Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 9:07:13 PM EDT
Which one's to stay away from, which one's you'd recommend, etc.

Really appreciate anyone and everyone's feedback!

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy just got a M2 for $100 . Of course the slide stop is busted off and he is haveing trouble finding a replacement .
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Surplus rifles or new rifles and pistols?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Mitchel's Mausers are overpriced wallhangers.  They may be shootable, but unless you want a genuine nazi gun, you can do without him.

Pick up a Yugo M48 for an easily parts-swappable gun, or if it doesn't matter to you, pick up a Czech 24/47.  Its an intermediate ring-size, but it does me just fine and only cost me $130 2 years ago.

I refinished it recently:
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have played with Turkish one's. They are a mixed bag. Some I got were pretty good, blueing and bolt's, other's not so good.  All shot OK, some shot on target, other's I had to put on 200m to hit 100m. Once I figured out where the zero was on each gun I could hit what I aimed at. I put a sporter stock made from a mil surp on one. That got me hooked and I built 2 target guns in .308. One from a Turk and one Israeli. My "odd couple" Muslim and a Jew.  Both turned out OK. With the right ammo and a good day at the range I can get some 1 moa 3 shot groups. Most I shoot with has been surplus. So 2" to 3" groups are more common.

The Turks are generally small ring though, even though advertised as large ring. I had a large ring retheaded for my Turkish. The Isreali 98 was large ring FN made if I remember right.

Friends have bought the Yugo mauser's and been happy. I have fun wether shooting the scoped versions I built or just blasting the Plain jane Turks. They shoot well, and ammo is cheap. Plus you won't shoot more than about a bandoleer at a time(70 RDS) before you get a little sore. It is easy to hit targets as big as a car door at 500 to 700m.

So get one and have some fun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 35 dollar turk that is minty and shoots 2" at 100yds with decent ammo.  I also have a VZ24, 98K that is a mint WWII bring back and a unissued M1948 yugo.  They are cheap to shoot and fun to collect.  You can find a nice yugo for about a 100 bucks if you try. There is a Shotgun News Mauser special out this month, it is pretty worthless but has some information.

There is a decent Mauser forum on gunboards.com
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
98's are great.  I avoid 95's and G88's.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mitchel's Mausers are overpriced wallhangers.  They may be shootable, but unless you want a genuine nazi gun, you can do without him.

Pick up a Yugo M48 for an easily parts-swappable gun, or if it doesn't matter to you, pick up a Czech 24/47.  Its an intermediate ring-size, but it does me just fine and only cost me $130 2 years ago.

I refinished it recently:
comp.uark.edu/~dmgill/Mauser3.jpg

Your info is a bit confusing to say the least. A Mitchel Mauser is nothing but a over priced Yugo M48. It is post war and in no way a Nazi gun.

The Yugo M48 is an intermediate length action, but it is a large ring design. Being a intermediate length the parts do not swap easily with other Mausers, they are kindof an odd ball. I have never heard of a intermediate ring action, just intermediate length.

A standard K98 action is large ring and stadard length. Examples of this are the German K98's and the VZ24. Those are both available now and at a decent price. And I would get one of those if I were you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top