Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been averaging about 200 hours of private sector training a year for the last couple years.

I've seen EVERY make of handgun and rifle go down. I don't think there is any one "Wundergun"

Good firearm hygine, good ammo and good physical foundation should keep you running clean.

Any instrutor that pushes an agenda should be looked at with great care.
The only caliber reccomendation I've ever recieved is "Your 9 mm will probably expand. A .45 will never shrink"

He also disliked red dot sights when you ignore your irons.

ymmv
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Im condidering the upcoming course in febuary at San Jose.  Tactical thunder or somthing like that
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I took the Gunsite 350 class last year with a Glock23 .40sw... It ran like a top, no problems at all this was my first Gunsite class and I got my E ticket and took Topgun... Ed Stock was primary instructor and used a custom Sig P229, Ken Campbell was the assist w/ a 1911... The only guns that had any function problems were the 1911's ... I still love them and have several that are 100% but I carry Glock... It's worked for me.... By the way my Department wouldn't come off a thing for one of their instructors to go to this school.. I took vacation and paid for everything and I'd do it all again... Gunsite is top notch..!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I took the Gunsite 350 class last year with a Glock23 .40sw... It ran like a top, no problems at all this was my first Gunsite class and I got my E ticket and took Topgun... Ed Stock was primary instructor and used a custom Sig P229, Ken Campbell was the assist w/ a 1911... The only guns that had any function problems were the 1911's ... I still love them and have several that are 100% but I carry Glock... It's worked for me.... By the way my Department wouldn't come off a thing for one of their instructors to go to this school.. I took vacation and paid for everything and I'd do it all again... Gunsite is top notch..!  

Ask your taxman if you can take the class and related expense off of your taxes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How was your first Gunsite course 350 when 250 is a prerequisite?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends on where you go.  Gunsite is very 1911/.45ACP oriented.  Tactical Response is Glock/9mm oriented.  

My best advice is to pick a style of training that you like and that suits you, and stick with instruction in that style.  For instance, I prefer the 1911/.45/Weaver style, so I am a Gunsite graduate as well as training under Pat Rogers.  That is not to denigrate the Tactical Response style, it's just that my experience is that it's better to be very proficient in one style instead of confusing your muscle memory.

Solid advice.

TFTT and Max Joseph is 9mm/AR oriented.

I use a .40 Walther myself.  I'm usually the oddball in class

Hey, I have been to several TFTT schools myself.  I liasoned for Max last year when he did a rifle class here in Dallas.  He was a 1911 in .45 carrying guy then.  

I did his 3 day Advanced Tac pistol course and VIP class.  Got a black shirt at the Pistol class.

I see a mix at schools. 1911's and Glocks are the predominant guns.  Sigs are next, followed by HK and Beretta, with an occasional S&W thrown in.  One guy had a Ruger.  Also I saw one HK P7, but it got WAY too hot for the guy to finish with it, so he switched to a USP.

I carry a 1911.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top