Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 6:28:54 PM EDT
I'm looking at purchasing an ultrasonic dog silencer for my neighbors dog.  The dog is about 40 ft from my house and barks late at night and early in the morning.  There are several similar silencers out there that have a microphone that senses a bark, then sends out ultrasonic noise that apparently trains them to shut the hell up.  

I purchased one called the "Ultimate Dog Silencer" with a remote too, but is an utter piece of Chinese crap (microphone is not sensitive enough to set off the device), and is getting returned pronto.

Money is not an object (it's still chepaer than buying a new house), just need one that works, any ideas would be helpful.

And just to save time, kindly spare the poisoning/shooting/asking nicely suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Having just gone through this garbage with my neighbor, I'd suggest your town's Animal Control Officer to be the best "Silencer" option ... You can call to see what the local noise ordinances are on nuisance barking during late night/early mornig hours. We got out town's DO to drop by their place, explain the complaint, and issue a warning outlining their obligations and penalties that may occur if they don't control the noise (Fines and Court).

No reason you should have to spend you money on cheap gimmicks that don't work, it's the neighbors responsibility to keep their dog quiet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Airsoft
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Airsoft

The only problem is the dog owner may shoot back with something better than airsoft
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Airsoft

Full Auto Airsoft! Works for me!

Holding the Grankids gun stash so his anti mother wont find it has its advantages!

I use my single shot one gets about 300FPS

Aim for the open mouth
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have built them before. Check the net, lots of plans out there. I have found that it depends on the dog.

If the dog is a little 'yapper' type dog that is in reality scared of it's shadow, then yeah, they work pretty good. It basically scares the dog to think "oh shit...what was that...better go hide".

If you've got a 120lb rotty raising hell though, it'll probably just piss him off and make things worse.

Good luck

Ed
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Viatek Super Dog Bark Stop off of EBay. It has worked well with our neighbors dogs. However, I loaned it out to a friend and she claims it had no effect. But I have no idea if she used it correctly. There are range limitations and a learning curve on the dogs part. The batteries seem to last a long time.

I forget what I paid but it was around $70.00 or so.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Airsoft

Full Auto Airsoft! Works for me!

Holding the Grankids gun stash so his anti mother wont find it has its advantages!

I use my single shot one gets about 300FPS

Aim for the open mouth

I wasnt going to admit to actually owning one!

All the ones around here are the property of Grandbaby Justin!

I owned one after my friend getting one and shooting me, damn that thing stings, so I went and bought a better one
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the shock collar for my pit, started on the highest setting and she never so much as yelped if it was on.  She would bark until I brought it out, and if I put it on she would whine at me to take it off, pretty funny.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Funny story.  My wife bought one because of the dog next door.  I don't know what frequency it operated on, but the kids and I could hear it, but the wife couldn't.  She thought we were kidding when we told her it was annoying as hell to use....don't know if it ever worked for the dog.  She waited till the kids went to bed and started to play with it and both our boys started yelling, "Cut it out MOM!!!".  She says men really are dogs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I always thought yelling "Shut your fucking dogs up before I do." was quite effective.  Worked on numerous occasions.  

Pony up and tell the guy to shut his dogs up, there is no reason you should be playing covert ops because some jerk does not take responsibility for his own animals.

Tossing a bag of chocolate chips in the yard is also worthy of consideration.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a PetSafe brand one from Pet Smart for $30 last week since I have dogs on three sides that bark almost 24/7.  I was looking for the Bark Breaker after reading about it here.  It's a complete joke.  It worked for about 10 minutes.  It startled the dogs (three smaller mutts, a poodle, and a seven cocker spaniels between the three neighbors) the first few minutes I pointed it at them.  After that, it annoyed them so they barked even louder and more furiously.  The neighbor's cocker spaniels are really aggressive already (and have attacked several people and livestock including killing two horses), and this box really made them more aggressive.  I pointed it in a different direction when I saw the cocker spaniels circle the owner's twelve year-old daughter and growling at her.  I was afraid they'd attack her.

I gave it to my great-niece on Saturday.  Last night she told me it worked very well on their neighbor's great dane.  Most nights it digs under their fence so he can lay down under their window and bark.  Apparently it works better on smarter dogs.  It didn't work at all with the stupid dogs near my house.  It just annoyed them and made them worse.z
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not a silencer, it's a supressor
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
By the way, it's a schnauzer, and it's not too smart.  

Check out this bad boy - that there's what they call a "pain-field burst generator"

http://www.amazing1.com/pest_control.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top