Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:19:55 PM EDT
I'm a fequent urban traveler.  I need solid luggage that can handle the abuse I give them.  Not dragging them through the woods, but along busy city streets someties.  Really, I just want the best all around luggage line I can find for when I travel.  TUMI is a consideration, however I'm trying to find equal quality for less.  Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Samsonite.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
SPecific pictures or links to them so I can see what we're talking about here would be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Samsonite.

+1

Or American Tourister.

That cheap stuff is just that, cheap, and you will replace it over and over. I bought my carry-on AT >20 years ago, and its BTDT. Still going strong..........

Last year when I was headed to Africa, I needed another big bag. My old big AT didnt really need replaced, but I bought another one just the same.

Cant say enough about you get what you pay for in luggage.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
For a Rolling carry-on bag, check out Swiss Army ... nice features and is holding up very well.
For soft ... try Red Oxx; pricy but you will get MORE than you pay for.      Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#6]
TravelPro seems to be what most of the flight crews are dragging around.  I just bought a Briggs & Riley rolling carry-on based on some online reviews; they have the best warranty--they'll fix it no matter what or who breaks it.  I have not traveled with it (UPS delivered it today), but it seems to be very well put together.  Retail on the 21" carry-on is about $300 IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got the Boarding Pass model from Mountainsmith. Very rugged.

www.mountainsmith.com/store/?page=shop/browse&category_id=897f3ab1d2acb29331b620cc5861ab57
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]
You won't find Tumi quality for less. My carry-on is Tumi and my wheeled garment bag is Hartman. This stuff has been around the world and handled by baggage apes on 5 continents. The Tumi needs a new strap because the metal is worn thin on the quick-release clips.

I have some cheaper luggage that I use for short domestic trips. I've worn the wheels out on so much Samsonite/Tourister stuff it's not even funny. Some of the Eagle Creek stuff isn't bad, but the quality seems variable. I've never had a seam failure on any of my Eagle Creek bags. I don't like the zippers they use; the teeth are too small and fragile.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Poke around on ebags.com.  They have reviews by customers that are usually dead on.

I have bought many items from them (I do 100,000+ air miles a year) and they stand behind their sales.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I vote for Briggs and Riley.

Best travel gear I've ever used and I travel around 3 weeks out of every 4.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top