Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2001 7:21:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Frank, Sounds like you did'nt purchase the insurance. Even if you have a credit card that says it will cover your car its not worth the hassle. In the rent a cars eyes you're responceable @#$% for the car untill your card pays for the damages to the car. Purchase the insurance that way you can just walk away from the car. Only rent from the "big names", you listed good ones. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I find myself renting from Budget and Avis most of the time.

SILVER SURFER's right.

Forget about the CC insurance and buy their LDW for about $9.00 a day.  CC insurance is secondary to your own insurance.

Purchasing the rental insurance will take precedence over all others and save you the hassle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer Budget for price and selection.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW:  I've had great experiences with Hertz.  As a company, they must be pro-gun, as an NRA discount can be had.  My USSA discount overrides that, though.  Anyhow, about 2 years ago, during a week from HELL, both of our cars broke down.  I rented one from Hertz, me as the only renter, not knowing enough to include my wife.  Well, of course, she gets hit.  Both Hertz and USSA said she WAS authorized, however, and covered the incident.  Also, I never buy that per day "not your fault" insurance, and don't recommend anyone does, but they also bypassed their usual "you pay first" in that instance and went after the at fault party, I never heard a word about it.  Hertz impressed me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
ditto the Hertz thing.

also must add.  had an interview one time with Enterprise (the "we'll pick you up" people).  lady asked me to describe a situation in which i tried to "sell" somebody something, not necessarily an item to buy, but an idea, thought, etc.  

never one to back down, and always one to spread the word, i describe my RKBA conversations with friends and family members.  that one thing lost me the job.

also, they asked me to sign a waiver that gave up my right not to be searched.  basically said that they could search anything anytime.  didn't even use the words "probable cause."  i told her i wasn't signing it until she clarified just exactly how much of my 4th amendment right i was waiving.  she couldn't give me an answer.  that didn't help with the interview.

i tell her i'm ready for the next step (3 interview process, progressively up the corporate ladder).  she says, and i quote, "well, let me find out about that one thing for you and i'll get in contact with you."  yeah, right.  two days later i got a rejection letter postmarked the same day as my interview.

i'm assuming Enterprise will pick you up, but they'll sacrifice all your rights doing it!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
We got a deal on the internet with Hertz(in SF).
We got a almost brand new Dodge Intrepid SE that was alot of fun to drive (I would buy one if I did'nt need truck to move friends and friends of friends every week-end!). The check out was real quick, I would recommend looking for deals with them. Sorry but I did'nt reserve the car so I don't know where on the internet to look.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I generally disagree about buying insurance from the rental agency.  In one case Enterprise was charging as much per day for insurance as they were for a car.  Also, the insurance was many times more expensive than my plain old auto policy on a per day basis.

I usually rent from Alamo or Avis.  I like both of them, and have Alamo Quicksilver so I can avoid their lines.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
FrankSquid,

I travel a bit and Hertz has usually been the best for me.  The cars are usually in the best shape, they don't loose the reservation that often and they are pretty good about upgrades.  Prices are competitive and ditto the NRA comments.  Check out a vehicle with GPS... really cool!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top