Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2005 9:58:18 AM EDT
www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/12/28/several_questioned_in_milwaukee_beating/
Sounds to me like time to floor that car and who gets run over, gets run over. No way am I going to stay stationary and let a mob pull me from a car.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MILWAUKEE --A motorist who was dragged from his car and severely beaten, apparently by a mob of young people, was well enough to talk to officers, and several other people also were questioned, police said Wednesday.

The 50-year-old man, Samuel McClain, was hospitalized in critical condition with head trauma after the beating late Monday on the city's north side. Officers were able to interview him Tuesday night, police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said at a briefing.

"He's sitting up and talking," Schwartz said. She declined to give details on what he said.

While he remained in critical condition Wednesday, his condition was stabilizing, said Kathy Sieja, spokeswoman for Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in suburban Wauwatosa.

City officials asked for the public's help in finding the assailants, believed to be between 16 and 23 years old. It was the latest in a string of mob beatings in the city since 2002.

The young people surrounded the man's vehicle after he honked at them because they were in the middle of the street, police said.

"It's Christmas week. A guy's trying to drive down the street. What's the problem here?" said Mayor Tom Barrett.

Police would not say how many people detectives were questioning, and they weren't sure if any of them were directly involved in the beating, Schwartz said.

"We're questioning anybody we could find to bring in," she said.

McClain was going to a friend's house, his niece, Jennifer McClain, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Several mob beatings have taken place in Milwaukee's inner city in recent years. In 2002, more than a dozen people, mostly boys, chased a man through the streets and beat him to death with shovel handles, rakes and tree limbs.

A man with schizophrenia died after being beaten and robbed by a group in July 2004. Six teens were charged; one was convicted, charges against four were dropped and one is awaiting trial.

Four days after that attack, a 14-year-old boy was kicked, punched and hit on the head with a piece of lumber after he exchanged words with a girl. He was in a coma for two weeks. Also that summer, four brothers were beaten by a group armed with bats, bottles, sticks and socks stuffed with canned food.
© Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:01:09 AM EDT
And this just goes to show why we need CCW. We have a case in the pipe(oral arguments in feb) that will at the least open up CCW in vehicals..........

Hopefuly that won't matter because the CCW law will be passed by then(though I doubt it)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:09:28 AM EDT
I'm all for CCW, but unless you are pinned in by other cars, if a mob gets in your way and then attempts to enter your car it's time for gasoline powered defense. Why get pulled out or drawn out with a gun? Just god damn go. Nothing wrong with having a gun availible but I'd prefer means to escape the mob first and foremost.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:15:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 10:15:21 AM EDT by metroplex]

Originally Posted By Grunteled:
I'm all for CCW, but unless you are pinned in by other cars, if a mob gets in your way and then attempts to enter your car it's time for gasoline powered defense. Why get pulled out or drawn out with a gun? Just god damn go. Nothing wrong with having a gun availible but I'd prefer means to escape the mob first and foremost.

Then your Grand theft auto 3 skillz should kick in... CCW + car
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:19:37 AM EDT

Another mob beating.

I thought this thread was going to be about baseball bats and a shallow grave in the middle of a corn field.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:24:16 AM EDT
[sarcasm mode] It's a good thing that WI doesn't have CCW or there could have been some real violence! [/sarcasm mode]

Not to mention that this is the result of failed Dem rule in both MKE itself and WI as a whole, most notably in the repeal of CCW the last time by Democratic WI Gov. Doyle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:22:10 PM EDT
Yup, much better to be a victim of violence so some politician can snatch a headline one day than to be able to have the means to defend yourself.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:38:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

+1

Violent people surround my truck and violent people are going to die under it. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:12:41 AM EDT
and the Governor doesn't want his citizens to have the right to carry
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:14:52 AM EDT

City officials asked for the public's help in finding the assailants, believed to be between 16 and 23 years old.

I think I've seen some of those 16 to 23 year olds here. I'd better call.
Top Top