Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 12:47:27 PM EDT
I'm buying a Mac to edit video for work.

Mac is nonnegotiable because we want to do it in iMovie.

The apple pricing scheme is pretty simple, it's linear all the way from the Mini's to the quad G5 powermacs.

The Powermacs are a bit rich, we're looking for around 1500, so it'd probably be either of the iMacs. Are those decent? Should we upgrade the memory? Or should we suck it up and go the Powermacs?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I do TONS of video editing and I wouldn't touch anything that uses a proprietary codec, *cough* <MAC>...

True, they used to have a corner on the market as far as video editing goes, but if you're not going to go "balls-to-the-wall" and get an AVID or something similar, I'd choose something like a good Pentium based (preferably dual-core Pentium) and use MPEG/DVD instead of something like iMovie that is only going to replay with Quicktime...

just my humble .02, nothing more...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The issue is really that we're getting a bunch of non technical people doing this work (public health researchers); so we needed idiot-proof software; ergo iMovie.

We aren't doing anything complex; we shoot interviews and then stitch together the interesting parts for a distribution version.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top