Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 10:09:18 AM EDT
Some low balling fuck hacked into my PayPal account and went shopping on my hard earned money.  $2000 worth.  

Put in a report to PayPal.  Anyone have any experience with PayPal fraud claims and their ability to investigate the incidents.  Will they refund my money?

Merry X-Mas
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some low balling fuck hacked into my PayPal account and went shopping on my hard earned money.  $2000 worth.  

Put in a report to PayPal.  Anyone have any experience with PayPal fraud claims and their ability to investigate the incidents.  Will they refund my money?
Merry X-Mas

That sucks man.  

knowing paypal I would not trust them to cover your loss.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
did you ever allow anyone to use your pc?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#4]
You are most likely screwed!  PP's policy isn't usually worth the paper it's printed on!  They'll investigate, sure, but in the end you'll be found at fault somehow so they don't pay!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's to hoping the shit weasel dies of testicular gangrene.  Hope you can still have a Merry Christmas, and good luck with your case.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Why was $2,000 in your Paypal account?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why was $2,000 in your Paypal account?

+1

I use PayPal as a way-station for my money, not a place to keep it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The transaction debited my checking account from my bank.  I notified my bank, but they said it was up to PayPal to settle the matter.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The transaction debited my checking account from my bank.  I notified my bank, but they said it was up to PayPal to settle the matter.  

Man, that sucks.  The trick to having a checking account tied to PayPal is to use a completely separate account (without an overdraft line of credit) that only has money in it when it needs to go to PayPal.  A scammer can't siphon money that isn't there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's the thing that you have to worry about. Once you become a confirmed or registered or whatever they call it PayPal acct, they default to your checking acct rather than your credit card.

This way you are also not protected by the $50 fraud maximum of your credit card.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, that sucks.  The trick to having a checking account tied to PayPal is to use a completely separate account (without an overdraft line of credit) that only has money in it when it needs to go to PayPal.  A scammer can't siphon money that isn't there.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

It's even easier to just stay away from Paypal, tho.

You didn't want to listen before, maybe now you'll understand and hopefully help others understand as well.  Paypal is unsafe and unreliable, they act as a financial institution without having to follow any of the laws and regulations of one.  

I'm sorry about your loss and hope you could get some of it back.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone hacked in? As in they knew your PayPal password?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, the email I got contradicted the actions I received when I called the bank and described the situation.  The email spoke in terms as if I were challengeing a merchant.  The people on the phone put the money back int he account and will fax me the affidavit on Monday to finalize the claim.  So, looks like the bank will hook me up with this.

One would think since it was defrauded from a checking account, the bank would have some protection and it looks like its kicking in.  

This is a fuck of a thing to deal with, especially since I'm in Baghdad on X-mas.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Good to hear!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy shit

I have a payment to make with paypal and then my account is being closed.
Those ass clowns are really making it worthless anymore
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Will they refund my money?

Sorry for your loss, but this is completely your fault and the fault of the thief who stole your money.  I don't go near Paypal with a ten foot pole.  My wife had someone take her for $400 through her credit card through Paypal a couple of months ago.  She did get the money back.  I just asked her if she has ever given her bank account number to Paypal and got the "well, maybe".

If you have a bank account and you give the info out then you risk losing all the money in your account.  It's that simple.  "But I get such great deals on Egay" won't matter if you don't get your $2000 back.  I hate thieves.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This is a fuck of a thing to deal with, especially since I'm in Baghdad on X-mas.  

Rumsfeld, is that you?  Glad things worked out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for your loss, but this is completely your fault and the fault of the thief who stole your money.  I don't go near Paypal with a ten foot pole.  My wife had someone take her for $400 through her credit card through Paypal a couple of months ago.  She did get the money back.  I just asked her if she has ever given her bank account number to Paypal and got the "well, maybe".

If you have a bank account and you give the info out then you risk losing all the money in your account.  It's that simple.  "But I get such great deals on Egay" won't matter if you don't get your $2000 back.  I hate thieves.  

You do understand that you give not only your bank account number, but also the routing number and check number range to EVERYONE that you ever gave a check to?

It's just like your credit card, you have handed the number, expiration date, and secret 3 or 4 digit code to hundreds or thousands of people.

So please, blame the crook, not the victim.  Sure, he should have stayed away from Paypal, but we don't have to shove it in his face.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have a bank account and you give the info out then you risk losing all the money in your account.  It's that simple.  "But I get such great deals on Egay" won't matter if you don't get your $2000 back. I hate thieves.

You do understand that you give not only your bank account number, but also the routing number and check number range to EVERYONE that you ever gave a check to?

It's just like your credit card, you have handed the number, expiration date, and secret 3 or 4 digit code to hundreds or thousands of people.

So please, blame the crook, not the victim.  Sure, he should have stayed away from Paypal, but we don't have to shove it in his face.

I did blame the crook.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Just removed my bank account info from mine
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#22]
find out through paypal where these transactions went to, then find the shipping address through the company.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#23]
It was Santa spreading your wealth..

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
find out through paypal where these transactions went to, then find the shipping address through the company.

I have a name and I have an emial address to where the payments were made.  The money had to go to an account in Paypal, so hopefully they can reverse the funds, or whatever they do to remedy theft.  I was tempted to email this person, but I don't want to interfere in the investigation.  Wouldn't want to give the perp any warning or moves.  

Another interesting disovery.  The address used for the payments show my old address.  Makes me wonder if my wife left some info back at the old place and someone thinks they can order things to that address.  

I know my old landlord very well and will ask him if he knows the name of this mysterious person.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Gargoyle: Thanks for posting your problems with PP, many people on this board has varous complaints about them.  "To be forwarned is to be forarmed." as watchword to the rest of us.  I hope you get your money back.  $2,000 is not chump change.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Gargoyle: Thanks for posting your problems with PP, many people on this board has varous complaints about them.  "To be forwarned is to be forarmed." as watchword to the rest of us.  I hope you get your money back.  $2,000 is not chump change.

Thanks dude,

Merry X-Mas

- Brad in Baghdad
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

BULLSHIT.
If that debit card has a Visa logo on it you have the Credit card protections in place.
Go to your bank and issue a chargeback.

paypal might not be too happy though.

On a side note, this is why I *only* have a credit card linked to my PayPal account. If someone gets my info and runs up charges and Paypal isnt very timely in getting it resolved I will sidestep Paypal and go right to my CC company and have them issue a chargeback. Credit card companies do not fuck around.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just cancelled with them.

I also did the same.  I forgot I still had my checking account listed with them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:57:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, glad to hear that a living creature (a shitstain at that) got your money and not paypal.

Been there, got a sore ass to show for it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#30]
How can you cancel with Pay Pal? I need to look into that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top