Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 4:36:57 PM EDT
I've been taking Atenol for about 9 months now.  I think the main reason my bp went up is the stress from my job, along with working too much to excercise & eat well.  I've fixed the job stress, eat a balanced 1800 calorie day, and work out 1 hour per day cardio & every other day weights also.  I feel better than I have in 5 years now.  I asked my Dr. this question and he wasn't much help, so thought I'd throw it out there for ya'll; can you get off bp meds?  I'm thinking about stopping taking the pill in the morning & see if I can control my bp thru natural ways.  Before I started taking it, my pressure was around 165/120.  With the meds, 120/80.  Comments
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is possible to eventually come off meds., but DO NOT stop taking meds on your own. If your present DR. was not interested in trying to get you off meds., find another DR.. Don't experiment without a DR., HBP can quickly lead to a stroke/heart attack.  I'm on HBP meds, but mine is hereditary(SP). I tried losing weight, eating good, etc., but my pressure remained very high. So I'm on life long meds..
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think that is a wise move to stop bp meds like that.  I lost weight after being on Atenolol, but until my bp dropped to 90/60, my doctor did not entertain changing my medication.  120/80 is only normal range, losing weight and exercising may have contributed to lowering your bp, but the medications must be helping or it would probably be lower than that.  I think it is a combination of all those factors that have lowered your bp to that level, and are contributing to how you are feeling.  Your bp may shoot up if you stop the medication, and you could have a stroke.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Start by getting your BP checked frequently.  If you notice your BP is below the 120/80 mark, ask yoru Doctor to see if you can try a lesser dose.  I have done this.  When i dropped about 25lbs, I was able to drop my medication dosage by half.  Now If I could only lose some more weight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
ok guys, I'll take your advise and seek out another Dr. to check with.  I've got another 10 pounds to loose as well, but it seems the meds also make that kinda difficult.  
It all just pisses me off, I'm only in my late 20's to begin with....shouldn't be having this problem yet....right?!!?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be a good idea to get a blood pressure monitor that you can use at home, and keep a log book of your readings.  Take readings regularly.  Listen to your doctor's recomendations, not Arfcom's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
These pills should be slowing the heart rate and the strength of the beat.  Losing weight, cardio and balanced diet should allow you to come off of the pills over time.  You could probably increase the calorie intake aswell.   Try it and see, if it stay elevated, continue pill use and your diet & workout program. Try again in 2 months.  Goodluck

Edit:  By "try and see"   delay the pill time by a few hours and see how you feel and what your pressure is
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
DO NOT stop taking beta blockers (Atenolol) without your doctor's blessing. The risks after stopping meds(statistically) are very high for you to have bp related problems like a stroke.

120/80 is not low. 90/60 is low. If you can hit 90/60 and a pulse rate of 40-50 bpm resting you should urge your doctor to reevaluate your meds.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What is your age?

If you are young you might be able to shuck the pills,  but I doubt it - especially if you are older.

I'm 49 years old and have had an increasing BP over the last twenty years.  I am in great shape and have been doing cardio (daily three mile jogs) and lifting weights regularly since I've turned 35.  

My BP is still on the borderline of being to high and I take a concoction of two pills - an ace blocker and a beta blocker.  It doesn't seem to matter how well I control my caloric intake or exercise I just seem to have high BP.

For me most of it is hereditary, nothing more I can do about it other than realize that I need to exercise regularly and take my pills as required.

The pills are a required morning regime but they do keep my BP at an acceptable level.

Best of luck to you....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ok guys, I'll take your advise and seek out another Dr. to check with.  I've got another 10 pounds to loose as well, but it seems the meds also make that kinda difficult.  
It all just pisses me off, I'm only in my late 20's to begin with....shouldn't be having this problem yet....right?!!?

Not really, I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure when I was 14, now 37, I've been faithfully taking meds for 23 years.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you can hit 90/60 and a pulse rate of 40-50 bpm resting you should urge your doctor to reevaluate your meds.

Wow, my resting is 72 currently!  Ok, looks like I have a ways to go  Thanks for the advise ya'll, makes sense about the stroke thing....never think it could happen to you  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top