Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 7:30:43 PM EDT
Let them out for the last time, [3] Husky/shepard mix hauls ass out to the side of the field [about 1500-2000 acres of empty land behind me] and I hear someone cuss and the dog growl/bark. Called her off and she came running back acting quite pleased with herself. My neighbor and I have suspected a bit of poaching on his land, either from his neighbors on the side [weirdo son] or by someone parking in the carpool lot on the hwy and walking back to the field. I've found several gut piles that are not from us. My neighbor does not hunt and he would not have been on that side of the property anyways. Grabbed the SRH .454 wi/red dot scope I use for hunting and walked back there. Other then a bunch of footprints [just one set been raining for a day and a half] heading off down the trail found nothing cept for a bit of cloth. Guess the dog musta just tagged his coat or something. He [if its the same person] must bow hunt as I've not heard a shot at night. It would be pretty easy to get close enough to pop a deer as I've walked up on then easily before as long as I stay downwind and crouch.

I hope he got the hell scared out of him by the pooch, she weighs about 95-100 lbs now and is mostly black on top with a white underbelly. Bet he never saw her til she was right on him. Anyways, I'll have a talk with my neighbor tomorrow and I guess I'll have to dig out the night vision glasses and walk back there for the next few days. I'd bet I'll be carrying more heat then he will IF he's stupid enough to come back. And yes, I'll have a chat with the DNR tomorrow AM.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for her! I hate poachers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Shoot 'em all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot 'em all.

Grounds frozen.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot 'em all.

Grounds frozen.

God invented back-hoes for a reason
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot 'em all.

Grounds frozen.

make them shovel, then shoot em
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Go back tomorrow and find the big pile of crap he left when your dog got to him.

HH
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go back tomorrow and find the big pile of crap he left when your dog got to him.

HH

I'll see where the tracks go tomorrow morning. If they go across the back of the field It'll probably be the psycho neighbor on the other side of his field. He is a bit "off". If not they will probably go to the car lot or to the hwy as we had problems last year with drifters who came down the river and popped deer from the boat. Have not seen that problem this year tho.

I figured it was a waste of time tonight and when I walked out there afterward I was just wearing slippers [but camo'ed one's ] Had a lot of melt today but the tracks should be ok now as it's about 30. I hope Mr Hankey the Christmas poo visited him when poochie showed up.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Lucky dog...

Most folks who would poach on someone else's property would probably think little of killing a dog...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lucky dog...

Most folks who would poach on someone else's property would probably think little of killing a dog...

If he had a bow it would be just a bit hard, especially if slippery and an dog who is extremely fit and long legged suddenly appears out of nowhere. And I did think of that, thats why I grabbed the .454 before I walked out there. She called off fine, if she had not I would have let the other 2 sic him. I know of very few people who could take 3 dogs. I would prefer however, not to have to explain to the deputy why I sicced 3 dogs on a poacher. I know one would be almost impossible to call off. She sort of retarded as she had parvo as a pup, she gets something in her brain and it is very hard to call her off, especially if she was fighting. Besides, they did their job, and as there are a few cameras the neighbor [on my side, good guy] has put out, he might have got a shot or two. He's using 3200ASA speed film without flash so I'll have him check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top