Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/26/2005 9:07:13 PM EDT
Which one's to stay away from, which one's you'd recommend, etc.

Really appreciate anyone and everyone's feedback!

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:00:23 PM EDT
Buddy just got a M2 for $100 . Of course the slide stop is busted off and he is haveing trouble finding a replacement .
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:01:36 PM EDT
Surplus rifles or new rifles and pistols?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 11:29:27 PM EDT by MoparMike]
Mitchel's Mausers are overpriced wallhangers. They may be shootable, but unless you want a genuine nazi gun, you can do without him.

Pick up a Yugo M48 for an easily parts-swappable gun, or if it doesn't matter to you, pick up a Czech 24/47. Its an intermediate ring-size, but it does me just fine and only cost me $130 2 years ago.

I refinished it recently:
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:30:04 AM EDT
I have played with Turkish one's. They are a mixed bag. Some I got were pretty good, blueing and bolt's, other's not so good. All shot OK, some shot on target, other's I had to put on 200m to hit 100m. Once I figured out where the zero was on each gun I could hit what I aimed at. I put a sporter stock made from a mil surp on one. That got me hooked and I built 2 target guns in .308. One from a Turk and one Israeli. My "odd couple" Muslim and a Jew. Both turned out OK. With the right ammo and a good day at the range I can get some 1 moa 3 shot groups. Most I shoot with has been surplus. So 2" to 3" groups are more common.

The Turks are generally small ring though, even though advertised as large ring. I had a large ring retheaded for my Turkish. The Isreali 98 was large ring FN made if I remember right.

Friends have bought the Yugo mauser's and been happy. I have fun wether shooting the scoped versions I built or just blasting the Plain jane Turks. They shoot well, and ammo is cheap. Plus you won't shoot more than about a bandoleer at a time(70 RDS) before you get a little sore. It is easy to hit targets as big as a car door at 500 to 700m.

So get one and have some fun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:42:51 AM EDT
I have a 35 dollar turk that is minty and shoots 2" at 100yds with decent ammo. I also have a VZ24, 98K that is a mint WWII bring back and a unissued M1948 yugo. They are cheap to shoot and fun to collect. You can find a nice yugo for about a 100 bucks if you try. There is a Shotgun News Mauser special out this month, it is pretty worthless but has some information.

There is a decent Mauser forum on gunboards.com
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:46:12 AM EDT
98's are great. I avoid 95's and G88's.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:11:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MoparMike:
Mitchel's Mausers are overpriced wallhangers. They may be shootable, but unless you want a genuine nazi gun, you can do without him.

Pick up a Yugo M48 for an easily parts-swappable gun, or if it doesn't matter to you, pick up a Czech 24/47. Its an intermediate ring-size, but it does me just fine and only cost me $130 2 years ago.

I refinished it recently:
comp.uark.edu/~dmgill/Mauser3.jpg

Your info is a bit confusing to say the least. A Mitchel Mauser is nothing but a over priced Yugo M48. It is post war and in no way a Nazi gun.

The Yugo M48 is an intermediate length action, but it is a large ring design. Being a intermediate length the parts do not swap easily with other Mausers, they are kindof an odd ball. I have never heard of a intermediate ring action, just intermediate length.

A standard K98 action is large ring and stadard length. Examples of this are the German K98's and the VZ24. Those are both available now and at a decent price. And I would get one of those if I were you.
Top Top