Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/27/2005 11:36:43 PM EDT
After some recent events (see other thread) I've decided to put a permenant "trunk gun" in my truck. I'll decide on a specific gun later but would I be better served with a rifle caliber cartridge or a pistol cartridge? Pistol cal would be lighter and mags would store better in the glove box. Besides that, factors like car door penetration shouldn't be a factor because chances are they aren't an immediate threat to you. Any reason to choose a rifle cal for sure?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:41:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:43:50 PM EDT
I keep a M4gery and a Underfolder AK behind the seat of my truck
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:44:04 PM EDT
I use a 7x57mm Mauser VZ24. I keep ammo on four or five stripper clips. A scout scope leaves the stripper clip guide open to use as designed. Since I already carry a pistol when I decide it's time for a rifle I want a real rifle not a sub-rifle
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:46:59 PM EDT
Ak

Build up a beater, make sure it works perfectly. Put a bunch of mags with it, and a way to quickly grab them, sling them, and go. (I think a lot of people miss that part...how to grab 4 or more mags and run with them.)

Then when you are out shooting, from time to time take it out exactly as it is and run the hell out of it...real world test.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:50:56 PM EDT
Grab yourself an ugly .357mag, .44mag, .45colt, or .30-30 lever action. It will deal with anything you will need it within 100yds, and wont scare the sheep. It also gives you between 7 and 15 shots to deal with anything.

Barring that, an old beater SKS. Most people wont recognize it, and will just say "rifle".
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:17:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 12:18:49 AM EDT by cms81586]
No sheep in these fields, and I'm not old enough to carry a handgun yet. I was thinking SKS but would like something a little more compact. Possibly a properly working WASR with a EG sidefold stock, and a mag pouch w/ 4 mags. What's the legality of having loaded mags in a vehicle (not in the rifle of course) ? I'm in PA if that matters.

ETA: I would think that a cheap lever .30-30 would work nice, but loading would be slow and you would have to carry loose rounds.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:08:01 AM EDT
Handi Rifle

Lever action

Kel-Tec Sub 2000

Kel-Tec SU-16

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:16:05 AM EDT
AK, preferably 7.62x39
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:33:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cms81586:
No sheep in these fields, and I'm not old enough to carry a handgun yet. I was thinking SKS but would like something a little more compact. Possibly a properly working WASR with a EG sidefold stock, and a mag pouch w/ 4 mags. What's the legality of having loaded mags in a vehicle (not in the rifle of course) ? I'm in PA if that matters.

ETA: I would think that a cheap lever .30-30 would work nice, but loading would be slow and you would have to carry loose rounds.

Not exactly. I recall seeing something like this but for centerfire cartridges. I don't remember where I saw it, but that would help you out. MJD
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:39:43 AM EDT
rifle= ar15

why not an AK... ?

simple.. i dont remeber the last time i shot one... cleared a jam..
sure every one says it will go bang...

but if i need a "truck gun" it means i will not be shooting from a bench and simply feel more comfortable with "MY" known aiming system..

what ever you get .. get familuar with it,,

now... why you feel you need a truck gun?

wanting one is way diffrent from needing one...

< in no way asking " why would you need one.. " in a libturd sense,,, "
i am asking why do you need one cause there seems to be a story behind this >

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:40:24 AM EDT
shotgun?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 5:50:06 AM EDT by scotty1911]
in maryland loaded mags means loaded gun, means trip to jail. even if it is in your car. heck we can not even keep loaded mags in the glove box and pistol or rifle in the trunk

edit, to me that means lever action, some body said slow to load, but it is faster than loading a mag because you can drop single round a lot easier than an ar or ak. an sks would also not be a bad way to go with some stripper clips
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:48:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
shotgun?

Dunno. If I were out and about, I'd want a rifle. If I could carry both, I would, but I'd pick rifle over shotgun.

As for caliber, I would guess any of the following:

7.62x39
.44 magnum (in a lever-action)

My biggest heartburn in choosing is not having a $1300 rifle sitting in my car.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:48:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scotty1911:
in maryland loaded mags means loaded gun, means trip to jail. even if it is in your car. heck we can not even keep loaded mags in the glove box and pistol or rifle in the trunk

And people wonder why I won't live in Maryland.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:10:54 AM EDT
What about the Bushmaster Bullpup? It's SHORT for a non-NFA item with a fixed buttstock, accurate (given its full-length barrel), only thing is it needs an optic to be usable. Mag changes are clumsier than on an AR or AK (being a bullpup), but it's a utility gun after all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:31:53 AM EDT
Lever action 357?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:34:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By -brass-:
Handi Rifle

Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot1776:
Handi Rifle

OK, I'll bite, why go with a single shot rifle?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:35:16 AM EDT
7.62x39
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:40:20 AM EDT
M1 carbine, easy to handle relatively high capacity low recoil and deadly @ close range.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:45:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Originally Posted By scotty1911:

And people wonder why I won't live in Maryland.

Hell in TX, loaded mag inserted in rifle with a round in the chamber means loaded gun, which means absolutely nothing even if it's in your car.

Just as long as it's not a handgun if you don't have a pistol permit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:54:51 AM EDT
I went with the Kel-Tec Sub2000 in “Glock Fotey”. I have Glocks so this caliber was what fit my needs. These little (7” x 16” folded) carbines are reliable and only 4 lbs and $300. They will fit into a small travel bag…REMEMBER TO LOCK THE DAMN GUN UP WHEN YOU’RE NOT AROUND!!!! Even it is a PITA.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:08:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Lever action 357?

I'd thought of that, but since I can do the same-sized lever-action in .44 Mag, I figured I'd go with the bigger boom.

That said, I have a .357 Marlin on my wishlist!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:36:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:35:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 1:25:48 PM EDT by AmericanPatriot1776]

Originally Posted By ironoxbows:

Handi Rifle

Handi Rifle

1. Because it is way more likely your car will be stolen or broken into than you needing a rifle to save your life. It is just statisticaly more likely.
2. If your gun is stolen, I would rather have a $120 gun stolen than a $400-$600 gun.
3. Handi rifles can be broken down easily for storage.
4. Handi rifle barrels are interchangeable, so you could have a rifle and shotgun in a small carry case.
6. Statiscaly, you will only need a few well placed shots to deal with a situation.
7. As much as everyone dreams of playing RAMBO here with a semi-automatic rifle and 300 rounds of ammo, it is not likely.
8. Low cost investment.

Just a few reasons, may be not the best, but just my opinions.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:42:43 PM EDT
AK47. Fairly cheap, very reliable, and scary looking enough that you probably wont have to use it should you have to pull it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:49:04 PM EDT
I would go with an AK for the very reason you don't think that you need one: penetration. If I need a rifle while I am out in my car, there is a decent chance that I WILL need it to punch through car doors. 7.62x39 will do that better than 5.56.

Plus AKs are rugged as hell and it would have the best chance of firing after sitting in my trunk for months.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:58:29 PM EDT

1. Because it is way more likely your car will be stolen or broken into than you needing a rifle to save your life. It is just statisticaly more likely.
2. If you gun is stolen, I would rather have a $120 gun stolen than a $400-$600 gun.
4. Handi rifle barrels are interchangeable, so you could have a rifle and shotgun in a small carry case.
6. Statiscaly, you will only need a few well placed shots to deal with a situation.
7. As much as everyone dreams of playing RAMBO here with a semi-automatic rifle and 300 rounds of ammo, it is not likely.
8. Low cost investment.

For straight survival, it sounds hard to beat....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:06:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
I would go with an AK for the very reason you don't think that you need one: penetration. If I need a rifle while I am out in my car, there is a decent chance that I WILL need it to punch through car doors. 7.62x39 will do that better than 5.56.

Plus AKs are rugged as hell and it would have the best chance of firing after sitting in my trunk for months.

Agreed.

My current trunk gun is an AK.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 1:13:07 PM EDT by Master_of_Orion]

Originally Posted By cms81586:
After some recent events (see other thread) I've decided to put a permenant "trunk gun" in my truck. I'll decide on a specific gun later but would I be better served with a rifle caliber cartridge or a pistol cartridge? Pistol cal would be lighter and mags would store better in the glove box. Besides that, factors like car door penetration shouldn't be a factor because chances are they aren't an immediate threat to you. Any reason to choose a rifle cal for sure?

Most bullets out of any gun will go through a car door like it wasn't even there. Even .22lr has been known "personal experience" to go through modern car/truck doors. About the only thing that won't go through a car door is bird shot fired at more than 5 yards away.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:14:22 PM EDT
Truck/trunk guns are horrible ideas. Which is more likely? Your car being broken into or stolen, and your gun being stolen, or you using the trunk gun to fend off the 100 islamic terrorists with that AK? Keep a gun in your car or truck, and all you are going to accomplish is arming a car thief.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:16:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By guardian855:
Truck/trunk guns are horrible ideas. Which is more likely? Your car being broken into or stolen, and your gun being stolen, or you using the trunk gun to fend off the 100 islamic terrorists with that AK? Keep a gun in your car or truck, and all you are going to accomplish is arming a car thief.

true. But if I am going on a road trip I throw an AK and a few mags in the trunk just in case.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:21:58 PM EDT
I use a FAL as a truck rifle
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:24:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 52brandon:

Originally Posted By guardian855:

true. But if I am going on a road trip I throw an AK and a few mags in the trunk just in case.

I do too, but I take it out and secure it at my destination (hotel, friend's house, etc) I don't leave the weapon in the car.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:25:31 PM EDT
What are the legal issues? In Texas, I thought you can't carry a rifle in your trunk but you can carry it on a gun rack in plain view. I think it might be OK if it unloaded? CCW doesn't do anything for you in regards to rifles.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:28:16 PM EDT
I am building up a scout rifle on an M44 for a truck gun.I have a dot sight on it right now,but will replace that with decent pistol scope.I took off the bayonet,put it in a syn stock,B-Square mount.Still need a sling,about a half dozen stripper clips,and a butt cuff to carry loose rounds and I think I will be set.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 1:35:47 PM EDT by David0858]

Originally Posted By DukeSnookems:
What are the legal issues? In Texas, I thought you can't carry a rifle in your trunk but you can carry it on a gun rack in plain view. I think it might be OK if it unloaded? CCW doesn't do anything for you in regards to rifles.

There is no regard to rifles and shotguns in Texas. I suppose if you had so many loaded long guns in your vehicle that it interfered with your driving you could get some kind of driving ticket, but that is it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:37:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colklink:
I am building up a scout rifle on an M44 for a truck gun.I have a dot sight on it right now,but will replace that with decent pistol scope.I took off the bayonet,put it in a syn stock,B-Square mount.Still need a sling,about a half dozen stripper clips,and a butt cuff to carry loose rounds and I think I will be set.

I keep an old Mosin M44 that I bought for $45 in my trunk. Fifty rounds on stripper clips. Get's stolen? So what. I doubt it will be used for a drive by on a Taco Bell in south Dallas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:41:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bcw107:

Originally Posted By colklink:

I keep an old Mosin M44 that I bought for $45 in my trunk. Fifty rounds on stripper clips. Get's stolen? So what. I doubt it will be used for a drive by on a Taco Bell in south Dallas.

That is part of my thinking as well.I dont intend to keep it in the truck all the time,with my job I have go to schools a lot so that is a no go.However I will keep it in a case with loaded stripper clips to through in the trick if I think I need it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:47:26 PM EDT

Handi Rifle

Handi Rifle

2. If your gun is stolen, I would rather have a $120 gun stolen than a $400-$600 gun.
8. Low cost investment.

Which is exactly why I would choose a Mosin M44 or an SKS
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 2:38:42 PM EDT by callgood]

Originally Posted By bcw107:

.............................I keep an old Mosin M44 that I bought for $45 in my trunk. Fifty rounds on stripper clips. Get's stolen? So what. I doubt it will be used for a drive by on a Taco Bell in south Dallas.

That might be the ticket for anyone concerned with, "arming a car thief." Take the bolt out and either take it with you or conceal it in the vehicle.

ETA: plus, sooner or later it's probably going to rust.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:05:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Handi Rifle

Handi Rifle

8. Low cost investment.

Which is exactly why I would choose a Mosin M44 or an SKS

If you have the space to always have one in the trunk and keep it hidden, then yeah, they would be better.

But a broken down Handi rifle/shotgun combo is very small and compact. Just something that it has going for it. Also, if you need to move, you can travel with it without bringing a lot of attention to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:15:21 PM EDT
I like the idea of a pistol cal carbine that takes the same mags as your everyday carry piece. Use your handgun to get to your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:24:57 PM EDT
Whatever it needs to be inexpensive (not that low price is a license to keep it poorly secured – any stolen firearm could be used to kill another person).

If I didn’t have a CCW, I’d prefer a short, fast loading, inexpensive pistol caliber carbine. Otherwise, I’d definitely want no less than a .223.

If I wanted a semi-auto, my first choice would be a SKS with stripper clips.

If I wanted a bolt gun, my first choice would be a Lee Enfield jungle carbine. It has a really smooth fast action, a fairly common caliber, and a 10 round detachable magazine. Unfortunately, they’re becoming collector’s items.

A bubbarized Lee Enfield rifle would be just as good. Right now (IIRC) SOG has $79 Ishipores (made in India), which could probably be converted to a decent trunk gun.

And a Moisen-Nagant carbine would also be OK despite it’s difficult to work action. However, ammo might be a little harder to find in an emergency.

A chopped down Schmidt-Rubin would actually be the best of all the bolt guns except that ammo is definitely hard to find.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:26:34 PM EDT
Now this is a truck gun! I just have a .357.

Top Top