Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 5:04:56 AM EDT
before being melted down.

I want to know how this is done. Especially on shotguns and homemade pistols. I think someone is full of crap. Wish I could call them out on stuff like this.
wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=1135748

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Over three consecutive Saturdays, sheriff's deputies amassed more than 250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol

Gotta love that unbiased reporting from the AP...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
They'll run what they can through IBIS.  Normal business.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
IBIS? Can you break that down for us? Any idea how the information is supplied to IBIS?

Quoted:
They'll run what they can through IBIS.  Normal business.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure, they'll run a ballistics test to see if any of them were used in a crime,  but if any of them were reported as being stolen, will they be returned to their rightful owners?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IBIS? Can you break that down for us? Any idea how the information is supplied to IBIS?

- A Google search would probably get you more info.  I dont work with the crime lab, so I'm not fully informed about the ins and outs of IBIS.  As far as i know, it is a data base of ballistic information on firearms used in crimes.  The information comes from recovered casings, bullets, firearms, etc. that are entered into the system by the lab techs.

....but if any of them were reported as being stolen, will they be returned to their rightful owners?

- Around here they are. Hell, I recently recovered a stolen slide action 22rifle that was stolen 8 years ago.  The gun, though the stock is missing and its generally beat to hell, is sitting at our property control waiting for the owner to come and get it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Over three consecutive Saturdays, sheriff's deputies amassed more than 250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol

Late 80's early 90's there was a whole bunch of tec nines converted to full auto.
Not say they are right but they could be half right.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Balistic testing will result in nothing.

Marylands program is a failure.

New Yorks Program is a failure.

California performed a study under perfect conditions and found that when cartridges from the same manufacturer were test-fired and compared, computer matching failed 38 percent of the time. With cartridges from different manufacturers, computer matching failed 62 percent of the time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
hell, food stamps fo ruseless guns... Stupid is as stupid does.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Balistic testing will result in nothing.

Marylands program is a failure.

New Yorks Program is a failure.

California performed a study under perfect conditions and found that when cartridges from the same manufacturer were test-fired and compared, computer matching failed 38 percent of the time. With cartridges from different manufacturers, computer matching failed 62 percent of the time.

- we've made a number of cases based off of matches through IBIS.  To say the testing will be a failure, even using your own stats, so your statement is incorrect.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]
and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late 80's early 90's there was a whole bunch of tec nines converted to full auto.
Not say they are right but they could be half right.

Nope... it is either a "machine gun" or it is semiautomatic.  It can't be both.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Pseudo-Dupe:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=421341
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top