Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't like it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
horrible beyond belief...a couple decent combat scenes but they were incidental and simply overwhelmed by the stultifying dialogue and storyline...

watch it since ya got it but have the fast fwd button ready!

ETA: my fave story. i saw this with a guadalcanal navy vet (now deceased) and when we walked out he had this pained expression on his face. i asked him what was wrong and he looked up at me with this confused look and asked, "what the hell was that???" there was NOTHING in that movie that he could relate to his own experiences and he was there for quite awhile!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Isn't this a Sean Penn movie?

Like I said Mr. Penn getting molly-whooped in the testicales by a stray machinegun round in the movie would have least brought the film rating up to half a star status.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
There are others here who hated it, who also do not like fake Ahnold shoot-em-ups.

Thin Red Line projects the leftist view of Vietnam onto WWII in general, Guadalcanal in particular. Plus, there was a scene where they are using nylon y-harness suspenders - Clooney's wearing them, iirc.

Big thumbs down.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Very, very boring.  Whatever you do don't try to watch it while sleepy.z

LOL +1, I could never make it through the whole movie without falling asleep, definately a good cure for insomnia.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
As one might say after a bad meal.   It gave me the poop.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Run like heck.

Suckiest war movie ever.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
it's a very good movie.

That right there has done more to damage a postive image of you more than anything else you;ve ever said.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thought it would be good...got it for my bday this year. I did not care for it one bit

Even the girlfriend thought it was too slow
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There are others here who hated it, who also do not like fake Ahnold shoot-em-ups.

Thin Red Line projects the leftist view of Vietnam onto WWII in general, Guadalcanal in particular. Plus, there was a scene where they are using nylon y-harness suspenders - Clooney's wearing them, iirc.

Big thumbs down.

Yea I think the old LC-1 utility harness was pretty much a vietnam-era issue item.

Those liberal cockbites like all that subliminal bullshit.

I think they think it gives them a sense of power over the masses.

No wonder they deem friggin idiots like Micheal Moore  one of their leaders.

Those sorry assed communist hippies can go take a flying leap out of the back of a chunook with a two dollar umbrella for a fuck'in drag chute.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Sucked
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I loved it.  Much more vibrant than Saving Private Ryan.

The grassy hills were beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd say it's prolly worth two hours of your life...I've seen far worse movies.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Worst piece of shit ever. The book is even worse.

All our fine young troops are fuckups, cowards, or psychos looking for glory because they are fucking insane. Written by an anti-war commie sympathiser.

James Jones, the author of the book, "The Thin red Line" also wrote "From Here to Eternity".

During World War II he served in the US army as a sergeant (1939-44).

Jones was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked; on Guadalcanal he was injured in a combat, and received the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

He also boxed as a welterweight in Golden Gloves tournaments.

To make up for his lack of higher education, Jones attended the University of Hawaii for a short time in 1942 while stationed on Oahu. In 1945 he attended New York University.

The Thin Red Line, about raw recruits who land on Guadalcanal, demonstrated the author's ability to create many individualized characters and dramatic episodes.

The guy sounds pretty hardcore to me and wrote about the war from first hand experience.  That's probably what you don't like about it.  It's based on actual experience instead of a john Wayne bullshit cartoon.

Anyway, the movie is kind of strange and not much like the book.  I think it's worth a look anyway.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Just because he served doesn't discount the rest of his life.
Oh and what I didn't like about it had to do with exactly what I wrote in my quote above. I both read the book and watched the movie and both were off.
I think the lefty fag was projecting his psychosis onto everyone else, as they always do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Hated it the first time, but then it grew on me.

Its a mood movie.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Pure suckage.  I hated it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Even my drama-driven girlfriend at the time hated it.  She loved artsy stuff, but was bored as hell.  All those long scenes where you just watch someone walking slowing while some clown narrates this awful dialogue.  God it was torture!  

I'd rather let a D9 tractor run over my legs than watch that POS again!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Why don't you watch it so that you can form your own opinion instead of going on the opinions of others.

I thought it was a pretty good film. Definitely well done, definitely different in terms of a traditional war movie.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just because he served doesn't discount the rest of his life.
Oh and what I didn't like about it had to do with exactly what I wrote in my quote above. I both read the book and watched the movie and both were off.
I think the lefty fag was projecting his psychosis onto everyone else, as they always do.

fair enough
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
worst movie ever.  not only should you return it, but you should hold a grudge against the person who bought it for you, trying to waste a couple of hours of you life that you could use productively, such as sorting last months newspapers before throwing them out.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Why don't you watch it so that you can form your own opinion instead of going on the opinions of others.

Riiight.

Next, drive a nail thru your own foot rather than beleive others when they say driving a nail thru your foot hurts.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'd rather let a D9 tractor run over my legs than watch that POS again!

you think maybe that's what happened to rachel corrie??? it was sean penn's fault!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Worst piece of shit ever. The book is even worse.

All our fine young troops are fuckups, cowards, or psychos looking for glory because they are fucking insane. Written by an anti-war commie sympathiser.

Bingo!! Ding Ding Ding!!!!!! We have a winner!

Tell them what he has won Johnny!!!!!

Well, hughjafj, you have won an all expense paid trip to the land of the TRUTH!!!  and since you are already there, it saves our butts HUGE amounts of cash!!!  Enjoy your time in the Land of the Truth, seeing truth, telling the truth and being true, just all around!

ETA: the writer of the movie is a suckass assmonkey and to the other post, the title of the movie is 84 Charlie Mopic.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Sucks thought  I don't know which was worse Thin Red Line or Windtalkers.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's less a war movie than an art movie.  If you like war movies but avoid art movies, you'll hate it.  

I watched it but wanted to commit suicide at the credits.

Some scenes were cool.........others sucked........NOT Nick Nolte's best work......John Cusack's character was good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#28]
During teh first 30 minutes of teh movie, I literally looked twice at my ticket, and went out and checked the marquee to make sure I had gone into the right theatre - that I was watching Thin Red Line and not Sophies Choice or Steel Magnolias, or some other chick flick crap.

The Thin Dead Plot.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top