Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 7:19:16 AM EDT
Good read…

But John Murtha says…

newsminerextra.com/iraq/blog/considering-another-side_26

The view from on the ground

Think about everything you’ve heard about the conditions in Iraq, the role of U.S. forces, the multi-layered complexities of the war.

Then think again.

I’m a journalist. I read the news everyday, from several sources. I have the luxury of reading stuff newspapers don’t always have room to print. I read every tidbit I could on Iraq and the war before coming.

Everything I thought I knew was wrong.

Maybe not wrong, but certainly different than the picture in my head.

I liken it to this; It was real struggle for me to choose to see the Harry Potter movies. I had read the books and loved the pictures I had in my mind of the details I read. I didn’t need to see a movie; I had a movie playing in my head of exactly how I perceived the stories.

I had similar notions about Iraq, Mosul, the war and what exactly soldiers do. And it was handily shattered like glass today by a group of soldiers, half of them younger than myself.

There are houses of this city that by Fairbanks standards are luxurious. Or at least they were at one time. They are ornate and gated and in neighborhoods with schools, stores and mosques. They are also ghosts of what they once were. They are still lived in, but after years of war and lack of many basic municipal services, the houses look spent and tired around the shutters.

There is garbage on the streets, in yards, in open areas. There is a stench. There is grime. But there are also people.

They are vivid, unlike their surroundings. They are excitable and friendly and conversational. They live in conditions I hope I don’t have to experience in my own life. Yet, if my neighborhood saw two wars, the breakdown of the national and local governments and decline of municipal services, I’m not sure I wouldn’t be in the same boat.

I still haven’t seen U.S. troops engaged or encounter car bombs or explosives. But I did see them play backgammon with some local police and Iraqi soldiers. I saw them take photos with more locals and make jokes mostly lost in translation. They gave advice and expertise to local troops on how to conduct a neighborhood patrol. They drank the local customary tea, and many admitted they’ve become addicted to it. They know several locals by name. I didn’t hear one slight or ridicule of a very distinct culture. One soldier mentioned it might be a good idea to clean up the trash around one polling place, and another commented on the status of women in the culture, but they were nothing but respectful, friendly and buddy-buddy with the Iraqis they mingled with today.

And this is good stuff.

More than anything in the last few days I’ve heard from soldiers and commanders that people back home don’t quite get it. They don’t see the real picture. They don’t get the real story. Some of them, like Lt. Col. Gregg Parrish, look seriously pained in the face when he says only a part of the picture is being told; the part of car bombs and explosives and suicide bombers and death. It’s a necessary part of the picture, but not a complete one, he says.

I’ve listened to the soldiers and Parrish about the missing pieces of the puzzles that don’t reach home. My selfish, journalistic drive immediately thinks “Perfect. A story that hasn’t been told. Let me at it.”

But I have a slight hesitation; I need to keep balanced. I can’t be a cheerleader, even if I have a soft spot for the hometown troops, especially after the welcome they’ve shown me. I still need to be truthful and walk the centerline and report the good or bad.

But then I realize it’s not a conflict of interest. If I am truly unbiased, then I need to get used to this one simple fact; that the untold story, might in fact, be a positive one. It takes a minute to wrap my mind around it, as a news junkie that became a news writer. The great, career-making, breaking news stories usually don’t have happy endings; they usually revolve around disturbing news, deceit and downfall. Nasty political doings. Gruesome crimes and murders. Revealing secrets.

But I’ve come upon something that is none of those. Not this aspect of it. There are politics to this war and controversies and investigations. But there is another side.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, stories like this don't sell papers or make ratings, death, destruction and mayhem make the $$'s!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
That story needs to be on the front page of every newspaper in the U.S. and read on every televised newscast.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for tonight.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Apparently it doesn't even interest folks HERE either.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Yup
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Because it speeks for itself.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Because most of us already knew what he didn't.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I read it. Doesn't surprise me. It will get squashed because it doesn't involve torture, dead Americans, insurgents, IED's, Bush's fault or any other false, misleading sensationalism.

Too bad it won't get past here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

No because good news rarely generates interest, whether measured by TV ratings, newpapers sold or responses to posts.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Yep
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

No because good news rarely generates interest, whether measured by TV ratings, newpapers sold or responses to posts.

I rarely feel a need to respond to such posts.  There are usually enough  comments to let it slide by.  I don't feel I need to add a +1 to what the article says.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
BTT ( a tag with a purpose )
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
OK,          Yay!  One reporter saw the light.

Fairbanks?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

The riots in France were bad news, and generated little coverage.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Same can be said for the death of a family pet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
might be interesting to fwd this to your local paper, although I'm sure it'll be ignored.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

hhmm, I thought that was good news
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Who was rioting? And where?

That's why it got little coverage.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, stories like this don't sell papers or make ratings, death, destruction and mayhem make the $$'s!

And they don't get Democratic antiwar candidates elected to the highest office in the land.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

+1

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Try posting it at DU. Please get back to us with your results.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Doesn’t surprise me coming from the NewsMiner, it was a fairly conservative paper when I lived there 8 years ago.
The Anchorage Times on the other hand is a very liberal newspaper, but I bet you would even see something like this in it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

Try posting it at DU. Please get back to us with your results.

He'll get banned and the post will be missing within five minutes of posting it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#26]
My cousin is over there. The first line of the last email he sent to his parents was "Don't worry about me, it's not like you see on CNN".
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Where did that article come from?  Got a link?  
I am guessing the link provided is not to the actual story, but to what Murtha said. . .

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, an "embedded" (aka US military-approved) reporter has something good to say about the US Military! Who would have thought!</sarcasm>
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

It's because nobody here is surprised (except for a few s).  It's like posting an article that says "guns don't cause crime".
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Never read this piece in the Philly Inquirer!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Wow, an "embedded" (aka US military-approved) reporter has something good to say about the US Military! Who would have thought!</sarcasm>

good article
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
... A fantastic read, but for many of us that have friends and relatives there, we knew this already.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#35]
The fellow who helped me buy my engagement ring a few days ago was from afghanistanstan and told me that he visited last year and things are a million times better than they were pre-US invasion.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#36]
This is why we are only hearing now about the NSA "spying" operations.

The only thing that matters to the media and their Democratic party masters is winning the White House.  

The thing is that the NSA spying storie is probably as fake as the Valerie Palme affair or the fake "we are losing the war in Iraq" stories.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag the tack.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I read it.  I have a different take.

The reporter only skirted the edges of the good news but made sure you know there are still bad things going on.  I believe it is still written from a rotten, bloated ego, attention whore liberal perspective.  It's not about the war it's about HIS interaction with the war.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Excellent read!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Good story, he should have TOLD US MORE ABOUT THIS "OTHER SIDE"!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice,
 Isnt it funny how the truth never make the news???

FREE
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#42]
thx
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Spent six months rebuilding the Baghdad city govenment in 2003-2004, our group would put on press events, write media releases, shoot video interviews for hometown papers on the good stuff that was happening, new infrastructure services, new schools opening, new health clinics, courts opening again, streets repaired, housing rebuilt, local neigborhood govenments set up and rebuilding their own communities.
NONE of it EVER made it onto the American Press.
I did end up at a Thankgiving meal put on by the paper media, quest of an invited liberal. Rooms full of paper reporters, they hate Bush, Republicans, Conservatives, Christians, Pro-lifers, the WOT, Americans in the red states "fly over people" being able to decide who became president.
Four hours and I was sick, had some considerate discussions but it was like "throwning pearls before swine, so I did even waste my breath.

So this reported, Margaret Friedenauer, who will never be heard from again.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Good read.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#45]
<DUh> Right-wing propaganda <DUh>

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
<DUh> Right-wing propaganda <DUh>

Interesting story......

I still wonder, what is the exit plan time table for leaving Korea, Japan and Germany?  OH WAIT... we never did..... And wasn't that during DEMOCRATIC administrations? (Extream sarcasim)

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for tonight.

I rarely feel a need to respond to such posts.  There are usually enough  comments to let it slide by.  I don't feel I need to add a +1 to what the article says.

My thoughts exactly.

OK I tagged it.  Feel better now?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

yeah, asshole, just like the nbc reporter who caught that marine shooting the wounded iraqi and caused such a stink for awhile, that kind of "us military approved" embedded reporter.

and just for your information, jerkoff, he was told by the military afterwards he could still remain with the unit if he wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top