Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:58:09 AM EDT
For a 14yo male who is saying he was shot a week ago and just found a bullet in his head....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:01:00 AM EDT
This just in. A fistfight is in progress in downtown Springfield. Early reports indicate, and this is very preliminary, that one of the fighters is a giant lizard. [to off-camera aide] Do we have a source on this? ... Uh-huh. A bunch of drunken frat boys. I could use some names... I.P. Freeley... (grimaces)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:08:12 AM EDT
Best I ever heard.

dispatch"311 you have an incoming emergency"

me"stand by" get to rig.

me"dispatch go ahead for 311"

Dispatch "Proceed to insert addy here for unknown emergency"

me "en route"

few minutes later

Dispatch laughing "311 we have further info on your unknown"

Me "go ahead"

Dispatch laughing "14 year old female, has stubbed her toe on a speaker"

Everyone in EMS can relate to that, and this probably.

Dispatched to an address for "chest pain"

Thats all the info we got.

Get there. Yep his chest hurt. 5 GSW's to the upper torso I love dispatch.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:10:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 11:13:02 AM EDT by deej86]

Originally Posted By photoman:
For a 14yo male who is saying he was shot a week ago and just found a bullet in his head....

Isn't the human race interesting?

Dusty, and that's what I see as part of the bad part of wanting to be a 911 dispatcher, you deal with a lot of BS calls.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:29:14 AM EDT
Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is your emergency?

Caller: Someone broke into my house and took a bite out of my ham and cheese sandwich.

Dispatcher: Excuse me?

Caller: I made a ham and cheese sandwich and left it on the kitchen table and when I came back from the bathroom, someone had taken a bite out of it.

Dispatcher: Was anything else taken?

Caller: No, but this has happened to me before and I'm sick and tired of it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:34:41 AM EDT

It's best that the shooter be thankful that he had the gun during the fight, rather than the shootee being thankful it was only a .25 ACP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:40:27 AM EDT
My brother in law was rushed to the ER for severe abdominal pain. He thought he had ruptured his appendix or something like that. They checked him over. Turns out he had an ingrown hair on his nutsack.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:42:57 AM EDT
I still remember the one me and Photoman heard wehre the Police Officer had ammo cooking off in the back of his car becasue his hand held searchlight switched on and heated up
Somthing about that freakin area, dude..
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:43:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
I love dispatch.

i used to dispatch and it is impossibly difficult to get good information from people.

you know how the system works and the citizen doesn't. I would hate how some would start asking questions instead of answering them. I always had an option to try and explain what is going on w/ my end so they would quit asking questions and start answering, or, just ignore their questions and hope that they answer mine quickly. By the time I answered their stupid questions, I could have completed the call and had units enroute. They are truly clueless.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:44:02 AM EDT

I remember seeing a story on discovery channel about a reporter that went to the hospital for bad migraines. When they did an Xray of his head they found a bullet lodged in there. Turns out like 15 years before he was in some foreign country covering some sort of riot. He got hit in the head by something, he looks down on the ground and saw a brick laying there, so he assumed someone had hit him in the head with the brick. He went back to his hotel and cleaned himself up. I guess he never thought he had been shot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:51:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kooter:

I remember seeing a story on discovery channel about a reporter that went to the hospital for bad migraines. When they did an Xray of his head they found a bullet lodged in there. Turns out like 15 years before he was in some foreign country covering some sort of riot. He got hit in the head by something, he looks down on the ground and saw a brick laying there, so he assumed someone had hit him in the head with the brick. He went back to his hotel and cleaned himself up. I guess he never thought he had been shot.

How do you NOT know you've been shot?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:53:00 PM EDT
Well, look at the symptoms: Shot by bullet = serious pain. Hit by flying brick = serious pain.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:13:51 PM EDT
Dispatched to a burglary in progress.... I arrive and it turns out to be this crazy bitch who has heard squirrels running on the roof of her house.

A back-up unit is enroute and I cancel him, telling him it's just squirrels.

The Lt. comes on the radio (after what must have been just pulling his head outa his ass ) and says " Are the suspects still there "?

Me- Negative.

Lt- Did they flee on foot? And if so direction of travel and clothing description ?

Me- Yes LT. they did flee on foot...last seen traveling west from this location, wearing brown fur coats.

Lt- Height ,weight, sex, race ?

Me- About 4" tall ,maybe a pound or two each , unknown sex .... and I'm sorry Lt., but I don't know enough about squirrels to give you an accurate race.

For some reason, he didn't say anything else on the radio the rest of the night...........
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:18:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SgtSwat:
Dispatched to a burglary in progress.... I arrive and it turns out to be this crazy bitch who has heard squirrels running on the roof of her house.

The Lt. comes on the radio (after what must have been just pulling his head outa his ass ) and says " Are the suspects still there "?

Me- Negative.

Lt- Did they flee on foot? And if so direction of travel and clothing description ?

Me- Yes LT. they did flee on foot...last seen traveling west from this location, wearing brown fur coats.

Me- About 4" tall ,maybe a pound or two each , unknown sex .... and I'm sorry Lt., but I don't know enough about squirrels to give you an accurate race.

For some reason, he didn't say anything else on the radio the rest of the night...........

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:31:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kooter:

Me- Negative.

+1
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:15:11 PM EDT
I'd have liked to have heard the call for this one, taken from the Irish Independent a few months ago.

______

A DONEGAL lifeboat crew was forced to mount "Operation Free Willy" after a bridegroom-to-be suffered an unfortunate accident with the zip of his trousers.

The rescue took place on Arranmore Island after the groom, who had been celebrating his stag party with a large group of friends, became entangled in his zip in the men's room of a bar in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution station on Arranmore was contacted about the crisis at 8.20am and took the injured man, a Donegal native, by lifeboat to the coastal town of Burtonport, where an ambulance took him to Letterkenny general hospital.

RNLI spokesperson Nora Flanagan said it was one of the more unusual call-outs for the experienced crew, who did their best to comfort the man during the 20-minute journey to the mainland.

"It definitely left the highly experienced crew stumped and running for their first-aid books, but no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't find a section on zipper entanglement," she said last night.

"Talk about the unkindest cut of all."

It is understood that the man has since been discharged from Letterkenny general hospital.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:22:59 PM EDT
My volunteer fire dept is dispatched by the county, and occasionally I'll listen in to the traffic other than my depts.
One day, the dept just north of ours was dispatched to a t-shirt on fire in the middle of the road. You could tell the dispatcher was holding back laughter. We initially only one person from that dept responded, and made it to the station and jumped in a brush truck. Eventually several other members of that dept got on the radio and told him they would be standing by to help if he needed it. Upon arriving on scene he let dispatch know that the t-shirt was fully involved. Then about 30 seconds later he announced that the fire was out and he would be clear of the scene.
Boy that was a nail-biter
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:25:06 PM EDT

Me- Negative.

I don't care who you are, that right there's funny.

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:30:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZootTX:
My volunteer fire dept is dispatched by the county, and occasionally I'll listen in to the traffic other than my depts.
One day, the dept just north of ours was dispatched to a t-shirt on fire in the middle of the road. You could tell the dispatcher was holding back laughter. We initially only one person from that dept responded, and made it to the station and jumped in a brush truck. Eventually several other members of that dept got on the radio and told him they would be standing by to help if he needed it. Upon arriving on scene he let dispatch know that the t-shirt was fully involved. Then about 30 seconds later he announced that the fire was out and he would be clear of the scene.
Boy that was a nail-biter

As first on scene, did he assume T-shirt command?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:32:49 PM EDT

Me- Negative.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:11:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:

Pretty easy actually. I caught a bullet in college and I didn't know till someone pointed out that my pants leg was all bloody. Between the adrenalin rush and confusion from the situation I didn't have time to notice it. I was more interested in getting the fuck out of there. I disn't catch it diretly it came accross my leg just below my knee at an angle and only broke the skin. At least thats what I figure because there was no bullet in my leg. I got a nice scar from it though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:13:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:
I still remember the one me and Photoman heard wehre the Police Officer had ammo cooking off in the back of his car becasue his hand held searchlight switched on and heated up
Somthing about that freakin area, dude..

I met that officer about two months ago. Cool guy.

I never did her anything more about this particular call though I'm kinda interested in what happened and if it really was a bullet or not.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:48:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:

Pretty easy actually. I caught a bullet in college and I didn't know till someone pointed out that my pants leg was all bloody. Between the adrenalin rush and confusion from the situation I didn't have time to notice it. I was more interested in getting the fuck out of there. I disn't catch it diretly it came accross my leg just below my knee at an angle and only broke the skin. At least thats what I figure because there was no bullet in my leg. I got a nice scar from it though.

+1 I got shot in a structure fire. Fire got to a loaded .22 I didn't know it for 10 or 15 minutes, the bullet is still in the thigh muscle. x-ray, betadine, shot in the ass, band aid, script for lorcet+. In and out of the ER in less than an hour.
Top Top