I cannot add anymore video to fill up a dvd because the software sees more than 1 hour of play time and freaks out.
Not sure if I explained that right.
So let me try again. I created a dvd that came from a 1 hour tape. I authored it and then went to burn the files on a dvd through nero, and found that I only had 2 gb's worth of files.
So I went back and tried to add more clips from the second tape, but then the software freaks out. Ulead won't let me make chapters past 1 hour, and it screws up creating scenes in general.
Studio 8 won't let you create the dvd files if it is longer than 1 hour regardless of the file size that will result.
Just wondering if there is a way around this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top