Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I still want 82ndAbn to be a man and answer the question: "How much cash do you spend in a week that you can't fit 50's or 20's in your wallet?? I really want to hear this since 100's aren't worth much to you"

Let's see if he will answer it or if he will hide in the corner.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
By your rationale, gas stations should not accept cash at all then, right?  That way, they'd never be robbed .  You are misplacing the blame for robberies onto customers who would pay in cash - give me a break.  If you are going to do business with the public, then have a realistic amount of cash on hand.  Or buy one of those metering safes.  Or keep a shotgun behind the counter, I don't care.  It's not my problem.

As though the would-be robber knows how much cash you keep in the drawer for change.......  

You are right it is not your problem.  It is the business' problem and they are goign to mitigate risks to employees by having a policy that precludes the need for large amounts of cash on hand.

Yes they do know how much cash there is, whenever you ring up a pack of smokes that drawer flies open and you can see how much cash there is.   Thats why most savvy clerks put the $20s and larger bills under the coin tray so it is out of sight.  
And if cousin Bubba went to jail "Just for 90$ in cash from the local store" word gets out that convenience stores are not carrying as much cash on hand as they used to.  
Lets not forget that the "No 100$ bills accepted" sign itself tells would be armed robbers that "This is a low traffic target and will only pay the crack bills for 3 or 4 days, I had better move on."

I tell you what, why don't you wear a shirt that proudly proclaims "Carries $3000 in cash" printed on it.  I am sure you CCW so its no big deal right?

You make it sound like we are all out there looking to get into a pissing contest with some gas station.  The fact is that many of us routinely carry $100 bills, largely because gas is so fucking expensive.  I had no idea ahead of time that any station, much less this station would have such a policy.  I've never seen such a sign around here.  The very idea of it was suprising and absurd - imagine a sign stating that they don't take 10s, but 5s and 20s are fine.

I have noticed the whole $100 bill under the coin tray trick, and any robber who doesn't know about it is an absolute fucking idiot.

If it were my business, I'd have ample change on hand, even if it meant getting one of those time-delay safes.  The money is insured anyway.  

What would a station honestly do if they couldn't make change?  Would they expect me to leave my $100 behind, with the promise that they would mail the change to me?  If so, then I'd have an equal expectation that they bill me.  I'd also imagine that any cop would be pissed as hell to get called on something as absurd as this.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I still want 82ndAbn to be a man and answer the question: "How much cash do you spend in a week that you can't fit 50's or 20's in your wallet?? I really want to hear this since 100's aren't worth much to you"

I don't know about him, but once a month I'll get $1500 from the bank, in $100 bills, and use that as my money for entertainment, lunch, misc stuff I buy etc.  When I am going on a long trip like at Christmas, I'll have between $2000 and $5000 on me.

I know someone who routinely carries about $5000 on him.  I'd imagine he carries $30,000 when he visits relatives, since he gives them quite large cash gifts each year and doesn't really believe in using debit/credit cards, travelers checks, etc.  

I don't use credit cards, and have had the misfortune of having to get a car repaired in the boonies only to find out they didn't accept out-of-state checks or my debit card.  My ATM withdrawal limit was low enough where I had a real pain getting the bill paid.  I also ran into a situation at 3am in western Nebraska once where the station's credit card line was out of order and I barely had enough cash to cover the gas - I had to dig the change out of my ashtray.  Because of that, and because of a general preference for paying in cash, I carry a decently large amount.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Its none of your damn business.

The fact of the matter is, you are wrong on the issue.  Pull your head out of your ass and maybe you find out how the world really works.

$100 isnt shit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're living on the Moon if you believe I'm going to publically disclose how much money goes in & out of my wallet.    

Yeah, cause it sooo private.  You have already told the world how you spend hundreds and hundreds in cash every week, now haven't you?  Haven't you?

Ohhh no, that was just part of your BS story to make yourself feel better.  "Hundreds are like nothing!  They fly out of my wallet!  I can't even lift enough 20's to cover a week's worth of my spending!"

Next time think before you post.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact of the matter is, you are wrong on the issue.  Pull your head out of your ass and maybe you find out how the world really works.

$100 isnt shit.

So you are another one, huh?  So I guess you must spend atleast $1,000 a week in cash since you can't do your spending in $50's and $20's, right??

Another big spender...

Like I said from the very start, it's only the people with big egos.  $100 ain't shit, right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about him, but once a month I'll get $1500 from the bank, in $100 bills, and use that as my money for entertainment, lunch, misc stuff I buy etc.  When I am going on a long trip like at Christmas, I'll have between $2000 and $5000 on me.

Why once a month?  Bank too far to go once a week?  

I assume you don't carry around the entire $1,500 so it would be safe to say that you have about $350 (approx per week) on you, correct?  No reason why that can't be done in 50's and 20's.  You could use the 50's for gas and the 20's for everything else.  No?  This is what 82ndAbn isn't understanding, or atleast what he won't admit to.

Now 82ndAbn is a whole 'nother level than you and I, he needs a suitcase to carry his hundreds, apparently.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume you don't carry around the entire $1,500 so it would be safe to say that you have about $350 (approx per week) on you, correct?  No reason why that can't be done in 50's and 20's.  You could use the 50's for gas and the 20's for everything else.  No?  This is what 82ndAbn isn't understanding, or atleast what he won't admit to.

Now 82ndAbn is a whole 'nother level than you and I, he needs a suitcase to carry his hundreds, apparently.

Where you born this way, or do you stand in front of the mirror and practice it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I edited my post above, FYI.  I work about 30 miles from home, and can rarely get to the bank during their business hours.  I do carry the whole lump sum on me, because I am too forgetful to remember to replenish my wallet - hell I'd even forget where I put the money.  Next time I fill up I'll ask if they have a problem with the $100s.  I honestly have never run into a problem with it before.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where you born this way, or do you stand in front of the mirror and practice it?

It's the idiots who won't admit their mistake that brings the beast out of me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You make it sound like we are all out there looking to get into a pissing contest with some gas station.  

Maybe not all of you, but some of you are I have had it happen before where I had 60$ in the damn drawer and some asshole comes in after pumping 5$ in gas and tries to pay with a 100$ bill.  I told him I couldnt make change, and he starts fanning out his 100$ to show how wonderful he is that he walks around with more money than I make in a month.  Hoo fucking ray.  

Quoted:
The fact is that many of us routinely carry $100 bills, largely because gas is so fucking expensive.  I had no idea ahead of time that any station, much less this station would have such a policy.  I've never seen such a sign around here.  The very idea of it was suprising and absurd - imagine a sign stating that they don't take 10s, but 5s and 20s are fine.

The very idea of paying for low cost items with large bills is absurd.  If you have to carry 100$ bills around, here is what you do at the bank "Can i get that 3000 dollars with one hundred dollars in 20s please?"  This is what any sensible person does if they have to carry around that much cash.

Quoted:
I have noticed the whole $100 bill under the coin tray trick, and any robber who doesn't know about it is an absolute fucking idiot.

The point is that it makes the amount of money the store carries an unknown, and the shown amount of money is less appetizing than a stack of 100s.  Yes, if they rob a store they are going to check under the coin tray, the point is to not show them a stack of money.

Quoted:
If it were my business, I'd have ample change on hand, even if it meant getting one of those time-delay safes.  The money is insured anyway.  

It is not your business, and you do not really have any concept of what it is like to be in a business like this.  How the hell would a time delay safe work anyway, the point of those safes is that the clerk does not have access if there is a robbery.  If the clerk does not have access during a roberry they do not have access to make change from your huge bill.

Quoted:
What would a station honestly do if they couldn't make change?  Would they expect me to leave my $100 behind, with the promise that they would mail the change to me?  If so, then I'd have an equal expectation that they bill me.  I'd also imagine that any cop would be pissed as hell to get called on something as absurd as this.  

Generally If the cost is 5$ or less I will colelct a drivers license, they cost 10$ to replace so most people will come back to pick them up (we have a cigar box full of drivers licenses from people who never came back).  If it is more than that, you need to call a friend or hand over something more valuable as collateral.  Cell phones, jewelry, digital cameras whatever it is.  If you decide you will do none of the above and just leave the scene I will get your description and license plate number and call the local cops.  And I am sure this is not the most absurd thing cops get called about.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I edited my post above, FYI.  I work about 30 miles from home, and can rarely get to the bank during their business hours.  I do carry the whole lump sum on me, because I am too forgetful to remember to replenish my wallet - hell I'd even forget where I put the money.  Next time I fill up I'll ask if they have a problem with the $100s.  I honestly have never run into a problem with it before.

Understandable.  

I'm more into my Visa check card.  I use it for everything that I can, I carry cash for the few things that require it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
 I told him I couldnt make change, and he starts fanning out his 100$ to show how wonderful he is that he walks around with more money than I make in a month.  Hoo fucking ray.  

Wow, deja vu!  You sure that wasn't 82ndAbn???
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Is there something hard to understand about that bit?  When a tank of gas burns more than half of a hundred, wtf are they telling me "Sorry, no 100 dollar bills accepted."

I want to know, is it actually LEGAL for retail buisnesses to refuse legal tender as payment?  I mean, can they choose to refuse a five dollar bill?  What about a twenty?  Basically, is there a federal law that covers this, or can the gas station keep telling me to fuc off?

This is an argument that comes up often on Internet forums. The answer is no, they do not have to accept it. The statement "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" means that that piece of paper can be used to pay debts. It doesn't mean it has to be accepted.

Edited to add:  GEEZ. I just read the 3 pages of this thread and it's like little kids arguing about who's daddy is richer.  Are we even talking about the thread topic anymore??

(now continuing with my original comment)
---

No.

It means that it must be accepted for debts.

If you go to the checkout line in the grocery store, and they don't feel like accepting five-dollar bills that day, that is their perrogative not to conduct that transaction with you.

HOWEVER in the  event of a debt (property taxes, a meal at a resturaunt you have already eaten, or gas you have already pumped) which must be settled, creditors are obligated to accept "legal tender" as payment for said debt.

For the argumentative types who didn't read carefully I will summarize my comment:
1. Anyone can refuse "legal tender" when conducting a transaction
2. When settling a debt, a creditor is obligated to accept "legal tender" from a debtor.
2a. A debt is when someone owes someone else money for something that has already happened.

NB: I suppose if you try to pre-pay your gas they do have the right to refuse the $50 or $100 bill.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Understandable.  

I'm more into my Visa check card.  I use it for everything that I can, I carry cash for the few things that require it.

I used to be 100% debit card and carry not a penny of cash, but after those two incidents, plus about 5 cases when "the such and such network is down, we can't take your card" made me realize I need to carry some cash.  Plus, I spend less money on crap than I used to when I would use my debit card and the amount would disappear into a sea of transactions on my bank statement.  Actually, for a while I even had some problems with being double charged for some purchases.

Now I am almost the opposite.  I use my debit to pay things like my utility bills, airfare, and online shopping, and use cash for pretty much everything else.

Besides, the cafeteria at work only accepts cash, and I am a cranky SOB when I can't get my BLT sandwich and chocolate milk.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No.

If you go to the checkout line in the grocery store, and they don't feel like accepting five-dollar bills that day, that is their perrogative not to conduct that transaction with you.

HOWEVER in the  event of a debt (property taxes, a meal at a resturaunt you have already eaten, or gas you have already pumped) which must be settled, creditors are obligated to accept "legal tender" as payment for said debt.

For the argumentative types who didn't read carefully I will summarize my comment:
2. When settling a debt, a creditor is obligated to accept "legal tender" from a debtor.
2a. A debt is when someone owes someone else money for something that has already happened.

NB: I suppose if you try to pre-pay your gas they do have the right to refuse the $50 or $100 bill.

That is 100% false, but I will give you the chance to prove your claims.  You have infinite resources, now get to work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Gas stations have always taken my $100 bills.

Every once in a while, some ignorant monkey behind the counter will complain about it, but if you tell them they had better take it because it's all you have, they will slouch their way into the back to get a manager to make change and put it in the safe or whatever they do with it.

It's not really a big enough problem to warrant three pages of argument.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Understandable.  

I used to be 100% debit card, but after those two incidents, plus about 5 cases when "the such and such network is down, we can't take your card" made me realize I need to carry some cash.  Plus, I spend less money on crap than I used to when I would use my debit card and the amount would disappear into a sea of transactions on my bank statement.  Actually, for a while I even had some problems with being double charged for some purchases.

Now I am almost the opposite.  I use my debit to pay things like my utility bills, airfare, and online shopping, and use cash for pretty much everything else.

I can't do that because the cash just disappears.  I would have $400 in my wallet one day, 3 days later I would have $35 and not a clue of where it all went (probably on hookers and blow).

At least with the debit card I can see exactly what I am spending on and figure out where to cut corners if needed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I told him I couldnt make change, and he starts fanning out his 100$ to show how wonderful he is that he walks around with more money than I make in a month.  Hoo fucking ray.  

That WAS me!

It's alright, you can crawl back under your rock now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Edited to add:  GEEZ. I just read the 3 pages of this thread and it's like little kids arguing about who's daddy is richer.  Are we even talking about the thread topic anymore??

His pet peeve is people that won't accept $100 bills, my pet peeve is people who only carry $100 bills for small transactions.  Becoming at loggerheads is inevitable.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Gas stations have always taken my $100 bills.

Every once in a while, some ignorant monkey behind the counter will complain about it, but if you tell them they had better take it because it's all you have, they will slouch their way into the back to get a manager to make change and put it in the safe or whatever they do with it.

It's not really a big enough problem to warrant three pages of argument.

But, but, I don't understand.  If we are not here to argue and get into pissing contests about idiotic things, then what are we here for?  You are ruining the meaning in our Arfcom lives..............
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That WAS me!

It's alright, you can crawl back under your rock now.

You're loving all this attention aren't you?  

I love the way you continue to come back with your wiseass remarks, while not answering the question or admitting your mistake.  

Grow up little boy- your avatar proves nothing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You are right, we should keep 500$ in the drawer at the opening of every business day because making the business a better target for stop and rob is a brilliant idea.  My taking a bullet in the ass is worth it to save you a trip to the bank.

No wonder you work in a goddamn gas station, genius. Ever hear of a safe? If you don't have a $200 drawer and a couple hundred in change in the safe...you need a new manager.

If you ever get robbed....give em the cash. It's insured.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No wonder you work in a goddamn gas station, genius. Ever hear of a safe? If you don't have a $200 drawer and a couple hundred in change in the safe...you need a new manager.

If you ever get robbed....give em the cash. It's insured. hr

1. We have a drop safe and I do not have the key.
2. Some times they want the cash and to shoot someone.
3. I work at a gas station to pay my way through college, but thanks for the personal insult.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love the way you continue to come back with your wiseass remarks, while not answering the question or admitting your mistake.  

Grow up little boy- your avatar proves nothing.

What mistake?  And why would I be dumb enough to detail my finances to some internet troll?  

My God, you're dense.

You just added to your mistake.  I told you twice now that I don't want any details.  My question was clear, it's also clear who the "dense" person here is.  

So apparently you won't admit your your mistake (probably just a lie from the start).  It's ok, your lack of honor is not surprising Mr. Money-bags.

BTW< stop using insults or you will get an IM.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you ever get robbed....give em the cash. It's insured.

1. We have a drop safe and I do not have the key.
A drop safe is not the same as a safe holding change. Christ they even make automatic change safes. You put in a certain denomination bill and select the denomination(s) you want in exchange.
2. Some times they want the cash and to shoot someone.
Sometimes people just want to shoot someone. You can be shot walking down the street.
3. I work at a gas station to pay my way through college, but thanks for the personal insult.
Your major isn't finance, is it? Sorry if you are insulted. You posts yer posts and takes yer chances.

From the Dept of the Treasury website:

FAQs: Currency

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

And now you know....the REST of the story

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

---

No.

Wow, it seems as if the post above mine says you are dead wrong.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Since I get most of my fuel locally, I:
1.  Don't patronize stations that don't accept $100s

2.  Don't patronize stations again if they don't accept $50s or $100s, and tell them, when I find out about their policy, at the counter, that I won't be back

3.  Don't patronize stations that have any credit only pumps

If they do not have a policy prominently displayed with regards to not accepting certain denominations of monies, I don't see how they could be on any legal ground not to accept your $100 bill, for instance.  If they do have the policy, I won't pump there, and I suppose they may do as they wish.

Gas station owners are notoriously cheapskates, often times not even having any cameras outside of their facilities to catch drive-offs license plate numbers.  I would think that some law officers on this website, could speak about the problems they have with the amount of calls annually that they have to answer regarding drive-offs.  Some law enforcement agencies are angry that station owners are trying to make them collection agents for their incompetent security measures, and some I've read about in the past, are trying to charge owners for the calls, almost like chronic false fire or burglar alarms.

I understand the security problems with a high dollar business in the open, especially those stations off the beaten path that could be targets for robbery, but with the cost of gas, if you're filling a Suburban from almost empty, or something like that, what difference does it make if your bill is $60, whether you're handing over a $100 bill or three $20s?  The lack of change thing is the only legitimate reason for not accepting a high denomination bill, and even that seems stupid to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#36]
those store policies are moronic

hell, we will GLADLY take legit US cash
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Of course it's legal.

Some people, unlike you, enjoy freedom.

Let me guess, you talk a lot of crap to wash the taste of cum out of your mouth?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Based on (this, go to the bottom) and the previous post about individual businesses being able to develope their own policies, it seems clear that if you already have pumped the gas, they have to either take your money or somehow get the gas out of your car, but they can refuse to sell it to you if you have to pre-pay.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
what if all you have to pay with is a $100 bill?

then it looks like you're fucked.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Is there something hard to understand about that bit?  When a tank of gas burns more than half of a hundred, wtf are they telling me "Sorry, no 100 dollar bills accepted."

I want to know, is it actually LEGAL for retail buisnesses to refuse legal tender as payment?  I mean, can they choose to refuse a five dollar bill?  What about a twenty?  Basically, is there a federal law that covers this, or can the gas station keep telling me to fuc off?

It is legal for them to refuse to do business with you for whatever reason, so long as they are consistant and it is not an EO issue...

THERE IS NO LAW THAT REQUIRES A PRIVATE BUSINESS TO ACCEPT CASH.

They must accept 'US Dollars' in some form - MasterCard and Visa satasfy this just fine...

'NO CASH'  or a bill limit is IMHO no different than 'NO CHECKS', IMHO...

I keep a $20 in my car usually JUST IN CASE I leave the charge card at home & run low on gas, but   other than that, I haven't paid CASH for anything but road tolls in YEARS...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what if all you have to pay with is a $100 bill?

go ahead and pump it,if they refuse to accept it leave.

not sure what would happen between you and the law.

but officer i tried to pay him and he refused to take this $100 bill.

You would be arrested for a drive-off (shoplifting)...

The law says you must pay. They get to determine what forms of payment are accepted...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Is is one interesting thread......

Just like a 'Glock vs 1911' or 'semi auto vs revolvers' or 'Chevy vs Dodge vs Ford'......

But it's all about "cash vs plastic" aka 'paper vs electronic'..........

edit-
Each has its place....

How about the signs that say, "Only $50.00 in change"......

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#43]
The only right way to handle this is to take the idiot over to the carwash next door,  empty your ashtray of change, put it into the coin slot, shove the wand so far up the cashiers ass , hit steam, and then spray all the shit out from between his ears.

Stand back , you do not need the dumb fucks dumb shit all over you.

PeteCo , I agree, with you. If they do not want to take my money , I ask them if thier bitch will, or sister, mom... you get the drift.  When your done , you get $95-  $100 back.  

Cash is what face to face deals are for, ya never know where that impulse buying feeling drops in .

oneSoneK sounds like he needs a job where he is the wand teser.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You are right, we should keep 500$ in the drawer at the opening of every business day because making the business a better target for stop and rob is a brilliant idea.  My taking a bullet in the ass is worth it to save you a trip to the bank.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$100 isnt shit.

So you are another one, huh?  So I guess you must spend atleast $1,000 a week in cash since you can't do your spending in $50's and $20's, right??

Another big spender...

Like I said from the very start, it's only the people with big egos.  $100 ain't shit, right?

oneSoneK

Stop being a little baby.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You're ticked off about THAT? So hand 'em a twenty or two twenties if the fuel was over 20 bux, shit, use the ATM or Visa/MC option! Jeeze, pick your battles better or you're going to have a stroke! I can't believe the trivial things some people go apeshit over.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#47]
I live in a town of 200 people, and our gas station gladly accepts 100's.  
Must be nice to be able to refuse service to those with money to pay for it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh really?  How much money do you think are in all the registers at a Wal-Mart?  Gee, it's a wonder they aren't subject to robberies with the firepower of the Heat bank heist.  

Somehow you think that my paying with a $100 bill is going to result in a bullet in your ass?  Classic

Anyone who decides to rob a store is going to take into account how much money there is and many other factors.  Like if there are cameras or 75 people in the store which Wal Mart has.  And having large amount of cash to cater to people too lazy to go to a bank is too much bait for a small store with only one person at the register, ok?

Quoted:
You have $25 dollars in your register, that's IT!? I had more in that when I worked fast food!

1 10$ bill, 2-3 5$ bills, 15-25 1$ bills, Quarters, Nickels, Dimes, 60$ total.
Most people pay their gas bills with credit cards or have close to exact change, so you do not need a huge stack of 10s and 20s and you owuld not want one anyway.

How would a criminal know exactly what is in your register without working there or being a close friend/relative of someone who does work there ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#49]

The law says you must pay. They get to determine what forms of payment are accepted...

Okay, lemme get this straight.

You are driving across country, {as I frequently do}, you pull into a truck stop in the middle of the night, {as I frequently do},  You hit the buttons on the pump indicating you will pay cash inside {no, I don't do this, but bear with me}, you fill up your vehicle, walk to the front door and see a sign stating "This establishment only accepts Buffalo Nickles, Indian Head Pennies, and $2.00 bills"

You continue inside, lay out your 3- $20.00 bills to pay for your $50.00 worth of fuel.

So, Dave A,

You would be arrested for a drive-off (shoplifting)...
, would this still hold true?

Give me a break.

If the signage was posted on the pump, fine.  If you don't see the sign until you are walking into the establishment, not so fine.  Your dream cop who you think would arrest me for a drive off would cuff you for stupidity then tazer your dog to drive the point home.

To those of you who think a $100.00 is high roller territory

I guess all I can say is, Hope you enjoy your life behind the counter at the C-Store.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is an argument that comes up often on Internet forums. The answer is no, they do not have to accept it. The statement "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" means that that piece of paper can be used to pay debts. It doesn't mean it has to be accepted.

---

No.

This is actually a very interesting argument, where does your information come from ?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top