Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 10:01:31 AM EDT
EBAY GRINCH STEALS CHRISTMAS
Fraudulent auctions for electronics total more than $100,000

Dec. 22, 2005 – The FBI and Secret Service, along with immigration services and law enforcement officials across the country, are on the look out for two internet scam artists who are on the run.

Hundreds of people across the country are out hundreds of dollars after falling victim to one of the most wide-spread and extensive scams in online auction history.

In the past month, more than 400 eBay shoppers won auctions for iPods, digital cameras and other electronic equipment presented by Alisher Mardonov – eBay user id alisher71. This seller was an eBay certified Power Seller – the mark of “high-quality seller.” Alisher71 was also a “green star” on eBay and had received more than 387 positive feedbacks since becoming a registered user with eBay in December of 2003.

With this reassurance from eBay, winning bidders sent money orders ranging from $150-$500 to Mardonov for their Christmas presents. Three weeks later and just days away from Christmas, these buyers have still not received their gifts. Mardonov has stopped returning emails and phone calls. It’s a real-life story of the grinch stealing Christmas.

As buyers realized their money was gone, they began leaving negative feedback for alisher71. Since Dec. 16, more than 100 negative feedbacks have been posted. On Monday, Dec. 19, eBay sent an email to buyers informing them that alisher71 is “no longer a registered user” within the eBay community. The email warned buyers to not send payment to the user. Unfortunately, it was too late. Since alisher71’s account has been terminated, negative feedback can no longer be left. Countless other victims are now cut off from posting their experiences.

eBay has refused to help the victims of this fraud. The online auction site will do nothing further, stating that alisher71 has 10 days to respond to claims. Yet his account has been terminated and he has no way to respond.

Because of their frustration, victims of this fraud have joined together. Police in Naples, FL – where Mardonov resides – have been contacted and a detective has been assigned to the case. In addition, victims are filing cyber fraud complaints with the FBI and their local authorities. A blog site has been started where victims can share their experience and progress on the matter. The blog can be accessed at : www.alischersucks.blogspot.com.

Because of this scam, Christmas has been ruined for hundreds of people around the country.

It appears that if anything is posted on the ebay discussion board about alisher71- it would be deleted - hence the website listed above.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe the dude died...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
alischersucks.blogspot.com/

Russian crooks if you ask me.   They sell thing legit to get their rating then use something like Christmas to reel in the big fish.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Are people still using ebay?  Ooops.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Are people still using ebay? Ooops.

-That's no BS.
I won't consider ordering anything off eBay unless it's from a known dependable business (brick-and-mortar or website), a local seller I have met or the item costs so little that I can just toss the money anyway.

It seems that for about every multiple of $50 that an item on eBay costs, there is about a 50% increase in the chance that the merchandise is defective, misadvertised or never really existed in the first place.
~
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, I think e-bay is great.

I just found a Merwin and Hubert barrel latch (made in the 1880’s) that I needed and probably couldn’t have found otherwise in a hundred years.  I thought I was going to have to make one (groan!) – instead I got an original part for about $25.

And about a year ago I got a 6 inch barrel that I’ve been trying to find for the past 20 years for a long-discontinued Beretta Jaguar.

OTOH, I wouldn’t even consider trying to get something like an i-Pod there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope those greedy sob's @ ebay pay dearly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a local guy (El Paso, TX) get caught doing the same thing, selling the same stuff.  They know what's hot and when to strike to make a killing, fortunately this guy got caught.  He tried to keep his scam going a little too long.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Ebay talks the talk but won't walk the walk when someone gets screwed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, now that's a scam.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#12]
So much for eBay, and "Safe Harbor".....lets see, they will seize your funds with PayPal for selling AR parts, but your SOL if you get hosed for thousands.

Good luck to them.......and they should have used CC for their purchases, and NOT through PayPal, as by their TOS, you gotta go through an arbitrator........can't sue.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Gotta love a scam, Im always one step late on my good ideas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]
wow that sucks
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Are people still using ebay? Ooops.

-That's no BS.
I won't consider ordering anything off eBay unless it's from a known dependable business (brick-and-mortar or website), a local seller I have met or the item costs so little that I can just toss the money anyway.

It seems that for about every multiple of $50 that an item on eBay costs, there is about a 50% increase in the chance that the merchandise is defective, misadvertised or never really existed in the first place.
~

Great attitude! NOT!!

Being that the g/f is an eBay Power Seller, I lack an appreciation for that attitude. There are a lot of good, decent people selling, and buying on eBay, and they don't need a storefront to give a transaction legitimacy.  Millions of dollars of transactions go along just fine.  

For instance, I just completed bidding on an auction for MREs. And I didn't pay the over-inflated $65 - 70 that we're be jacked for in the EE. $41.00 Baby, + actual cost shipping for the same thing. Who's ripping who off now?  

IRL, the experience quoted below is by far the most prevelant.

Quoted:
Actually, I think e-bay is great.

I just found a Merwin and Hubert barrel latch (made in the 1880’s) that I needed and probably couldn’t have found otherwise in a hundred years.  I thought I was going to have to make one (groan!) – instead I got an original part for about $25.

And about a year ago I got a 6 inch barrel that I’ve been trying to find for the past 20 years for a long-discontinued Beretta Jaguar.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I always check the sellers feedback before I buy stuff.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope the buyers file a class-action against eBay.
Legit or not, shake the trees, and the leaves shall
tumble down.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I always check the sellers feedback before I buy stuff.  

It didnt matter in this case. He had good feedback and was a poweseller when he robbed all these people.  He set this shit up in advance. He sold things legitimately then once he was in good standing he posted a million things to sell as Christmas gifts then never sent the packages.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Alisher Mardonov:  All this scammer has to do is make it to Israel, and he'll be safe from all prosecution.  Nice, huh?

Two criminals who stole $130 million from US banks are laughing their asses off there, too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I love eBay.  I've used it for many years without issue and will continue to do so.  Then again, I rarely make "large" purchases there.

It's an acceptable risk.  I'm aware of the risk I up a bid.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#21]
all it takes is the russkies to ruin christmas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top