Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/22/2005 6:57:34 PM EDT
OK so we have a service call set up with a customer... we call her in the morning to tell her that we will be at her home between 2-4 to fix her oven fan... I show up about 2:30 and what the fuck is going on?? SHE IS FUCKING BAKING COOKIES!!!

How the FUCK am I supposed to fix a 350 degree oven?

Same thing happens with dishwashers... tell the customer we will be there at a certain time and they are running the fucking thing!!

My favorite is when customers sit there and tell me what a piece of shit their appliance is and how they will never buy one ever again and "You can tell the company this too!!" The company makes 2 million units a year and you think they give a shit?

Guess what? I dont care either. I am there to get your ass out of a problem and get you going.... I have NO STOCK or INVESTMENTS in the manufacturer so WHAT do you think bitching to the service tech is gonna do? get you the repair for free??

LAST but not least... STOP yelling at the service techs because you have a broken product!

I didn't design it
I didn't manufacture it
I didn't distribute it
I didn't sell it
I didn't buy it
I didn't use it
and I didn't BREAK IT!

But if you give me a chance I'll try to fix it for you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:02:48 PM EDT
But you DO take their money.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:02:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DrFrige:
OK so we have a service call set up with a customer... we call her in the morning to tell her that we will be at her home between 2-4 to fix her oven fan... I show up about 2:30 and what the fuck is going on?? SHE IS FUCKING BAKING COOKIES!!!

Same thing happens with dishwashers... tell the customer we will be there at a certain time and they are running the fucking thing!!

My favorite is when customers sit there and tell me what a piece of shit their appliance is and how they will never buy one ever again and "You can tell the company this too!!" The company makes 2 million units a year and you think they give a shit?

Guess what? I dont care either. I am there to get your ass out of a problem and get you going.... I have NO STOCK or INVESTMENTS in the manufacturer so WHAT do you think bitching to the service tech is gonna do? get you the repair for free??

LAST but not least... STOP yelling at the service techs because you have a broken product!

I didn't design it
I didn't manufacture it
I didn't distribute it
I didn't sell it
I didn't buy it
I didn't use it
and I didn't BREAK IT!

You sir are my internet-hero!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:04:41 PM EDT
That attitude is the reason that you are never going to amount to anything in life.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:06:30 PM EDT
Godd*mn Customers........just think if it weren't for those asshats you wouldn't have to do anything.........

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:08:58 PM EDT

I have NO STOCK or INVESTMENTS in the manufacturer so WHAT do you think bitching to the service tech is gonna do?

Good point!

<telephone dialing> Mr. Whirlpool? This is Dr. Frige. I'm here with Mrs. Johnson. . . Yes, Mrs. Johnson in Anaheim. . . .Exactly, sir, that Harvest Gold J-3000 she bought from Mancini's in 1992. . . . Yup. Same exact thing. Thermostat. . . . Alright, sir, I'll tell her. . . . I'll do what I can - and you'll personally speak to the guys in Engineering about it? . . . Great. Thanks. . . .Goodbye, Mr. Whirlpool.<click>
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:12:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:

I have NO STOCK or INVESTMENTS in the manufacturer so WHAT do you think bitching to the service tech is gonna do?

Good point!

<telephone dialing> Mr. Whirlpool? This is Dr. Frige. I'm here with Mrs. Johnson. . . Yes, Mrs. Johnson in Anaheim. . . .Exactly, sir, that Harvest Gold J-3000 she bought from Mancini's in 1992. . . . Yup. Same exact thing. Thermostat. . . . Alright, sir, I'll tell her. . . . I'll do what I can - and you'll personally speak to the guys in Engineering about it? . . . Great. Thanks. . . .Goodbye, Mr. Whirlpool.<click>

I double dog dare you to try that DrFrige!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:13:52 PM EDT

Doh!

Charge her the standard service amount for showing up and reschedule. Maybe she'll take a hint after 3 or 4 visits.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:17:55 PM EDT
WOMAN! customers sure are DUMB!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:26:44 PM EDT
I feel you pain frige. BTW, My fridge has been running strong since we exchanged IM's and did some trouble shooting. Thanks again for the help. You are a good man.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:35 PM EDT
Me give you cash money, me can give you shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:30:52 PM EDT
I love it when customers ask " Why did this (clog,break,leak) today? Its never been a problem before"
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:49:32 PM EDT
My damn stove is acting up, you bast*rd!! And it cost a TON, dammit. What a piece of crap!!! Why? I demand ANSWERS!!!

No rest from the arfcom crowd....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:53:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By offctr:
I love it when customers ask " Why did this (clog,break,leak) today? Its never been a problem before"

I get that a lot. I work on servers, though.. I always say something like "if I knew that, I'd be an engineer" "the explanation is likely very technical, and even I don't understand it" or "I only fix the things, if I knew the ins and outs of all this stuff, I'd be an engineer".
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:24:55 PM EDT
I'm surprised at alot of the customers I deal with as well. The whole "thinking" concept seems really over rated these days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:29:04 PM EDT
After a move to a new house our fridge wasn't cooling properly. Called out a local appliance repair and after about 30 minutes the guy tells me that I have the wrong type of light bulb in the fridge and that it was putting out more heat than the thing could cool. Couldn't convince him that the light goes out when the door is closed. Told him to leave and fixed it myself ( piece of plastic had shifted and blocked the cooling fan ). Get some on both sides of the fence.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:30:29 PM EDT
People and their POS computers and people who dont know how to use them piss me off
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:25 PM EDT
Key words: "That is above my pay grade."
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:00:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By anomaly:
After a move to a new house our fridge wasn't cooling properly. Called out a local appliance repair and after about 30 minutes the guy tells me that I have the wrong type of light bulb in the fridge and that it was putting out more heat than the thing could cool. Couldn't convince him that the light goes out when the door is closed. Told him to leave and fixed it myself ( piece of plastic had shifted and blocked the cooling fan ). Get some on both sides of the fence.

No... there is a HUGE difference... I EXPECT ignorance from customers, There is NO excuse for shotty workmanship.... NONE! I would have thrown his ass out too!

Ever tell you of the CEO I worked for in an appliance manufacturing company? I was a technical advisor/advisor to the president on quality issues (Like THAT fucking title?) and so he calls me at my desk one day and says "I have a GE serviceman here with a 2" hole saw ready to drill it through the back of my refrigerator, does that sound right to you?"

I asked what was the reason.... Ready for this shit? "The refrigerator keeps freezing stuff so he wants to cut this hole in there to get warm air in to balance it out." WHAT THE FUCK???? I told him to kick that lame ass tech out of his house NOW!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:07:34 PM EDT
Hey drfrige, didn't u post something last night about giftwrap? I been searching for it and no luck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:08:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
But you DO take their money.

Damn skippy I do! Ive taken their money for stupid ass reasons too!

Refrigerator not plugged in, Dishwasher not plugged in, Water turned off to the icemaker when the complaint was "not making ice," Mouse/Rat stuck in the fan motor,

Oh one of my favorites... Lady stores a refrigerator for two months in Pennsylvania because she wants to keep it and move it with her to California... she forgets a london Broil in the deli drawer. So she moves the refrigerator out west and then calls ME to clean all the maggot and egg casings out.

How about this one too... Lady is pulling into the garage and hits the gas instead of the brakes and WHAM right into the refrigerator... She calls in the service call "My refrigerator isnt sealing right" Yeah well NO SHIT LADY... looking at the side profile of the unit, it STRONGLY resembles the letter "C" ... told her that the refig is junk... THEN she starts saying "There is SOMETHING you can do, its been a great refrigerator and had if for years!!!"

Unreal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:09:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
Hey drfrige, didn't u post something last night about giftwrap? I been searching for it and no luck.

Giftwrap? No... Maybe my bride did?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:29 PM EDT
Preach it, Brother FriDge!

I love when folks call me to troubleshoot their electrical problems - then get PO'd because they can't watch TV or go online because I'm messing with the power...

I've told them "Hey, if you want to pay me to sit here and do nothing, that's fine by me... I'll be happy to wait until you're done with whatever you've gotta do."

Once people realize that they're acting silly, I usually wind up getting back to work pretty quick.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:13:37 PM EDT

What's her SN? i'll search for it then leave ya alone
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:17:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tango7:
Preach it, Brother FriDge!

I love when folks call me to troubleshoot their electrical problems - then get PO'd because they can't watch TV or go online because I'm messing with the power...

I've told them "Hey, if you want to pay me to sit here and do nothing, that's fine by me... I'll be happy to wait until you're done with whatever you've gotta do."

Once people realize that they're acting silly, I usually wind up getting back to work pretty quick.

Yeah but you are in IL where a lot of people still have some sense of direction... they will realize it... Not in CA!! Its "FUCK YOU AND HOORAY FOR ME!!!"

I STILL cannot believe the customer said "Well what if I turn off the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes?"

It took everything I had from laughing at her.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:18:04 PM EDT

What's her SN? i'll search for it then leave ya alone

MrsDrFrige? I asked her but she said she didnt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:19:38 PM EDT
Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... Get back to work fridge.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:19:51 PM EDT

Yeah but you are in IL where a lot of people still have some sense of direction... they will realize it... Not in CA!! Its "FUCK YOU AND HOORAY FOR ME!!!"

I STILL cannot believe the customer said "Well what if I turn off the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes?"

It took everything I had from laughing at her.

Don't you mean "Can you fuck yourself for me and hooray for me?"

After all, actively trying to fuck you would mean effort was expended on your behalf... and I'm sure they don't think folks like us are worth it!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:20:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By texas1138:
Godd*mn Customers........just think if it weren't for those asshats you wouldn't have to do anything.........

Hey 99% of them are normal. its the 1% that make my job very interesting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:20:11 PM EDT
Ok, done Hijacking, thx for asking her.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:22:39 PM EDT
They're dumb because they're people. You can see this same stupidity pattern as they go through their day.

They almost roll through the red light because they're anxious to get going, but when it turns green they hit the brakes and look around.

They'll stop their shopping cart on one side of the aisle, then stand beside it while trying to decide what they want so that nobody can get through. (Unless you don't mind kicking a cart and going through anyway).

They'll sit at a stop sign where cross traffic doesn't have a stop sign, and stare at a car coming from 3 blocks away. When it gets about 100' away they jump out in front of it.

At an intersection that has 3-way stop signs because the fourth has a set of R/R tracks, they'll stop either on or just past the tracks and wait for the stop sign people to go.

At any intersection with more than one stop sign they'll sit there forever, even when it's clearly their turn, until you start to go. Nothing short of someone else moving will get them going.

After they fail to yield and run into the side of your truck, when the police ask them why they did it the response is "I'm not from around here".

When the cashier gives you the total for your purchase and you hand her a debit card, she'll hold it up and ask "Do you want to put it on the card?"

You go into a gas station/food mart, get a can of Coke, and put it on the counter while saying "That's it". The cashier looks at you and asks "Did you have any gas?" You respond with "No. That's why I said That's it."

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:25:28 PM EDT
Can I share another one with you?

Show up to fix this one oven and the lady seemed real nice, We start talking about music and she says, you wanna hear someone real good? I said sure. She puts on this country-style Christian music. sounds good then she starts singing OUT LOUD AND REAL LOUD with the music. OMG! here comes the kicker.. I am not really into that kind of music but I said something like "Hey, this sounds decent"

and she fucking goes apeshit!!!

'DONT INTERRUPT THE MUSIC!!!NOW I HAVE TO START IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!! DONT EVER INTERRUPT IT AGAIN!!!!"

I was like ... "WTF?"

Tolerated that 5 minutes song...again then said, "OK ma'am, I gotta go and order your parts... we'll call you when they are in" and I NEVER returned
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:27:17 PM EDT
Tag, because you have the best customer stories!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:30:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GoGop:
They're dumb because they're people. You can see this same stupidity pattern as they go through their day.

They almost roll through the red light because they're anxious to get going, but when it turns green they hit the brakes and look around.

They'll stop their shopping cart on one side of the aisle, then stand beside it while trying to decide what they want so that nobody can get through. (Unless you don't mind kicking a cart and going through anyway).

They'll sit at a stop sign where cross traffic doesn't have a stop sign, and stare at a car coming from 3 blocks away. When it gets about 100' away they jump out in front of it.

At an intersection that has 3-way stop signs because the fourth has a set of R/R tracks, they'll stop either on or just past the tracks and wait for the stop sign people to go.

At any intersection with more than one stop sign they'll sit there forever, even when it's clearly their turn, until you start to go. Nothing short of someone else moving will get them going.

After they fail to yield and run into the side of your truck, when the police ask them why they did it the response is "I'm not from around here".

When the cashier gives you the total for your purchase and you hand her a debit card, she'll hold it up and ask "Do you want to put it on the card?"

You go into a gas station/food mart, get a can of Coke, and put it on the counter while saying "That's it". The cashier looks at you and asks "Did you have any gas?" You respond with "No. That's why I said That's it."

LOL!!! all of these are great!!! But the card one reminds me of the guards at these gated communities...

Me: Hi, I'm here for the Jones residence.
Guard: Jones? Did they call you in?
Me: I dont know? DID THEY?

they are the guard!! How the hell should I know? I'll answer HIS job when he can tell me what is the problem of the appliance I am gonna fix.... assmonkey!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:33:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 4xys2xxs:
Tag, because you have the best customer stories!

I think you have one of the good ones... I'll IM you and see if you remember that gem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:35:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:37:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
I feel you pain frige. BTW, My fridge has been running strong since we exchanged IM's and did some trouble shooting. Thanks again for the help. You are a good man.

Hey no problem, i only wish i was there to help... and of course charge you too!!!

Just kidding... there are two people I dont charge. Friends and family. Arfcom fits into both catagories I guess huh??
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:43:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
Perhaps the intelligent service profesional should remind the ignorant product owner that they can not be using it at the time before durring and possibly after the service call.

DH, Think about this for a moment... you are a pretty level headed guy right? What if you called for service on your oven...does your common sense tell you not to use the oven? besides, in Calif there are so many legal "statements" we have to tell the customer that they dont even remember that we told them.

Required BY LAW here in the state of CA:

We MUST give NO MORE than a 4 hour time window (We give 2)
We MUST give service call charges
We MUST tell the customer that "Should the cost of repair exceed the minimum service call charge the technician will stop and give you a detailed estimate. At that point should you decide to decline repair, all you are obligated to pay is the service call"

Customers always say "She never told me that!"
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:44:05 PM EDT

Ohhhhhhhhhh, how well I know these stories For all the money they have, it just baffles me how blatantly fucking STUPID so many of my customers could possibly be....

Brother... I have felt your pain. You are NOT alone.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:50:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JB69:
Ohhhhhhhhhh, how well I know these stories For all the money they have, it just baffles me how blatantly fucking STUPID so many of my customers could possibly be....

HOW THE HELL IS THAT THESE PEOPLE BECOME CEO's??? JB I agree! I am baffled by the stupidity! One shmuck went on to say "I'll tell you what, I'll give you half that way you make more than you would, you pocket the cash and just tell the company that I wasnt home" I told him "Sir, I am the owner and I cant believe you just told me that!"

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 11:05:45 PM EDT by JB69]

Originally Posted By JB69:

HOW THE HELL IS THAT THESE PEOPLE BECOME CEO's??? JB I agree! I am baffled by the stupidity! One shmuck went on to say "I'll tell you what, I'll give you half that way you make more than you would, you pocket the cash and just tell the company that I wasnt home" I told him "Sir, I am the owner and I cant believe you just told me that!"

Bro, I have NOT A DAMNED CLUE I worked for some of the richest people, probably in the COUNTRY, back home.......

How these numbskulls get so filthy rich, and can actually RUN a company day to day, is completely beyond my comprehension,

I mean how the hell do you BECOME the senior veep of say, Xerox, and you dont have the common sense to shut off the power if you smell smoke from an appliance, or why I "can't" put a damned plug in the wall, where a 6 inch STEEL COLUMN is.... Cant you just cut a notch in that thing holding up half my 15 million dollar house ???

ARRRRRRRGH !

Cannot COUNT the times I've been left LITERALLY speechless by some of the things that come out their mouths.

It really makes you wonder....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:24:25 PM EDT
I had a guy trying to return a cell phone because he was having some kind of a battery problem.

His problem? He hadn't recharged the battery.

In the course of diagnosis of the problem, I asked him what he did for a living. His response?

"Electrical Engineer."

I am NOT joking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:35:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By samsong:
I had a guy trying to return a cell phone because he was having some kind of a battery problem.

His problem? He hadn't recharged the battery.

In the course of diagnosis of the problem, I asked him what he did for a living. His response?

"Electrical Engineer."

I am NOT joking.

Ohh God help me..... I had a bunch of them, for customers.

It still amazes me to this very day, how the shit those guys did, did NOT burn their houses down.

Never, so many times in my life, have I wanted to wring someone's neck while screaming at them about what a fucking idiot they are.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:24:21 AM EDT
I feel your pain. Your description sums up about 95% of the customers when I used to do phone and tier 2 tech support.

The filthy rich ones are the worst. I suppose the reason they succeed is to put bright people in the places they need to be, and block any chance of them usurping them. I used to work in R/D for a company designing printservers. The CEO had nearly no idea how the products worked other than "There's currently a market for X product, this device of ours will do the job"
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:30:39 AM EDT

If they are using it....it must not be broke.... "sign here ma'am....have a nice day!"

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:04:29 AM EDT
What kills me about making a house call is the customer can not believe how much a repair cost. I work for a sheetrock/drywall contractor and have many people call nneding a repair from either their dumbass stepping through the ceiling while getting or putting away christmas decorations in the attic, or when the plumber or electrician had to cut some sheetrock to make a repair. When I tell them the cost ($150 min. charge, $75/hour after the first 2 hours, plus materials required to fix the repair), they go apeshit when I tell them that the hole in their ceiling is going to cost them $350-$500 from start to finish. Their responce is the plumber/electrician only charged $70-$80, so my charge should be half of that! My responce to that is: did the plumber/electrician complete their repair in one trip? My repair takes a minimum of 3 trips for that hole to dissappear. It cost me over $40 just to pull into their driveway, without even getting out of the van. I have to install the patch or sheet of sheetrock, put a mud tape coat, then a mud bed-in coat. Have to wait for that to dry, this is usually done in the 1st trip. 2nd trip is a skim coat of mud and might have to make another skim coat. 3rd trip is usually to sand and re-texture the area if needed. Some homeowners ask why we can't complete everything in one trip, well the sheetrock mud has to be completely dry before we can sand the repair and if you want to continue to pay my repair guy or guys to sit around while waiting for it to dry, it's going to cost you a lot more, "Oh, ok, I'll see you tommorrow!"

People just have no clue of what is required to do a job, just get it fixed quickly & as cheap as you can. We have just about quit doing repairs for people who just call in needing a repair. Our builders keep us pretty busy as it is.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:12:54 AM EDT
Unfrackin believable - yet, I've seen enough dumb customers I actually can believe it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:43:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Unfrackin believable - yet, I've seen enough dumb customers I actually can believe it.

OK I had a regional service manager put it in the best of terms on WHY customers act like asses to us. People have "X" amount of dollars to spend. They budget their money accordingly NOT putting money aside for unforseen problems. Now their refrigerator breaks down and here you come making money off their misery. the money that was allocated for vacation is now lean because they didnt think ahead.

I do have one customer that is pretty famous. I go to there house at LEAST once a year to fix something. They ALWAYS have the checkbook out ready to write me the check. Sometimes they even leave it blank for me to fill out. I told his wife to STOP offering money because most of their appliances in their new home are still covered under warranty and someone is gonna take advantage of their good nature. He and his wife came from no money so they wanna make sure everyone gets paid.

THAT is rare in these parts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:44:54 AM EDT

I didn't design it
I didn't manufacture it
I didn't distribute it
I didn't sell it
I didn't buy it
I didn't use it
and I didn't BREAK IT!

Hey my oven door isn't shutting all the way. Its a pretty new Sears Kenmore. Can you fix that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:50:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By crazyquik:

I didn't design it
I didn't manufacture it
I didn't distribute it
I didn't sell it
I didn't buy it
I didn't use it
and I didn't BREAK IT!

Hey my oven door isn't shutting all the way. Its a pretty new Sears Kenmore. Can you fix that?

I can probably fix it. Did someone (like a kid) stand on the door and bend the hinge? or probably a spring is sprung or MY FAVORITE, if the range/oven is built by GE, the hinge has PLASTIC rollers and they melted/deteriorated...

Yeah I know, makes sense huh? Plastic rollers on an oven hinge... Next you'll see pushrods on an engine made of glass
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top