BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The only advantage a Maglight would have over a Surefire is in terms of bweing used as an impact weapon.  A Maglight can split someone's grape open quicker than a Surefire.

That is why I got one of these:
With sharp pointy teeth!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The only advantage a Maglight would have over a Surefire is in terms of bweing used as an impact weapon.  A Maglight can split someone's grape open quicker than a Surefire.

An E2D, properly deployed, would surely give it a run for the title.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry my E2E because it is smaller than a Mini-Maglite but brighter than the biggest D-Cell Maglite.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- If your talking about just cutting someone, yeah.  But when it comes to poor blunt impact damage, the Maglight and the Kellight reign supreme.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I mean what can a surefire do that Maglites wont?

they scrape and extra 2 bills out of your pocket. I have yet to see the big deal with them either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I mean what can a surefire do that Maglites wont?

Surefires put out far more light from a much smaller & lighter package.

Surefires also have a perfect spot of light, unlike Maglights which have shadowsn in their light patterns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- If your talking about just cutting someone, yeah.  But when it comes to poor blunt impact damage, the Maglight and the Kellight reign supreme.

Bah, an ASP reigns supreme.  Why settle?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#8]
No, no, no...Brinkmann Maxfire LX. $19.95 at Wally World including the batteries. A little brighter than the 2 cell Surefire's (even candlepower forums thinks so). "Tactical" end cap switch. A touch bigger. Probably a bit less rugged. Who cares for $19.95! I bought 4 and sprinkled them liberally throughout house and vehicles (in addition to my 4 Surefires

Hey, let's face it, Surefire was unique for a short while. A great idea: 2x3v Lithiums + high output lamp = lot's of light for a short time. And what do you know: people were willing to trade running time for lots of light. Stipple the reflector to even out the beam. Put it in a super-duty, beautifully machined Aluminum housing.

BUT, the lamps are cheap, the reflectors are cheap and nobody says it has to be in an uber-cool machined housing or have a brand name laser etched on it. Enter no-name brand and a cheap (actually it's quite nice) plastic housing and voila, the Brinkmann! Quite a while ago some arfcom guys did a test and put several thousand rounds downrange with it mounted up as a weapon light. It even worked fine at that.

aa
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to have mag lights unitl a sure fire came out that I could afford. I really lke my G2. It works and works well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For your line of work the Inova X5 would work well.

www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=1471

The Inova X5 is a great light for the $. I carry one all day long then switch to a Surefire E2e after dusk. YES; you need to carry a light during the day! Actaully you need two on you at all times and one can be a photon...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
but what about cost comparison? I mean in my line of work I have left MANY flashlights under appliances and just plain lost them... what about that?

Sounds like you need a charge for "Consumables" on your invoices.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bah, an ASP reigns supreme.  Why settle?

what sound is made when an ASP hits someone in the head?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:How is it a direct match?  The Lux output is less than half.  Did you see the test I posted? I know they use Luxeon LEDs, I said that in the post.
Nuwai has a Type 2 instead of harder type 3 anodize, plastic instead of pyrex lens and crappy regulation that put you at 50% output quicker.  It is also not as waterproof as a Surefire.

There is no grey area here.  If you want the extra features you pay the extra cash.

Xenon will be around for a long time yet. LEDs are great and I carry 2 of them in my rotation of lights.  no matter the Lux output they don;t throw nearly as well and tend to get drowned out by ambient light.  

Yes, I read both tests. The problem is that I am comparing the 3 watt Nuwai to a 60 lumen G2, and you are comparing the 3 watt Nuwai to the 5 watt L4. Big difference. If you want to compare 5 watt flashlights, that's cool but you're talkng apples and oranges.

Anodizing doesn't meant a whole lot. It's only as scratch resistant as the metal underneat when it's only a few thousandths thick, and yes, I am in a machine trade, and yes, I have dealt with anodizing companies. Bottom line is that if you ding aluminum it doens't matter what you coat it with. I've seen a lot of scratched up and loved Surefires in people's back pockets, so it's not like their covered in kryptonite.

As posted in my original thread, I agree that you pay for features. That doesn't mean other alternatives are junk. For crying out loud, it's a flashlight (!), not a 'torch', not an 'illumination tool'. I guess the marketing works?!?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got a Surefire E1L for Christmas, It's their top of the line pocket light.
I'll be exchanging it for another brand. The surefire is too big, doesn't stand on end, doesnt have variable power and has a pocket clip that sticks the bezel out of the pocket over an inch.

Surefire was not the best for me. Instead I'll get an HDS which is better than surefire in every way and the lowest power HDS is the same price as the surefire pocket light.

Top of the line would be the KL4 head (from the L4 lumamax) mounted on a 1 cell body like the one found on your E1L.  This combo commonly known as a TW4 will blow and HDS out of the water. Put on a two stage tailcap and you have variable light.  For cheaper than the cheapest HDS and brighter than the most expensive.

I meant that the E1L was the top of the line factory offering in that class.
I wouldn't agree the custom TW4 would blow the HDS out of the water.
A 2 stage tail cap would give only 2 clicks with a penalty from the resistor. The HDS has 4 clicks built in...and they are programable if desired.
The KL4 LED head cost $125, so it alone costs more than the cheapest HDS at $100.
The KL4 LED head at 65 lumens is not brighter than the best HDS which comes in at 85 lumens, if you can find one. The Kl4 is only 5 lumes brighter than the HDS 60.

"ultra performance" pocket lights like the HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR GT have features surefire can only dream of.

HDS review below
www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

www.lighthound.com/sales/hds_edc_ultimate_flashlights.htm

Because of the return police where my E1L was bought, I'll probably trade my E1L for a G2 to use as a nightstand light and a KL1 head which I'll put on a Vital Gear FB1 so I can get bezel down pocket carry and ability to stand on end.
www.lighthound.com/sales/vital-gear_fb1_body.htm

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, someone here might know.. Some years back, I saw a baton addon for a minimag.  It was either a third battery or just a solid chunk of metal screwed on in place of the tailcap.  Anyone know what I mean?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I got the m3 cb combat light for myself for christmas, 125 lumes and 225 lumes.

Nothing to add to the post, just that I got a m3 cb combat light for christmas!

I bought my dad the a2 aviator.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got a Surefire E1L for Christmas, It's their top of the line pocket light.
I'll be exchanging it for another brand. The surefire is too big, doesn't stand on end, doesnt have variable power and has a pocket clip that sticks the bezel out of the pocket over an inch.

Surefire was not the best for me. Instead I'll get an HDS which is better than surefire in every way and the lowest power HDS is the same price as the surefire pocket light.

Top of the line would be the KL4 head (from the L4 lumamax) mounted on a 1 cell body like the one found on your E1L.  This combo commonly known as a TW4 will blow and HDS out of the water. Put on a two stage tailcap and you have variable light.  For cheaper than the cheapest HDS and brighter than the most expensive.

I meant that the E1L was the top of the line factory offering in that class.
I wouldn't agree the custom TW4 would blow the HDS out of the water.
A 2 stage tail cap would give only 2 clicks with a penalty from the resistor. The HDS has 4 clicks built in...and they are programable if desired.
The KL4 LED head cost $125, so it alone costs more than the cheapest HDS at $100.
The KL4 LED head at 65 lumens is not brighter than the best HDS which comes in at 85 lumens, if you can find one. The Kl4 is only 5 lumes brighter than the HDS 60.

"ultra performance" pocket lights like the HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR GT have features surefire can only dream of.

HDS review below
www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

www.lighthound.com/sales/hds_edc_ultimate_flashlights.htm

Because of the return police where my E1L was bought, I'll probably trade my E1L for a G2 to use as a nightstand light and a KL1 head which I'll put on a Vital Gear FB1 so I can get bezel down pocket carry and ability to stand on end.
www.lighthound.com/sales/vital-gear_fb1_body.htm

Look at the lux numbers obtained from the HDS 60.  4430...compared to the L4 at 5800. Don't believe the advirtised numbers.  Look at the tests.  Surefire underrates their lights. Its 25% brighter than the hds60.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#18]
If ya relly want to know the difference shine a MAG lite with new batteries in your eyes for 10 secs (keep your eyes OPEN)  Then try to do that with a SureFire.  I guarentee you'll SEE the difference.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For your line of work the Inova X5 would work well.

www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=1471

The Inova X5 is a great light for the $. I carry one all day long then switch to a Surefire E2e after dusk. YES; you need to carry a light during the day! Actaully you need two on you at all times and one can be a photon...

I have 2 X5's and 2 X1's. One of the X1's I've had and been using for over a year, and it's still on the battery that came with it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top