Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 4:05:47 PM EDT
I have had an opened bottle (capped of course) of White Distilled Vinegar in the cabinet for about 6 months. There is not an experiation date and there is no note of it needing refridgeration.

Is this still ediable? I need two tablespoons for my ham recipe.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It's vinegar. What's it gonna do... go sour?

honestly i don't know. But i've used vinegar that was years old.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it in a glass bottle and and is clear? If so it's fine. If it's in a plastic bottle that is all cloudy throw it out. The best vinegars are aged for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Plastic bottle and clear. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
From the Vinegar Institute (would you have believed it?)

How Long Does Vinegar Last?

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegar’s shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From the Vinegar Institute (would you have believed it?)

How Long Does Vinegar Last?

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegar’s shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

That's true in a glass bottle. In a plastic bottle the friggin plastic starts to breakdown after about two years.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If you keep it too long....it turns to.....wine!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top