Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 1:58:21 PM EDT
     I was looking around at my guns, and realized I don't yet have a 7.62 NATO gun. So, I started looking around at some and here's what I cam up with:

www.impactguns.com/store/RI1193-X.html

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=58

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=88

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=89

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=56  
(no bayo lug and flash hider)

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=91

www.impactguns.com/store/JLD-PTR91.html

www.impactguns.com/store/RI1191-X.html

BTW: I just blew al my money on an AR-15 and I still need a bunch of AK ammo so, I won't have enough ($500) until Nov. '06.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
oh.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Get a fal. I needed a .308 rifle and thought about it for a long time, and finally went with the FAL/L1A1 type.

I wnet though 140 rounds so fast and just sat there on the bench thinking - why didn't I get one sooner. I love the FAL.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get a fal. I needed a .308 rifle and thought about it for a long time, and finally went with the FAL/L1A1 type.

I wnet though 140 rounds so fast and just sat there on the bench thinking - why didn't I get one sooner. I love the FAL.

Ok cool, when will atlantic get more IMBELs in?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag as I am looking for a 308 as well.

What about the SEBR AR10 from armalite?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I wanted a new gun, I got it, then sold it without shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't we all....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
FN FAL.

G
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I want another gun too. I haven't bought a gun in like...2 weeks!!!

I want an AK. Actually I want 3 AK's. Well, I want two AK's, and I want to convert my Saiga to an AK.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a gun yesterday and kinda regret it, as it is a piece of shit. I am going to get another gun later this week that it less shitty. Looking at an AK...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
save up some more money and get a DSA STG58 !

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the G3/CETME any good?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My Cetme has worked fine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I get one INSTEAD of a FAL?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pricewise its abit cheaper, the HK mags that they use are really cheap right now.

I havent owned a FAL so Im not the best at suggesting one or the other
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
When I think "proven .308 battle rifle", I think FAL.

Then, as a runner-up, I think G3.

I then think M14...distant 3rd...but to be honest that is mostly because of the commercial builds which don't own up to the real M14 reliability/robustness legacy.

I'd own an M14 clone before I owned a G3 clone, if it helps any...and indeed, I do own a pile of FAL's, an M1A....but no G3 clones.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pricewise its abit cheaper, the HK mags that they use are really cheap right now.

Are the HKs hard to load with the charging handle way up there?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]
DSA STG FAL
DSA STG FAL
DSA STG FAL

In no particular order.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine isnt, takes abit of getting used to, but doesnt take much to use the handel,  Also the sound of it closing sounds cool
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine isnt, takes abit of getting used to, but doesnt take much to use the handel,  Also the sound of it closing sounds cool

Are the Century G3s bad like everyone says?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the Century G3s bad like everyone says?

I never messed with one myself.  Id probaly get a Cetme for cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Why would someone need more than one gun
I'm happy with my 38
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Not to highjack the thread, but I went to my local gunshop the other day and they said they couldnt order a STG58 for me because DSA is all out of parts kits for the time being. Any truth to this or ???
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I havent heard anything about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Why don't people like Century Arms?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why don't people like Century Arms?

Crappy quality control is the usual complaint.  Some work, some need work.  My Century/Hesse Fal runs just fine, but I still want a DSA STG58 para real bad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're going to go the FAL route (which I highly recommend   ), don't get one of those pieces of Century crap.

Go here
and look around, then post in the General Firearms Forum asking any questions you feel you need answered about your pending purchase (barrel length, model, origins, prices, availability, magazines, operation & maintenance, etc.).  They will guide you to a reputable dealer and a good, reliable product.

That is, if they don't convince you to buy a kit and build your own as it's much more satisfying.

Beware, if you think BRD is bad, wait til you become a Faloholic.

Good luck!

ETA:  they don't call them the "angry beavers" of Century for nothing.

Also, where in MT?  I'm originally from the GF-Bozone strip.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you're going to go the FAL route (which I highly recommend   ), don't get one of those pieces of Century crap.

Go here
and look around, then post in the General Firearms Forum asking any questions you feel you need answered about your pending purchase (barrel length, model, origins, prices, availability, magazines, operation & maintenance, etc.).  They will guide you to a reputable dealer and a good, reliable product.

That is, if they don't convince you to buy a kit and build your own as it's much more satisfying.

Beware, if you think BRD is bad, wait til you become a Faloholic.

Good luck!

ETA:  they don't call them the "angry beavers" of Century for nothing.

Also, where in MT?  I'm originally from the GF-Bozone strip.

Is one more reliable accurate and/or durable?

BTW: Not in MT right now, but I live in Billings.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is one more reliable accurate and/or durable?

BTW: Not in MT right now, but I live in Billings.

Reliability is a function of the builder, typically.  In general, FAL's are boringly reliable once dialed in (if that's even necessary).  It takes a good effort to screw up an FAL.

Accuracy is another matter.  The FAL is not a sniper rifle, it's a battle rifle.  Two MOA is pretty standard.  You can spend a whole lot of money on custom parts trying to squeeze that down, but if you want a .308 sniper rifle, buy a bolt gun or an HK.

There are no really "new" FAL's being produced, just recievers and parts.  Everything else is assembled from existing imported kits.  The kit models usually vary by source (Argentina, Canada, South Africa, etc.), and the quality of each batch can vary (usually indicated as "grades").

For example, about five years ago, FAC was selling what is arguably the best of the FAL models, the StG-58 (Belgian) kits with little exterior finish but good internals, for about $170.  Those same kits, if available, fetch around $300-$325 now.  Dan's Ammo had IMBEL (Argentina) kits a few years later for (IIRC) $150, $120, and $100, depending on how much external finish was left.  These were training rifles, so the outsides were well worn, but the bores and internals were pristine.  TAPCO had $99 IMBELs a while back...they were beat to crap, but hey, for less than a hundred bucks each, many people bought several.

DSA is mentioned several times.  They assemble all their rifles on excellent-grade StG-58 kits they imported years ago and hid.  They produce their own recievers from semi-official specs, and are generally regarded as the highest-quality manufacturer.  There are, of course, custom smiths who work on FALs and turn out as-good if not better work (AZEX Arms, Arizona Response Systems,  Sledgehammer Arms Works, just to name a few).

Anyway, I hope I answered your question.  Feel free to IM me with others, or just root around on the FAL Files

BTW:Both my sister and my wife's sister (each are married) live in Billings.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the AR platform because it is very familiar.  I went with a DPMS when I wanted a 308.  I normally don’t get firearms from the "discount manufacturers," but my DPMS 308 has been a GREAT rifle.  (other than that all my firearms are from Colt, Benelli, and Mossberg).  If accuracy is what you want I think a DPMS 308 is probably your best bet short of an SR-25.  I don’t own an FAL, but a quality one is probably a great rifle.  An HK91 is also a nice rifle, but for double the price of a DPMS 308 AR?  I think not.  People love to say that DPMS is lower quality than colt/bushmaster/rra etc, but my experience has not been consistent with that
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#31]
www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=58

There's a reason they're sold out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#32]
 So I think what your saying is that the HK is more of a sniper rifle than a battle rifle and the FAL has a better optics/tactical platform?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#33]
My CETME w/ exception of a slightly bent ejector lever has run perfect.  I am the second owner so I don't know why the lever was bent but two seconds in a vise and its perfect.  Right now parts are cheap and plentiful so are the mags ($0.99) @ TAPCO).  Do I want a DSA/FAL ....YES!! but my wallet only allows a CETME and its a great addition to my humble collection.  One thing to think about w/ a CETME is the NO COMMERCIAL AMMO can be shot in hte rifle if that bothers you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#34]
FAL ! I now have more FALs than ARs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
FAL ! I now have more FALs than ARs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top