Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/25/2005 7:27:54 PM EDT
It will be used for long distances 300-400 yds. Will most likely zero at 150-200. The rifle is a 300 Win Mag.

Thanks,
bd
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:02:17 PM EDT
Try this one
sight in
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:04:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:42:23 PM EDT
If you are planning on hunting I found a shareware program for computing trajectories and maximum point blank ranges. You need to know the ballistic coefficient for your bullet and the velocity (preferably chronographed out of your gun) to use it though.

IM me if you are interested, but hurry up or it will have to wait until tomorrow, cause I'm starting to have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:04:14 PM EDT
I'll tell you how I do it and you can try it if you want to. Use a large target; about 3' X 3' set up at 50 yds. With a rifle vise or some sandbags position the rifle so that with the bolt removed you can see the target centered in the bore by looking through the barrel from the 'safe end'. Using the scopes adjusting screws/knobs so that the cross hairs are positioned over the bullseye on your target. Check to be sure that you haven't jostled the rifle out of position by looking through the barrel. If it looks good and the cross hairs are on the bullseye, load one round and fire from your well anchored position. Keep the barrel free of the sandbags. This should get you 'on paper'. Using the information that you gained from this first shot, adjust windage and elevation untill the windage is perfect and the elevation is a couple of inches high.

Move the target out to the desired sight in range and fine tune the adjustments. I'd zero it about 2" high at 200 yds and hold dead on for a 300 yd shot. IMHO

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 9:10:35 PM EDT by bluduk15]

Originally Posted By the_great_snag:
If you are planning on hunting I found a shareware program for computing trajectories and maximum point blank ranges. You need to know the ballistic coefficient for your bullet and the velocity (preferably chronographed out of your gun) to use it though.

IM me if you are interested, but hurry up or it will have to wait until tomorrow, cause I'm starting to have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head...

inbound. Thanks for everyone's help. I've been doing it right all along, but wanted to get some detailed pointers to make sure.

bd
Top Top