Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:37:44 PM EDT
Is 8 years old too young for a BB gun?  I gave my nephew a BB gun for Christmas with my sister's ok and all hell broke loose.  My dad did everything possible to keep my nephew from getting it to include calling the local police to see if it was legal!  Yeah, I hate to admit it, but my dad's a liberal, so's mom.  Somehow me and my sister turned out right and even though she doesn't own a gun she's pro-gun and a diehard conservative.

Anyway, just wanted other's opinion on this, so let's hear it.

Robert
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I god a Red Ryder for Christmas when I was 4
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
My oldest got a Red Ryder when he was 7.  Youngest got one last Christmas at 5.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
DAMN!  That was quick.  He's now the proud owner of a Red Ryder.  Now, as long as he doesn't shoot his eye out everything should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My boy is getting a 410 for his 8th birthday. he got bored with the BB gun pretty quick. He is a wonder with my 10-22. Gets everyone attention at the range when he's poppin clay pigons at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My son had a Red Ryder when he was six.  It didn't shoot straight, so we got him a Daisy Grizzly when he was seven.  He's eight now and loves to shoot.  He only shoots it with me and ALWAYS wears youth shooting glasses.  It depends on how responsible he is, combined with how responsible his parents are.  I think eight is fine.

As an aside, you and your sister need to work on your dad, maybe even remind him that he is not your nephew's father.  BTW - where is eight year old's dad in all of this?  Unless your father is raising your nephew, it needs to be made clear that he has NO input.  He may have to learn that lesson the hard way.  Your dad also needs to be reminded that TN is conservative country, where we value our constitutuional rights.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't get one till I was 12 but it wasn't a Red Ryder either. It was a Daisy 880 10 stroke, a little more serious.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
All depends on the kid.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad gave me his Red Ryder when I was 7.  

We were at my Grandmother's house in the summer and he gave me the rifle.  He took me out into the yard and let me take a shot at the metal garbage can.  I was probably about 40 feet from can.  I took careful aim and pulled the trigger.

The BB bounced off the garbage can and hit my dad in the thigh!  My dad turned it into a lesson of what can happen with a BB gun.

Of all the guns in my safe, my Red Ryder still means the most to me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#9]
8-12, but your the best judge of your kids sense of responsability.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought my oldest boy a Daisy 105 "Buck" (with the Tru-Glo front sight) about the time he turned 5. I had to recontour the grip portion of the stock so he could hold it properly, but other than that everything has been fine.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
All depends on the kid.

+1

I know some 30 year olds that shouldn't have even know what a BB gun is.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My daughter got her red rider at 6
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I got mine when I was Three from my grandfather, I bought one for my grandson last year he was four years old, he knows he is only allowed to have it when I am with him which is alot of the time and we always have a little training session on safty first thing, he and I both enjoy the time together, I'am very sad your MoM and DaD feel that way, Be strong train with the young man and show them it's not a bad thing
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All depends on the kid.

+1

I know some 30 year olds that shouldn't have even know what a BB gun is.

+2 on that.

He lives in VA, which is still a pretty gun friendly state, though I think that they've got a "one gun a month" thing there.

His dad is fine with it.  He was raised around guns and hunted when he was younger, but doesn't anymore.  As for reminding my dad that he's not raising him we're all always having to remind him about that.

He's got child's safety glasses and knows that he can't touch the gun or the BBs without an adult.  The gun and BBs are kept where he can't get to them without my sister or her husband.

My dad seems to have forgotten that he gave me a pellet gun when I was about that age, with the same rules.  He claims that my memory is faulty, but everyone else remembers me having a pellet rifle.  Oh well, he'll get over it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Daisy 1894 "Spittin Image" - Tender age of 5.

Some of my fondest memories.  I found a like new example in the original box on one of the auction sights a couple of years ago, and paid WAY to much money for it.  It occupies a prominent place in my gun safe, right next to the AR's.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#17]
When I got my first Red Ryder (well, actually it was the K-Mart ripoff), my dad had to cut three inches off the stock to shorten the LOP for me.

8 is when they should get their first .22
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#19]
8 too young? Depends on the kid. I got my 5 Yr old boy a airsoft mp5 for x-mass. And my daughter who is 10 claimed my mp661k. But both kids shoot my ar-15 and other 22 cal rifles too. So YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#20]
we let 6 year olds shoot AR's.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#21]
My daughter got a Daisy buck when she was 5.  She did so well with it, I got her a .22LR  Savage Cub for the rifle range and more recently, a Daisy Avanti 499 target BB gun for the basement.  She is currently 6.

The 499 is a lot of fun.  It has real target sights (globe front and peep rear sights) and is accurate enough at 5 meters to put all shots into a ragged hole.  She does extremely well with it from prone but it is too heavy for her in any other position.  She can shoot the Buck standing with a little assistance.  As a matter of fact, I like to shoot the 499 too, especially to practice sitting position.

Just make sure they wear eye protection at all times.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I got my Red Ryder when I was 13.  I saved the money, asked my parents if I could buy it, and I paid for it myself.  I was then taught gun saftey by my father, and I had to read a gun saftey book.

I still have that gun.  I will never get rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#23]
My 5 year old also got a Daisy Buck this year .... perfect size for him ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top