Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:58:08 PM EDT
Ok so a recent thread in here talked about someone getting a tat of a flag clad grim reaper holding an m4. This was an alteration of the original. I really liked it and have now thought about getting one myself. If anyone has the link to that thread can you post it? I don't neccessarily want the same one (I'd rather not) but I would like to photoshop it a bit. I did a google search and didn't find anything other than the original.

Second. This would be my first tattoo. What should I expect. I am thinking right or left arm for location so it is covered by a t-shirt (work issues). What can I expect to pay? Will it fade and look stupid after many years. (I'm almost 23-thinking birthday present) I don't want any words and love my firearms so I don't think I'll regret it later.

Never been a tat fan but this one really stood out.

Thanks,

Adam
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you might want to think about this for a while longer...  IMHO
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think tats are a waste of money but if you want to get one get whatever "YOU" want and not what others think is cool.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Find what you want to get,  Put a copy in your bathroon mirror.  If you still like it at least 6 months to a year later, then get it.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
just think about it for a couple more days and you'll realize that you really don't want it. 6 years in the service and I never git that Eagle, Globe and Anchor. And still I don't want a tat. Too perminate
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Find the design you want, print it and wait3 months.
If you still want it wait 3 more.
If you still want it, do it.

My advice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Find what you want to get,  Put a copy in your bathroon mirror.  If you still like it at least 6 months to a year later, then get it.  

You know, this is a great idea. Wife will get a feel for it too. Now to find that picture!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Take the $$$ and buy a firearm instead ( I should have )
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=418631

THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Give it some serious thought for sure.

Speaking of tattoos, anyone watch Inked?  I can't get over how much people will spend for that shit!  Some guy on one of the shows I watched wanted his daughter's name on his calf.  He was an old freind of the tattoo artist and it still cost $218.00 for a fucking name!  I couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Give it some serious thought for sure.

Speaking of tattoos, anyone watch Inked?  I can't get over how much people will spend for that shit!  Some guy on one of the shows I watched wanted his daughter's name on his calf.  He was an old freind of the tattoo artist and it still cost $218.00 for a fucking name!  I couldn't believe it.

$218 must have been the BRO fee.  B end  R ight  O ver.

AB
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Find the design you want, print it and wait3 months.
If you still want it wait 3 more.
If you still want it, do it.

My advice.

The best possible advise you'll find anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a butterfly on the small of your back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a potato tattoo on the head of your dick.

When the old lady asks, tell her it's your little dictator.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok so a recent thread in here talked about someone getting a tat of a flag clad grim reaper holding an m4. This was an alteration of the original. I really liked it and have now thought about getting one myself. If anyone has the link to that thread can you post it? I don't neccessarily want the same one (I'd rather not) but I would like to photoshop it a bit. I did a google search and didn't find anything other than the original.

Second. This would be my first tattoo. What should I expect. I am thinking right or left arm for location so it is covered by a t-shirt (work issues). What can I expect to pay? Will it fade and look stupid after many years. (I'm almost 23-thinking birthday present) I don't want any words and love my firearms so I don't think I'll regret it later.

Never been a tat fan but this one really stood out.

Thanks,

Adam

First question: No idea where to find that pic, look around the net for flash or a pic you like. The tattoo artist should be able to draw something you will like.

2nd question:Cost- each tattoo place is different but general guidelines are 50-100 an hour for custom work.  Usually you do not pay for draw time, just actual tattooing time.  Some will give you a concrete price for the size you want and not charge by the hour.  Other then that, each shop is different and you can haggle price with the tattoo artist.  Most will lower their price somewhat, unless they are booked solid for work.

3rd- Fade on tattoos- all tattoos fade over time, I always found color fades more then black work. It doesn't "fade and look stupid" at all, the colors will just be less vibrant.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I would go with some barbed wire or a tribal design around the bicept!  It would be UNIQUE for sure!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Definately helps the coroner identify the body.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Definately helps the coroner identify the body.

Helps the police too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#19]
If you do decide to eventually go through with it, then some things you should know-

Shop around for the artist you want. Most shops have multiple artists, and if you show the guy answering the door and phone what you want, they should be able to tell you which guy/gal does that style.

Remember, these are artists, and they all have different styles. Ask to see their portfolios. You should be able to tell quickly if what they specialize in is what you're looking for. Look especially close at their coloring in the "after" photos. Once the tat heals up, you'll be able to tell any spots in the shading that are lighter or darker than the rest. Nothing like ruining a solid color area with crappy shading.  You can have that fixed, but it's never quite perfect unless it's done right the first time.

Don't be intimidated by the old stereotypes of tattoo artists. Most of em are just regular folks who like ink. Yes, the 400 lb'er in the corner with 15 nose rings looks like a scary mofo, but he's usually a decent guy.

Expect at least 75 bucks an hour (usually 125 for real good work). I remember the pic you're thinking of, and that looks like about 3-4 hours of work easily if you're thinking about 3"x5" for a bicep. You can have it done in multiple sessions to break up the cost if that's an issue.

The advice above about hanging the pic somewhere you see it every day is fantastic. Tattoos are not for everybody. However, I have 2, and love them both. I thought a lot about both of them, and they will always mean something important to me.

Tattoos are addictive. Ask Dusty_C.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/geneevans/tattoo3.jpg

A friend of mine got one of those chinese tats and that is exactly what I think happened
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#22]
will you have the same taste when you are 40?
you wont think it is so cool a few years from now.

go buy a gun instead, at least if you get tired of it you can sell it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't bother. Save the money and buy a gun.

You won't have buyers remorse with the gun, ever.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#24]
You don't have a high enough post count to get a tattoo... You have to wait until you're up the the 4,000's or so.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Tattoos are addictive. Ask Dusty_C.

Yes they are.

Just please refrain from telling us about it, when you decide you want a scrotal Jacob's Ladder.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You don't have a high enough post count to get a tattoo... You have to wait until you're up the the 4,000's or so.

I laughed at this one. That was a good chuckle!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the advice. I have hung the picture up to see every day for a few months. I have also hung a picture of a sig p220 under it. We'll see which one wins out in a few months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top