Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2001 6:43:30 PM EDT
Below are a few photos on how I spent my Saturday.  

In the past few months, I've been to a few 'shoots' and I've always wanted some sort of portable gun rack.  For a recent shoot in PA, I didn't have time to build anything so I used a sawhorse and nailed small dividers to separate the guns.  It worked but it was pretty lame.  
I searched the web for places to buy gun racks and I found a few nices ones, but they cost more than what I wished to pay.  

The one I built can easily hold 16 long guns, 8 per side.  I'll probably stain it and make it look a little better.  I also have to put another piece of wood on the bottom to hold the guns in a little better.  I need to put some protection on the other side where the guns rest, and some more on the bottom where the stocks rest.  Also need to put something to limit the amount it spreads out.

I made a few mistakes, but it ended up working pretty damn well.  If I ever make another,  I'm sure it will be better. [:D]

First photo.  
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Ev/RG/dl/kE65927.jpg[/img]
Second photo, with 4 guns.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/031/Ef/i7/Se/ld18214.jpg[/img]
Third photo, collapsed.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Ev/RG/dl/kG44142.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Bravo!!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
nice three wheeler [:)]
View Quote

haha, rofl.  I just *knew* I'd get a comment about that.  I tried to cut some of it out of the photo.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey I like it. That is nice. Have you tested the stability on uneven grounds. Maybe a locking mechanism, like in brief cases, to hold it open and doesn't colapse and scratch up your rifles. Somewhere mid point down the frame there.

This would be a great LEGP accessory IMO.

You might have just started a small business for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice 7, although I might find a way to secure (lock) the guns in the rack if you visit any crowded ranges.  You know how things can go. They're there one minute, you turn to shoot, and they're gone the next![:D]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
lordtrader,  yes I plan on adding something tomorrow.   In the photos I've seen, they have some type of hinge which expands and collapses.   I'll probably use two screws and a piece of 550 cord.  One screw on each leg support and have the length of cord set so it won't open up any more.  My cheapo method.

Btw,  it is pretty damn sturdy.  I'm not sure how well it can work on an incline.   I'll try to keep it on level ground.

Thanks for the nice comments.  

7 the  (Still have sawdust in my eyes) [:)]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very nice 7, although I might find a way to secure (lock) the guns in the rack if you visit any crowded ranges.  You know how things can go. They're there one minute, you turn to shoot, and they're gone the next![:D]
View Quote

This is only for AR15 shoots, AK47 shoots, fal shoots etc.  If I go to the 'public' ranges,  I'll use their racks, or my bags.  I don't want to get too fancy with locks.  

I'm just wondering,  do I now have to take 16 rifles with me at the next shoot. [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
7 nice rack[;)]  Been wanting to put one of these together myself.  Don't plan on bringing that many guns to the range at one time, but more so for times I need to get a rifle from waaay back of the safe, I need a place to stack the other rifles.  I've seen similar racks in the GunList, but they want ~$70 or so.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
xsquid,  thanks for the compliments.

I'll let others near me use the rack.  It should be able to handle all guns except 50's.

Btw,  below is where I got the idea from.  I didn't feel like spending 100 dollars then shipping etc.  Btw, mine cost me about 40 dollars in lumber and parts.

[url]www.gunstands.com/rifle.htm[/url]

I semi-copied the first rack.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you use my idea of the hole saw and then cutting the boards in half?  Looks like whatever you did worked out well. Nice job.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup.  Had to do it that way, otherwise the cutouts would look crappy if I used a scroll saw.  This way they are almost perfect.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top