Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 9:43:29 AM EDT
My wifes 1995 NEON has headlights that are barely visible!!

I seldom drive the car but we went to the In-laws yesterday and I can barely see the road on the way home.

It looks like the front headlight cover is all fogged!.........the cover is NOT CLEAR! Little light is getting out.

Are these 1 pice headlights or can I just get new covers?

Or should I get "performance" light replacements?

THANKS!............
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I vote new car
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the plastic lens discolored  and looks opaque? If so you might be able to get some PLASTIC polish from an Auto Paint supply store and using a rag with a touch of water to polish [by hand] the lens back to close to original clearness. The yellow opaqueness was caused by too little UV stabilizing chemicals used and the sun did the rest. Try that first, if it fails to work I'd suggest looking at the junkyard for a good set as new one's are pretty pricy. Just get good ones, no sense getting one's just as crappy as yours are.

If it caused by condensation inside the light you can pull the bulbs, [wrap then in CLEAN cloth do not touch them as they will fail from oils on hand] and use a hair dryer set on low to dry out the inside, If possible see about getting new O rings to seal them at the bulb area.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Alot of people with F150s do this. I havent had to do mine yet.

Here is a how to from a mustang site.

3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114484&highlight=headlight+haze
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My wifes 1995 NEON has headlights that are barely visible!!

I seldom drive the car but we went to the In-laws yesterday and I can barely see the road on the way home.

It looks like the front headlight cover is all fogged!.........the cover is NOT CLEAR! Little light is getting out.

Are these 1 pice headlights or can I just get new covers?

Or should I get "performance" light replacements?

THANKS!............

Im dreadfully sorry...but Im afraid your NEON is toataled.
try buffing the headlight covers with some good polish, sometimes they get discolored.
If they are "fogged up" with moisture, however; then they are leaking.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a cut and past from another Dodge forum I go on....

WETSANDING:

Supplies:
Wet/dry sand paper 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, & 2000. If you can't find them all that’s okay. You can find them at any auto parts store. Get 1 or 2 sheets of each.
3M Rubbing Compound, it can be found at Kragen or any auto parts store in the auto paint section, by the sand paper. If not ask.

Instructions:
Start with the lowest grade sand paper (400, 600, 800....2000). Wet the sand paper before each use in a bucket of warm soapy water. Then start sanding headlight for about 3 to 4 mins. with each grid of sandpaper. Make sure the sand paper stays wet. Keep doing it until smooth...be patient. After done dry and your lights will be a little hazy/ cloudy..don't freak out. This is were the 3M rubbing compound comes in place. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle. Then it will look like new. Works great I highly recommend.

You may then want to try a product called LampGaurd to protect your lenses from getting scratched up again.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=14&year_no=1995&veh_id=174&item_group_id=2&veh_opt_choice_id=0

This is a known problem with our cars.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
THANKS GUYS!...........

But NO THANKS to TheRedHorseman...........I hope you're constipated for a week!    
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny, I swapped out headlight bulbs on my 1990 300ZX this morning...The previous owner had put in blue tinted bulbs for some ricey effect..I couldn't see squat without using the foglights...The guy should have known better, he was almost 40 when I bought the car from him...I put in some Sylvania Silverstars...for what they cost they had better light up the neighborhood come sundown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top