Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2005 3:43:27 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a kukri for daily use. Anybody have a recommendation please?

Michael
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:44:13 PM EDT
A which?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:50:19 PM EDT
I have the Cold Steel one, blade is fine but the sheath has fallen apart. Overpriced IMO.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:53:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:54:10 PM EDT
People I know have ordered from them and not had any problems.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:06:28 PM EDT
Follow the link in this thread. I bought 6 of the model depicted, and they are absolutely beautiful. The workmanship is flawless.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:38:33 AM EDT
www.himalayan-imports.com/

I have three from these guys. They run a lot of specials and are nice folks, you can get one blessed or a pic of the guy who made yours, they are all signed. Top notch folks to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:26:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lonegunman:

I have three from these guys. They run a lot of specials and are nice folks, you can get one blessed or a pic of the guy who made yours, they are all signed. Top notch folks to deal with.

+1, also the cold steel light has been in my bag of tools for a long time and serves me well
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 4:46:53 AM EDT by Stottman]
Cold Steel one is supposed to be pretty good....

Best way though is to get one off a British Gurka soldier through a trade....:) ..Got mine that way.. Then it comes with a cool camo sheath for your LBE..
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:56:58 AM EDT
Atlanta Cutlery has some .
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:10:40 AM EDT
Coldsteel has 2 different kinds of kukris. They have the gurka and LTC kurkri which run a couple hundred dollars and are absolutely top knotch. Then they have the "machete" class kurkri which is around $15. One is significantly higher quality than the other. I have a gurka kukri from them and wouldnt trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:16:29 AM EDT

+1
Get the real thing, you will not be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:35:21 AM EDT
Gurkha House or Himalayan Imports will set you up with the real deal. Cold Steel is decent, but the Nepalese ones are better.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:02:46 AM EDT
Tagged...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:28:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LevelEdge:

+1

+2 I have 2 from these guys, great quality.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:58:23 PM EDT
Blade forums recommends www.himalayan-imports.com, but hold out for the blemishes?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:07:59 PM EDT
Definitely go Himalayan Imports. They are true users and are tougher than nails. Go over to bladeforums and check out their forum their. The Owner, Yangdu, posts daily deals over there and people scarf them up like there is no tomorrow. They are usually around 40-50% off of the asking prices. I admit, I am addicted to Himalayan Imports products. Here are a few pics of my most recently acquired Khukuri's, a 16.5" Chiruwa Ang Khola by Kumar, and a 20" Chitlangi by Bura.

Chiruwa Ang Khola.

Chitlangi

These are amazing blades for the money. Here are a few links to get you started.

www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=739

Do a little reasearch, and you will find that these are the best Khukuris out there.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:11:51 PM EDT
which is the pick between the Cold Steel Kukri and LTC? Pros/cons, differences? I'm about to order a Becker Brute, but may opt for one of these instead.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:12:11 PM EDT
Good info! What's the best general purpose Kukri to get from Himalayan Imports?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:18:42 PM EDT
My Bura special order LH silver mounted, walnut handled 18" Dui-chirra has seen heavy use for 5-6 years now and still delivers.

HI is the way to go. I like something in the 16-18" range, medium weight like a WWII or chitlangi or dui-chirra and don't like the "chiruwa" style as well because they transfer too much shock to the hand.

They're hand forged, differencially tempered 1095 or 5160, my favorite is 5160 at R-60 at the edge.

The blems are rarely worth mentioning, the kind of stuff that's going to happen as soon as you use it once anyway.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:11 PM EDT
Glockshooter,

As someone who's owned a brute, both CS kukri styles and several nepali khukuris I gotta say go straight for the real thing, the brute doesn't work nearly as well, and the cold steel is a pale imitation of the real thing.

You need the differential hardening, rat tail tang and forged profile to really get the most out of the concept.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
Good info! What's the best general purpose Kukri to get from Himalayan Imports?

I would say check out the Ang Khola's and the WW2 models. I personally love my Chiruwa Ang Khola as a workhorse. It chops better than most axes and is very comfortable to use. Also, If you break or bend a Chiruwa Ang Khola, they will send you two replacements for free! Can't beat that warranty!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:29:36 PM EDT
I have a relative who is a retired Col. in the Gurkha Regiment. I am hoping to get one from him.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:04:34 PM EDT
I personally have three ea HI Kukri's . I carry a 15" on my pack when Hicking. It will take care of anything without a gun that I come into contact with. HI is the real deal. Wardawg
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:43:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LHD:
Coldsteel has 2 different kinds of kukris. They have the gurka and LTC kurkri which run a couple hundred dollars and are absolutely top knotch. Then they have the "machete" class kurkri which is around $15. One is significantly higher quality than the other. I have a gurka kukri from them and wouldnt trade it for anything.

while i also like the hym imports, as far as cold steel goes this should help you out. i keep the Gurkha Light Kukri in my bob most of the year. i have been very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:50:25 AM EDT
kukri house has a good selection. very friendly too.

personally, i prefer the more traditional blade like the m1917 bolo machete or a good 1/4" thick bowie.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:19:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
which is the pick between the Cold Steel Kukri and LTC? Pros/cons, differences? I'm about to order a Becker Brute, but may opt for one of these instead.

The gurka kukri is a remake of the original shape while the LTC is more like a machete with circle lobe added to the blade near the tip. My gurka will cut 2 inch saplings with one swing with almost no arm work, just the inertia from swinging it. I do keep it sharp enough to shave though. It will hold that edge through 3 or 4 day long outings of me clearing brush too. Its a nasty SOB.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:42:47 AM EDT
Alright, so I call Cold Steel today. The button on the sheath's strap on my Ghurka is broken. There's even a 5 year warranty stated on their website. Well they tell me the warranty doesn't apply to the sheath. It wouldn't cost them but a few cents to fix the button, but they insist I need to buy a new sheath. Pay top dollar for a POS mass produced blade and this is the customer service they give? Cold Steel sucks
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:49:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hellraiser:

Originally Posted By LevelEdge:

+1

+2 I have 2 from these guys, great quality.

I have had two and both had serious problems. I also have a Cold Steel and LOVE IT.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:58:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DukeSnookems:
Alright, so I call Cold Steel today. The button on the sheath's strap on my Ghurka is broken. There's even a 5 year warranty stated on their website. Well they tell me the warranty doesn't apply to the sheath. It wouldn't cost them but a few cents to fix the button, but they insist I need to buy a new sheath. Pay top dollar for a POS mass produced blade and this is the customer service they give? Cold Steel sucks

i dont know about that pos blade, mine has held up very well and holds its edge over havy use, maybe your were just a dick on the phone and they didnt feel like helping you out. i have had good luck with there customer servise including knife replacement and a free seath for a knife i bought at a gun show that i knew didnt come with one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:30:20 AM EDT
tag.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:18:32 AM EDT
Himalayan Imports all the way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:29:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:18:46 PM EDT
Well, just bought a WWII model from the following, after doing a bit of research on bladeforums. They don't get the glowing reviews of HI, but sounded like a good value for the money for a beginning blade.

I'll let you guys know what I think after it shows up.

http://stores.ebay.com/KHUKURI-HOUSE-USA

Michael
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:51:01 PM EDT
I have used and abused the one I bought for $20 from Atlanta Cutlery for more than 20 years. It's a bitch to sharpen, it discolors easy, but it keeps a wicked edge forever and it won't break. I wish that I had gotten the real long "ceremonial" one for the heck of it when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:55:09 PM EDT
tagaroonie
Top Top