Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 5:27:03 PM EDT
Even if it was "just" an AR-15, the poor girl is now going to the crusher or smelting pot

Police give out heat vouchers for guns
December 22,2005  
PAWTUCKET, R.I. (AP) - Pawtucket police wanted to get guns off the street -- so they offered free heat to people packing heat.

They handed out 50 dollar heating vouchers to anyone who willing to surrender their gun.

Residents turned in 46 weapons during the exchange yesterday, including an M-16 rifle.

Police also collected thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Representative Peter Kilmartin -- who's also a Pawtucket police captain -- says energy costs are skyrocketing, and officials were looking for an innovative way to help people.

National Grid, New England Gas and McKee Brothers Oil contributed heating vouchers.

http://www.abc6.com/engine.pl?station=wlne&id=18429&template=breakout_story_local_news.shtml&dateformat=%25M+%25e,%25Y

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Even if it was "just" an AR-15, the poor girl is now going to the crusher or smelting pot

Police give out heat vouchers for guns
December 22,2005  
PAWTUCKET, R.I. (AP) - Pawtucket police wanted to get guns off the street -- so they offered free heat to people packing heat.

They handed out 50 dollar heating vouchers to anyone who willing to surrender their gun.

Residents turned in 46 weapons during the exchange yesterday, including an M-16 rifle.

Police also collected thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Representative Peter Kilmartin -- who's also a Pawtucket police captain -- says energy costs are skyrocketing, and officials were looking for an innovative way to help people.

National Grid, New England Gas and McKee Brothers Oil contributed heating vouchers.

http://www.abc6.com/engine.pl?station=wlne&id=18429&template=breakout_story_local_news.shtml&dateformat=%25M+%25e,%25Y

I would have payed that girls heating bill for the next three years if she would have given that to me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was an AR it is in some Police officers safe right now

FREE
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
There's something in the water in New England which when combined with a government paycheck causes sever mental retardation. A lucky few are immune.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
dumb bitch.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You know the media never gets it right. It was a damn Daisy BB gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FREE

Darn JBTs!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If by some chance you could afford an M16, what are you worried about a $50 check for a heating bill?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
With how many homes up there using oil heat, I've heard some people are paying over $400/mo to heat their homes.  At that point, depending on the size of the voucher, it might be cheaper to go buy some POS and turn it in.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You know the media never gets it right. It was a damn Daisy BB gun.

Probably a Crossman Air-17 , mine was actually lost in a boating accident, fell in the Aucilla River when the canoe tipped over
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In other (unrelated) news, hundreds of criminals easily broke into homes in Pawtucket, R.I. seeking to get warm, there was little resistance from the home owners.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
With how many homes up there using oil heat, I've heard some people are paying over $400/mo to heat their homes.  At that point, depending on the size of the voucher, it might be cheaper to go buy some POS and turn it in.

Kharn

Holy crap!

400 bucks for heat? Dayum!

GT

Looking like it'll be 77 and sunny here Sunday...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
It'd be good if they were giving vouchers for the gun used in Heat.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
1. Buy lots of cheap sub $50 BB guns and airsoft guns.
2. Hand in guns for $50 voucher.
3. PROFIT!
4. Buy ammo.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It'd be good if they were giving vouchers for the gun used in Heat.

I was intially a bit confused. I read it as analagous to "Police Give Blade Vouchers for Knives," which led me to my customary "WTF?" expression.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I need to go up the road to "the bucket" and see if I can get my hands on that gun.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I finally found a place for Airsoft
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I hear that when NY or Chicago (I forget which) had a gun turn in for 50 bucks or so a bunch of .38 Specials were turned in. They ran the numbers and found that these were the guns that had been given to officers when they switched to autos.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I call major on the M16 or even AR15.

This is the media ya know.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I know a couple of guys who work up there. I'll get the scoop and report back.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't doubt it was an M-16 .
I remember reading about several
cases of them being stolen from a
NG armory somewhere in NY years ago .

The article went on to say that
several hundred weapons disappear
every year along with grenades , shoulder
fired munitions and other explosives around
the country .
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

FREE

You got that right.....

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FREE

You got that right.....

"Oh, it really belongs to the depahtmint now. But I'm just holdin' awnta it for safekeepin', hey. Hey, whyncha pass me ovah some o'dose Krispy Kremes, hey."

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There's something in the water in New England which when combined with a government paycheck causes sever mental retardation. A lucky few are immune.

If Dostoevski's Grand Inquisitor ever came to New England and asked everybody, 'Do you want bread (i.e., to be taken care of) or freedom', people up here would invariably answer: "F### dat s#it! We don' want freedom- we want brewskis and scratch tickets, hey!"

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

the country .

Since armories don't get ammo on site, very unlikely.
Weapons are a different matter, but heads would roll over even one weapon being unaccounted for. Any military member whose ever had their post locked down while one lost weapon gets searched for in the field can attest to that, and those stories have been posted here before.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

the country .

I read that too.  Cant remember what article it was
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:19:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Somewhere between the revloution from England and Present day we've lost our testicles.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I am guessing that it was mostly people who did not buy/steal the gun and did not want it or they were people who knew the guns were used in crimes and wanted to get rid of them.  $400 gun can get at least $275 at a pawn shop or gun shop so why turn them in for $50 heating credits?  The upper from the "M-16" probably could have gone for at least $100.  

I really suspect that pro criminal groups like the brady bunch rush to Walmart and pawn shops, buy the cheapest guns they can find, and then turn them into the police programs to boost statistics.  It really makes no sense to turn guns in for these things unless the person is a criminal or a brady buncher.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:01:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Weapons are a different matter, but heads would roll over even one weapon being unaccounted for. Any military member whose ever had their post locked down while one lost weapon gets searched for in the field can attest to that, and those stories have been posted here before.

I'm not disputing what you say, since it's outside my experience, but isn't there necessarily some "shrink" in weapons inventories, just as there is in mercantile trade? A really good warehouse or retail manager can say with assurance "We will lose $XXXX.00 worth of goods each year to loss, theft, damage, and inventory inaccuracies." Wouldn't that also be true of a place where hundreds or thousands of weapons are stored?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:04:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not disputing what you say, since it's outside my experience, but isn't there necessarily some "shrink" in weapons inventories, just as there is in mercantile trade? A really good warehouse or retail manager can say with assurance "We will lose $XXXX.00 worth of goods each year to loss, theft, damage, and inventory inaccuracies." Wouldn't that also be true of a place where hundreds or thousands of weapons are stored?

I can only speak to my experience on this, but I fully agree with tc556guy.

In 98 I was in the AF.  I worked in the armory on Scott AFB, IL.  I left the armory for an admin job 2 days before they got a shipment of replacement M16's in from a base that was closing.

Somehow or another, a gun came up missing.  It took them over a month, and several hundred thousand dollars to recover it.  They ended up going through a 200 sq yard portion of the landfill for several weeks and finding the weapon, which had been left in the shipping box by an idiot.  

They make damn sure their weapons don't end up outside the military in the CONUS.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There's something flouride in the water in New England the US which when combined with a government paycheck causes sever mental retardation. A lucky few are immune.

Fixed it

Oh yeah, I've asked it before, can a private citizen set up a gun buy back.  Say I advertise $25 movie cards.  Would the JBT allow that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone see the irony here?   Police giving minute amount of money for guns.  Anyone who paid $500 for a gun isn't going to go trade it for $50 of heat.   Some will go out and STEAL guns and then take $50 for it.  Police causing CRIME.   wow we live in a brilliant society.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

True, dat ...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#34]
We need to organize and put a buyout program across the street from these gun-turn in camps.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:54:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the country .

If the guy in charge of making certain they were all checked into the arms room was to convince everyone who could see him that he would give them a cut of the action and that they would not do any time for it . . . maybe, come on, give some of the guys some hope
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I never hear about gun buybacks here in Texas. I wonder if they have them here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If the guy in charge of making certain they were all checked into the arms room was to convince everyone who could see him that he would give them a cut of the action and that they would not do any time for it . . . maybe, come on, give some of the guys some hope

While it may have been known to happen ( graft/ greed, whatever you want to call it, and I am thinking of one depot level repair center that had a parts and pieces scam going a few years ago that was finally caught ), sooner or later the deficiency at the armory level  WILL be discovered. If not when the monthly serial number checks are done by the armorer and one other E7 selected on a  rotating basis, then at  one of the annual inspections, or a change of command inspection. And heads would roll.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Dumb Mother Fers could have pawned the guns for more than $50.00, geez some retarded people in Rhode Island.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

the country .

Why not? We get to pick up Ma Deuce's along the creeks here in Kansas.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a Jennings still waiting for a gun turn in for something cool, but I never see them here suprisingly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#41]
From another source...

www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15799103&BRD=1713&PAG=461&dept_id=24491&rfi=6

""We had a mix from literally a derringer right up to an M-16 (military rifle)," Kilmartin said. "It helped get guns off the street and helped keep people warm."

In one case, where an elderly woman called to say she had a gun to turn in but couldn’t get there, a police cruiser was dispatched to her house for the pickup.

The M-16, Kilmartin said, came from a woman who had inherited the weapon and didn’t know what to do with it, in what he said was a common circumstance for people who take part in gun buybacks. Now, he said, she need not worry that rifle could be turned against her by someone breaking into her house, or seeing it stolen and out on the street."

If it really was an M-16, I wonder if it was in the NFA registry?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I wonder how they publicize these things.  They have a gun buyback once a year?  Hell, we have gunshows every few months, Here's an ad idea:

"This weekend, the blah blah Gun show!  Don't waste your time going to gun buybacks, only to give up your guns at pennies on the dollar!  Bring it to the show, and we'll offer you fair market value.  That old gun you grandfather brought back from the war may be worth thousands!  No heating vouchers, no gift certificates, bring your guns and get real cash!"

Huh?  Huh?  Why the hell don't they do that?

I'm sure the grabbers would shit a collective brick!  That alone would be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If there are no records or names taken/given then it's the perfect way to get rid of crime guns.

No doubt, best place to drop off a murder weapon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

and if it were, i wonder if anyone took the time to tell her it may bw worth 10,000-15,000.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Im going to go and stand in front of one of these places and offer people 100$ cash for what ever they are going to have destroyed. This sounds like a really good idea.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#46]
would it be legal to set up a table just before the line for the turn in and offer $51/gun?
(assuming face to face buys are legal)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

FREE

Quoted:
From another source...

www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15799103&BRD=1713&PAG=461&dept_id=24491&rfi=6

""We had a mix from literally a derringer right up to an M-16 (military rifle)," Kilmartin said. "It helped get guns off the street and helped keep people warm."

In one case, where an elderly woman called to say she had a gun to turn in but couldn’t get there, a police cruiser was dispatched to her house for the pickup.

The M-16, Kilmartin said, came from a woman who had inherited the weapon and didn’t know what to do with it, in what he said was a common circumstance for people who take part in gun buybacks. Now, he said, she need not worry that rifle could be turned against her by someone breaking into her house, or seeing it stolen and out on the street."

Years ago a little old lady turned in a AR15 to the local PD for destruction.  One of the detectives took it home and kept a safe in his son's room for years.  His son used it to kill 2 Border Patrol Agents and wound a deputy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top