Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 12:13:06 PM EDT
My friend is prego, and the "dad" is in jail. He is big into drugs, abusive (to her for sure) and a registered sex offender.. (she didnt know about it all till after the fact).. That enough grounds to keep him away from her yet to be born daughter, even though he is the dad?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup..

BTW that sounds like my sis...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll want to help her see a lawyer to initiate termination of parental rights proceedings.

His criminal record, her testimony about the assults and beatings, and the history of a conviction for a sexual offence will all be admissible.   Courts impose a VERY high standard before terminating a parents rights, but they will do this.

Your friend should be aware that if the court terminates the guy's parental rights, in most states that also removes any obligation on his part to child support.   Most lawyers who are trying to get a dangerous man/woman away from the kids use that to their advantage:   I.e., the guy gets served with a petition for support and payment of 1/2 of the prenatal and delivery expenses, followed by a visit from the lawyer saying:   "Here, sign this voluntary surrender of your parental rights and we'll drop the whole child support thing...."

Before you help her with this, be aware:  YOu're only hearing a part of the story and as much of a shit as the guy clearly is, termination of his rights to his own flesh and blood is a big deal and should not be approached lightly.   Also, if he's got money (a trust fund?) or some sort of good income, letting him of the hook for child support will not be the smartest thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yup..

BTW that sounds like my sis...

\
Well, this girl has a good head on her shoulders, but a mistake was made. But the truth about him is coming out, and she wants him to have nothing to do with her or the baby. Although he will be in jail along time. I was just wondering.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My friend is prego, and the "dad" is in jail. He is big into drugs, abusive (to her for sure) and a registered sex offender.. (she didnt know about it all till after the fact).. That enough grounds to keep him away from her yet to be born daughter, even though he is the dad?

Depends on the judge.  Some of these liberal fucks can shock anybody.  I'd hope it's enough.  I know of several cases though where drugs were involved and wouldn't be taken into consideration unless there was photographic evidence that they had been done in front of the child.  Arkansas has some lib judges, can ya tell?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I do know that if nothing else it will be supervised visitation, if it goes that far. But from what I have heard he probably wont even care he is a dad and probably has more out there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Ummmm......

What's she doing sleeping with such a scumbag to begin with?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ummmm......

Somebody needs a refresher from the Ladder Theory web page.

As much as I hate it, there are a LOT of accurate observations there about SOME women of the "succubus" persuasion, and one of them is that the nice guy who is good and decent doesn't get near as much tail as the "badboy" dangerous fuckoff type.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ummmm......

Re-read my original post..... She didnt know about all this till after the fact (prego and he was in jail) If she did, she wouldnt have.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummmm......

Re-read my original post..... She didnt know about all this till after the fact (prego and he was in jail) If she did, she wouldnt have.

Humph. If you say so. I just find character flaws like that hard to buy as "concealable".

That said, I didn't see the ex-Trillian holding the knife to stab me in the back with.....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Depends.  Here in PA there is that case that has been in the national news.  53 year old, fake Native American, druggie,  sex offendor father and 30some year old druggie, prostitute mother had a child that the county took.  They get visitation and are fighting for custody.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#11]
It is always a gamble. If she is cutting dad off from the kid, she needs to get into court ASAP on a Motion to Restrict Visitation. Her cutting him off is "self-help," which is disfavored in the law. She can get back on top by being the first to get in the court file seeking judicial help. Feel free to IM me if you need additional assistance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Ill get some more info from her and see exactly what  she is wanting to do...... Thanks everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top