Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/23/2005 11:38:50 AM EDT
...is making me bitter and argumentative.

And I'm not normally. So before I say something untowards or mean or start violating the CoC, I'm going to go home and lie down and I'll come back when I'm less likely to type with ill intentions.

Merry Christmas.

uxb
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:46:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 11:46:25 AM EDT by thelastgunslinger]
Vicodin (hydrocodone), eh? It does that to a lot of people.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:51:48 AM EDT
Oxy worked for my wife and it didn't make her mean and argumentative. Of course when she came off it..............
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:53:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:
Oxy worked for my wife and it didn't make her mean and argumentative. Of course when she came off it..............

Oxycodone (Percocet) is much preferred by many people for this reason
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:07:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

Originally Posted By callgood:

Oxycodone (Percocet) is much preferred by many people for this reason

I took oxycotin 20 and Perc 10's for 1.5 years, I stopped taking them (cold turkey) Oct, 16,2005. I went thru bloody hell for 3 days. I went through so much hell that to this day I get sick to my stomach thinking of the hell I went through.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:16:15 PM EDT
Yes you are, you know you like to argue and bitch about everything..

Get to feeling better soon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:21:03 PM EDT
Vicodin makes my wife horny and semi-comatose. I'm not kidding. That's some weird shit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:54:07 PM EDT
An ibuprofen IV took care of the pain the last time I passed a stone. High oral doses may help. When my back goes out I'll take 800mg doses for a couple of days and it works great. Check it out with the doc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:12:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
Vicodin makes my wife horny and semi-comatose. I'm not kidding. That's some weird shit.

For some reason I guess that that doesn't bother you very much.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:08:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SkiShooter:
An ibuprofen IV took care of the pain the last time I passed a stone. High oral doses may help. When my back goes out I'll take 800mg doses for a couple of days and it works great. Check it out with the doc.

That stuff will eat a hole in your stomach.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:01:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Originally Posted By SkiShooter:

That stuff will eat a hole in your stomach.

Yep. I don't take it on a regular basis. Only for a day or too when necessary.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:06:38 PM EDT
The "ibuprofen IV" was probably toradol (ketorolac) - it works great for a lot of musculoskeletal pain.

I'm not a big fan of Vicodin - it has a ton of tylenol in it (compared to other oral pain meds), and patients can sometimes don't follow instructions, and can end up taking toxic doses of tylenol. I stick to percocet & dilaudid for oral pain meds (when I write for them).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:09:53 PM EDT
demeral ( sp ?) much better you just kind of float around, you dont feel a rush to do anything, your hand could be cut off and you would say " that aint gonna buff out, oh well "
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:11:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uxb:
...is making me bitter and argumentative.

And I'm not normally. So before I say something untowards or mean or start violating the CoC, I'm going to go home and lie down and I'll come back when I'm less likely to type with ill intentions.

Merry Christmas.

uxb

I know the thread you are refering to...and I remember your profession.

Merry Christmas, hope the stone passes, and I wish you opiate induced dreams of XM's, CAR's, and Commandos.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 3:15:59 PM EDT by st0newall]

Originally Posted By Flotsam:
The "ibuprofen IV" was probably toradol (ketorolac) - it works great for a lot of musculoskeletal pain.

I'm not a big fan of Vicodin - it has a ton of tylenol in it (compared to other oral pain meds), and patients can sometimes don't follow instructions, and can end up taking toxic doses of tylenol. I stick to percocet & dilaudid for oral pain meds (when I write for them).

isnt percocet just oxycodone (percodan) with tylenol. oxycodone instead of hydrocodone bitratrate? and dilaudid? 2 or 4 mg just the hydromorphone in nice little tabs that junkies grind up and shoot. a different world than perocet or vicodin. they used to make anexisa-d. 7mg of hydrocodone and apc which i prefer. would rather have aspirin than tylenol..

personally 5 mg of hydrocodone= 5 mg of oxycodone. but one is c3 and the other c2. a little easier to get refills.

also oxycotin. . as far as im concerned a drug designed to be abused. take a time released tablet, grind ti up, snort or shoot and it will kill you if you get the big ones. and the stuff's price wholesale is rediculous. I really think the designer of this super-percodan knew it had tremendous potential for it to be abused...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:06:45 PM EDT
Well, it's 5mg Lortabs (Hydrocodone/Apap) and 10mg Toradols (Keterolac) and if I'm still hurting after four hours I can take 50mg of Mepergan (Prometh). Haven't had to take the Mepergans yet.

And the stone is 4.5mm x 5.3mm and is in the left ureter about 1cm from the entrance to the bladder. Too far below the pelvis to bust with ultrasound lithotripsy and too high to reach with a laser. just have to wait for it to move far enough to pass (fingers crossed) or get stuck where they can do the laser lithotripsy.

I'm feeling much better and will stay out of that other thread.

And on a positive note, my Singlepoint came in today for my XM177E2 clone, and it's much bigger than an OEG. Pics tomorrow after I've rested.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:12:42 PM EDT
Damn, I could use some of those fancy drugs. My knee is hurting something fierce today and the 1600 mg. Ibuprofen I took today did absolutely nothing to ease the pain.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:14:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattja:
Damn, I could use some of those fancy drugs. My knee is hurting something fierce today and the 1600 mg. Ibuprofen I took today did absolutely nothing to ease the pain.

Those might do something, not that strong in the big scheme of painpills
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:15:03 PM EDT
You folks know way too much about pain medicine - and there's no way you are all nurses, pharmacists, or doctors.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:17:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
You folks know way too much about pain medicine - and there's no way you are all nurses, pharmacists, or doctors.

Gotta know what works so you get something that will work and not something that will leave you in worse pain and dryheaving like that stuff I was given did.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:24:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:

If you had my knees you would know more about pain pills than firearms.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:29:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
Vicodin (hydrocodone), eh? It does that to a lot of people.

Not true, I have a couple in me right now and I'm as pleasant as can be,

so F*CK off.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:27:13 PM EDT
Nope - I'm not a doctor, nurse or a pharmacist :)

Although the abuse potential is there w/ drugs like Dilaudid, I find the little pills easier for patients to swallow, Ibuprofen or Tylenol can be added by the patient as needed (w/ appropriate instructions not exceed max. dosages), and it works very well for pain.

As for oxycodone be equivalent to hydrocodone - all the equianalgesic tables I've read, and my own experience w/ patients is to the contrary - oxycodone is more potent. I've used plain oxycodone tablets & elixirs as well (no tylenol), but a lot of pharmacies don't normally stock these, and it can make filling prescriptions difficult for some patients.

Regarding abuse - the potential is there in all of the opioids, but they are all we really have for treatment of significant pain (drugs like Toradol excepted, and I haven't seen great results w/ oral toradol). It's essentially malpractice to not adequately treat pain nowadays, however, (the big issue is what is adequate & who makes the determination - patient or provider - ideally it's a happy medium between the 2).

I think part of the problem many run into is expectations - some patients expect to pain-free after major surgery. With very few exceptions, that usually isn't going to happen (epidurals do a great job in some people). My goal in pain control is to make the level of pain tolerable, not to make it disappear altogether.

Hope the kidney stone passes OK.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:34:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Flotsam:
My goal in pain control is to make the level of pain tolerable, not to make it disappear altogether.

Why would you not make it disappear altogether if you can?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 10:55:25 PM EDT by Flotsam]
If I can safely - fine. But as you start escalating doses, the side-effects of many of the opioids start becoming more of a problem. I'll add NSAIDs, Tylenol, etc.. to mitigate pain (I'm a fan of IV toradol, but it can be a little rough on the kidneys, so I don't use a ton of it, and it's over a pretty short period of time - I'll typically use it for 3 days, max).

I've had numerous patients who complained of excruciating pain, but were always zonked when I went in to see them. Some want to feel nothing, some want to be completely oblivious to everything, and some just want to feel high, while others (and the majority of my patients, thankfully) want to be able to get out of bed & walk.

I'll do my best to make someone as comfortable as possible, but my goal is to make their pain tolerable (per the patient), and allow them to get back to somewhat normal activities (walking, bathing, etc...). If I can meet that goal, I figure I'm doing OK.

Top Top