Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:09:46 PM EDT
Hello.

A while ago I posted about wanting a Police Car.  The general opinion was that i would be paying for a car that had been "road hard & put away wet".  Everyone said I would be buying something that had been beat relentlessly.

Well, ok.

What is the general opinion of a Ford Crown Victoria?  I was thinking of buying a USED one, around 2003.

I need a larger car to carry things, and a SUV is out.  I looked online and the reviews and reliability of the 2003 Crown Vic are pretty good.

What do you all have to say about it?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No Issues other then that transmission, both mine were expolice cars though.  Mine I liked in general, were a 92 ans 97 though
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
go to ebay motors and search "police"   good selection
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Decent, but just barely.

I had a company one.  The 4.6L is a pansy engine.   Not much oomph

the traction control was useless because the cpu was too damned slow.  made it impossible to drive in light snow

had some quality issues like the transmissiion at 46k and 100k

trunk is big enough to store several bodies

gas mileage was decent

steering was floaty boat standard
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd avoid them.

I've heard horror stories of people who bought them.. the tranny is the biggest red flag on the list.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I need a larger car to carry things, and a SUV is out.  

Get a Volvo V70.  Three year old examples coming off lease are just less than $20K with about 30 to 40K miles (barely broken in).

Way better car than some antiquated, body on frame, land barge piece of shit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
My grandmother just traded a '98 in for a Mercury Sable.

Big, roomy, drinks a lot of gas, has a big trunk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top