Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 1:18:07 PM EDT
U.S. Navy awards contract to Textron, Boeing
Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The U.S. Navy yesterday awarded Textron Inc.'s Bell Helicopter unit and
Boeing Co. a $1 billion (US) contract, a 50-50 joint venture, to buy
components for 16 V-22 tiltrotor aircraft through September 2009.

The Navy said the contract would pay for long lead components associated
with the manufacture and delivery of 14 Fiscal 2007 Lot 11 Marine Corps
version of the plane, also known as the MV-22, and two fiscal 2007 Lot
11 Air Force versions, also known as the CV-22.

The Pentagon in September decided to accelerate production of the V-22, or  
Osprey, which takes off and lands like a helicopter but can fly like a plane.

Bell and Boeing have a 50-50 joint venture to build the aircraft for the Marine Corps and the Air Force to replace the Navy's aging workhorse CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter.

It can fly twice as fast at more than twice the altitude, with three times the payload and six times the range.

Work would be completed by September 2009, the Navy said.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I must be mistaken, but I thought the Osprey was Deep 6'd a while back.  Guess I was mistaken.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I must be mistaken, but I thought the Osprey was Deep 6'd a while back.  Guess I was mistaken.

Yes you are.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Program was killed a couple of times.  USMC has resuscitated it though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]

They're here to stay.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Program was killed a couple of times.  USMC Politics has resuscitated it though.

Fixed it for you...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Program was killed a couple of times.  USMCPolitics has resuscitated it though.

Fixed it for you...

He was right the first time. Your fix, wasn't.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
They are constantly flying over my apartment near lejeune, seem to work fine, havnt fallen onto my house yet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
pma275.navair.navy.mil/images/gallery/v22_088.jpg
They're here to stay.

Somebody's getting a whuppin'!
Queue up 'Ride of the Valkyries' on the MP3 players guys.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Program was killed a couple of times.  USMC has resuscitated it though.

thought so.  Thx
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The USMC will field the V-22 just so they can be different from the other armed services.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]

........I thought the Osprey was Deep 6'd a while back..........

So far that POS has killed more USGI's than any of the enemy!

BOONDOOGLE!!...........a Dangerous Boondoogle!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The V-22 is one of the programs I work on, been at it off an on since '88.

The USAF is setting up shop for the first V-22s at Kirtland AFB New Mexico as we speak.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

... Complete Bullshit.

... You obviously know nothing about the system, her history and recent flight tests.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The USMC will field the V-22 just so they can be different from the other armed services.

Yea, never mind the fact that the Air Force is going to be operating the CV-22 and the Navy is going to be operating the HV-22.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I cant wait until we see pictures of one of those things setup in a gunship configuration.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I cant wait until we see pictures of one of those things setup in a gunship configuration.  

Is there going to be one? I heard talk, but then heard that the USMC decided that the Cobra was more than good enough.

I'd assume it would have some sort of defensive gun, like most choppers. You V-22 guys, got any info for us?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Complete Bullshit.

... You obviously know nothing about the system, her history and recent flight tests.

Don't worry, look at his location.  Everything he says is a LIE.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there going to be one? I heard talk, but then heard that the USMC decided that the Cobra was more than good enough.

I'd assume it would have some sort of defensive gun, like most choppers. You V-22 guys, got any info for us?

... Yes, but none for the public
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you work with them? Both when I was in Norfolk and now here at Lejeune they have been EVERYWHERE flying around, where else are they testing them?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you work with them? Both when I was in Norfolk and now here at Lejeune they have been EVERYWHERE flying around, where else are they testing them?

... Yes. Our ordnance engineers are looking at various configurations and hard-points for external stores and weapons.

... We have yet to have a unit fly into our facility for flight tests.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edwards AFB has two CV-22s.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They're here to stay.

Is this a real photo or a photoshop? If it`s a photochop, nice job. I didn`t think there were enough airframes around for that pic.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're here to stay.

Is this a real photo or a photoshop? If it`s a photochop, nice job. I didn`t think there were enough airframes around for that pic.

Then somebody was busy with the photoshop.
I've seen other photo's of a formation in flight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a wierd structural dynamics type o' dream about the V-22 last night.

We were following a V-22 taking off in STO mode from an austere highway with trees along the ditches and the right hand rotor got into tree tops.  The rotors and engines set up a "bar bell" mode vibrating about the longitudinal centerline of the airplane; we're sitting back watching the show, everyone with a WTF?, and I say out loud there's no way the wings and attach was sized for that condition!  Four or five large amplitude cycles later, the vehcle is clear, we say, "Well what the fuck, nothin' fell off, let's go!."

I would just about kill to fly a tilt rotor.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I had a wierd structural dynamics type o' dream about the V-22 last night.

We were following a V-22 taking off in STO mode from an austere highway with trees along the ditches and the right hand rotor got into tree tops.  The rotors and engines set up a "bar bell" mode vibrating about the longitudinal centerline of the airplane; we're sitting back watching the show, everyone with a WTF?, and I say out loud there's no way the wings and attach was sized for that condition!  Four or five large amplitude cycles later, the vehcle is clear, we say, "Well what the fuck, nothin' fell off, let's go!."

I would just about kill to fly a tilt rotor.

Saving your spare change for the 609 to come out?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Finally the ball seems to be rolling on this project.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted: The USMC will field the V-22 just so they can be different from the other armed services.
Yea, never mind the fact that the Air Force is going to be operating the CV-22 and the Navy is going to be operating the HV-22.  

The USAF and the USN might get into it afterwards, but the V-22 is a USMC pet project. That way the USMC can say that they rest of them followed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: The USMC will field the V-22 just so they can be different from the other armed services.

The USAF and the USN might get into it afterwards, but the V-22 is a USMC pet project. That way the USMC can say that they rest of them followed.

You don't follow the program, do you.

The USMC and the USAF have been partners in the V-22 program for a while now.

The USMC and the USAF have been holding joint V-22 test operations for the past two years.
The first two USAF CV-22's were USMC MV-22's that were modified to CV-22 specs.

The US Navy is still on the fence as far as the V-22 goes since they have gone to an (almost) all H-60 common fleet.

The Boeing Company
The first production CV-22 was delivered to the USAF this summer.

ST. LOUIS, Sept. 19, 2005 -- The U.S. Air Force has taken delivery of the first production CV-22 Osprey at the Bell Helicopter production facility in Amarillo, Texas.

Produced jointly by Bell Helicopter, a Textron Company [NYSE: TXT] and The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA], the CV-22 is the U.S. Air Force Special Operations variant of the V-22 and will be used for long-range special operations missions, contingency operations, and evacuations and maritime operations.

"The CV-22 delivers on its promise," said Bob Kenney, Vice President, Bell Boeing V-22 Joint Program Director. "The combination of vertical lift capability, speed and range provides the special operations warfighter with the aircraft necessary to complete long-range missions."

In addition to the standard communications and navigations suite found on all V-22s, the CV-22 has an advanced electronic warfare suite, a multi-mode radar which permits flight at very low altitude in zero visibility, a retractable aerial refueling probe, four radios and flight engineer seat/crew positions in the cockpit.

The current program calls for the U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command to field 50 CV-22s to join the global war on terrorism and other special operations missions. Prior to initial operational capability in 2009, the CV-22 will complete developmental testing at Edwards AFB, Calif., followed by initial operational test and evaluation. Then the aircraft will conduct an operational utility evaluation next year.

VMX-22, the U.S. Marine Corps Tiltrotor Test and Evaluation Squadron, recently completed the MV-22 operational test and evaluation, a critical step leading to a full-rate production decision.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#30]

You're an idiot, and so wrong.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, actually, they won't be 'different' for long...

The Army is looking at a 2-wing 4-engine variant to airlift their new tinker-toy-tank (FCS).... Of course, said aircraft is as 'conceptual' as FCS at this moment, so for now the Army gets the Chinook (cough shithook) - one of the few aircraft known to have midair collisions with itself (rotor strike - upper & lower rotors make contact -> bad news)....

No system is perfect...

Yeah, this had it's problems, but the CH46 and CH47 have theirs too... As does the CH53...

As for the Air Force, this thing is ideal as a long-range pilot retriever.... Speed & range are better than a normal helo...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
(Sarcasm on) WOW! And we thought the insurgents were good at killing Marines now we can outdo them with their own equipment!!!!!(sarcasm off)
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#33]
(Sarcasm on) WOW! And we thought the insurgents were good at killing Marines now we can outdo them with their own equipment!!!!!(sarcasm off)
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a question:

How much damage can one of these things take? How well protected are the hydraulics? I know the whole tilting wing concept is sexy as hell, but what's going to happen when you put one down on a "contested" landing area.

G
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to have one,instant high-speed party wagon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I have a question:

How much damage can one of these things take? How well protected are the hydraulics? I know the whole tilting rotating wing concept is sexy as hell, but what's going to happen when you put one down on a "contested" landing area.

G

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#37]

You obviously know nothing about the system, her history and recent flight tests.

I Would never get on the death trap.

1st BN 5th Marines 1st Mar Div WPNS C. Co 0341

I can talk about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#38]

You obviously know nothing about the system, her history and recent flight tests.

I can talk about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Oops Misfire!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a question:

How much damage can one of these things take? How well protected are the hydraulics? I know the whole tilting rotating wing concept is sexy as hell, but what's going to happen when you put one down on a "contested" landing area.

G

Work with me here. Tilt, rotate, it still involves a s--t load of hydraulics. What happens if a line breaks?

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just asking a question.

G
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I can talk about it.

... That's OK sir, many a brave US Marine are boarding as we speak - and many will in the defense of this great Country again tomorrow!

... Thank you for you service!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top