Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 3:56:48 AM EDT
Any people with more melanin then whites or asians and they freak out.  They chased the African American meter reader out of the back yard.  

They also dont like strange men of any race.

Its just kind of interesting to me.

ETA:  This is not meant as anything offensive or anythng of that nature.  Its just an observation. So please, 88 types stay away.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Any people with more melanin then whites or asians and they freak out.  They chased the African American meter reader out of the back yard.  

!

What are they, GERMAN SHEPHERDS?!?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe it's just territoriality?

man, remember that episode on "family guy"? [brian]"oh god, i'm SO sorry, i don't know WHERE that came from!"[/brian]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

!

No they are nice Golden Retrievers.  Friendly as all get out with people they know.  But any strange men or darker people and they freak out.  Barking and growling.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Much like George Bush, Dexter doesn't like Black people

EPOCH
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I see you have trained them well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

!

No they are nice Golden Retrievers.  Friendly as all get out with people they know.  But any strange men or darker people and they freak out.  Barking and growling.

Im just joking, man. I used to have a 200+ lb Rottweiller that did the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Whens the last time you have met a rabid golden?  They are the most laid back dogs you can get.  Friendly and always ready to play. Its just weird to see aggression in these two.  The older one started it and now the younger one has learned the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

!

Im just joking, man. I used to have a 200+ lb Rottweiller that did the same thing.

I would love a Rot if they didnt drool so much and make such big dog logs.

They have to be the most loyal and protective dogs.  My buddy has one and it will allow his little girl to poke, kick, pull his tail, gouge its eyes out. She will ride him around the house like a pony.  But if he yells at his daughter, he growls.  But the dog and the little girl will take naps together and when his wife was depressed and not doing well, it would follow her around and would not leave her side.  His wife still thinks the dog kept her sane.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#13]
man, i hope i don't get flamed for this but do you think it's cuz they smell different? let's face it, like sticks with like for the most part so white folk's dogs don't smell black folks often...maybe it freaks 'em out?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
man, i hope i don't get flamed for this but do you think it's cuz they smell different? let's face it, like sticks with like for the most part so white folk's dogs don't smell black folks often...maybe it freaks 'em out?

I dont think so, because they get anxious even when men are farther away.  And its not just people of color but also stange men.

So I think its more body language or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Maybe so bud but looking at those eyes, that's not a vicious dog.  Looks like an excellent pet and companion.

Tj

Best friend I've ever had...  

But he still doesn't like some people

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Could just be something different.Where and when I grew up,there just wasn't that many black folks around,and interaction was very limited.Our dogs just never saw them.Most dogs are more alert/aggressive when strange men come by.Maybe mor of a threat to them,and their standing in the "pack"?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't think you all should bring those dogs to any ARFCOM get-together that CavVet is invited to
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't think you all should bring those dogs to any ARFCOM get-together that CavVet is invited to

Once they get to know a person they are fine.  If they met CavVet I bet they would love him.  Its just strangers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Woah, last pic looks like something out of Pet Cemetary
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

More like the only one in this thread Id be inclined to shoot with is TJ.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#24]
My dog is a equal opportunity offender, she does not care what race or religion you are she just does not like you. yep shes a great dog no 88 was trained into her.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More like the only one in this thread Id be inclined to shoot with is TJ.

Hmm, I meant it as a joke - no offense intened.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I've seen the same thing wth dogs and black meter readers at my work. And I knew the dogs in question and their behavior was quite unlike what I had seen before. I think it is caused by the dark skin and that the dog is somewhat confused by it. I see the same exact reaction with people wearing brimmed ballcaps and sunglasses. Take them off and the dogs attitude changes. Maybe they don't reconize the person as a person at first, and since they are not familiar with the odor of the person they are going on sight instead. I doubt it's racist, more like confusing to the dog who then becomes defensive. However, I have also seen people who's BO sets off dogs for some reason, and the person [who usually is a bit frightened of dogs with good cause] tends to start sweating from stress when they meet up with poochie, escalating the problem. Heck, for all I know, there is a dog gene that at fault.

As for me, I am a dog magnet, the vast majority tend to act like I've been their master for years, something that I can't explain and won't bother trying because I don't know, except for  the BO thing again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#27]
It most likley is a scent thing.

Different races of people smell different.

That coupled with someone  out of their element and startaled by a strange dog will set off the adrenaline gland.

This will produce a scent which dogs instintivly equate to fear or have the smell of one who is in pre-attack mode.

Most dogs are also  very keen about folks that are up to no good and will act accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I used to have a 200+ lb Rottweiller

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Enough with the hyphenated American shit . We're all Americans!
I just say black dude or brutha
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#30]
May be it is you!!! Did you ever see the episode of King Of The Hill where Lady Bird was after the guy installing the hot water heater? It had nothing to do with the fact that he was black, it was that Hank was mad that someone else had to install the hot water heater.

Here is my bitch she hates everyone equaly:
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Eeeeeeeeeeeevil.......
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Woah, last pic looks like something out of Pet Cemetary

"When you take photos of animals, the red eye effect can be quite different. Animals have a reflective layer in the back of their eyes behind the retina called the tapetum. This layer enhances their night vision. The colour of the tapetum gives you blue, green, yellow, or white eye effect. With animals, the effect can have place even when the ambient light is sufficient to prevent it in humans."

Some animals will show red too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

ETA:  This is not meant as anything offensive or anythng of that nature.  Its just an observation. So please, 88 types stay away.

Last time I checked, black people were Americans
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I checked, black people were Americans

Not all of them. Did you take Geography?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Jasmine doesn't like mail carriers/UPS/Fedex/DHL...etc.

Doesn't matter wether they are black/white/green/purple...whatever.

It's amazing I get ANY packages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top