Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 4:37:49 PM EDT
So, who here has the balls to do something like this?

www.nytimes.com/2005/12/23/international/americas/23bolivia.html

Official Call to New Leader of Bolivia Is Spanish Hoax

By RENWICK McLEAN
Published: December 23, 2005
MADRID, Dec. 22 - The Spanish government expressed outrage on Thursday after a comedian for a conservative radio station here held a five-minute telephone conversation with the new president of Bolivia while claiming to be the Spanish prime minister.

Spanish officials were taken by surprise Tuesday evening when Evo Morales, who was elected president of Bolivia on Sunday, announced that Prime Minister José Luis Rodríquez Zapatero had called to congratulate him and to invite him to Madrid.

"We were immediately suspicious when we read the comments on the wires, so we took them to the prime minister," said an official in Mr. Zapatero's office who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly about government business. "He looked at them and said, 'I never spoke to Evo Morales.' "

The radio station, Cope, which is owned by Spain's Conference of Catholic Bishops and is a critic of the Zapatero government, broadcast the telephone call on Wednesday, revealing that it was behind the prank.

"Thank you very much," Mr. Morales said after the comedian invited him to Spain, according to a transcript provided by the news agency Europa Press. "I'd like to visit you, Mr. President."

On Thursday, Miguel Ángel Moratinos, Spain's foreign minister, summoned the Vatican's envoy here to demand that steps be taken to prevent such "deplorable acts" from happening again at the radio station.

Spain's justice minister, Juan Fernando López Aguilar, accused the station of seeking to sow distrust between Spain and Bolivia and of trying to ridicule Mr. Morales.

"They have arrogantly humiliated a Latin American nation, whom they look down upon from a position of supposed superiority," he told reporters in Madrid on Thursday. "It is morally reproachable."

The radio station apologized Thursday. But both Spain and Bolivia said the apology, which was conveyed in a private letter to the Bolivian Embassy, was inadequate.

The real Mr. Zapatero telephoned Mr. Morales on Wednesday night, apologized for the prank and congratulated him on his victory.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember a few years ago when someone prank called Castro
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes.

I just wish someone would do it to one of our (so called) leaders!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta say its better then my best prank calls
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

We have (so called) leaders!?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

We have (so called) leaders!?

We must have, how else would we know how to think and act?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top