Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 9:04:34 AM EDT
I read the thread the other day about washers and dryers.

Problem is, the washers in that thread started around $1000.
We've only got about $1200 total to spend for both.

Anybody know a brand that ranks high on reliability?

I'd like to keep 'em 20+ years.

(We've got a Maytag factory here in town, but word is that they are junk. ??)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the report on washers & dryer in Consumer's Reports at your local library.  They have extensive data on reliability etc.  They have some excellent recommendations.  I bought my washer(maytag) & dryer(whirpool) based on their recommendation, and in 20 years had zero problems with the washer, and minor door interlatch with the dryer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
HE3T/HE4T scratch n dent fropm Sears' warehouse (they have them in most larger cities) + a cheap dryer (upgrade the dryer later)

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Kenmore, you can get the base Kenmore Elite Pair for about $1100. They have all the features that you would really need, but not go overboard. If you can spring for it though, I would definatly recomend going for a front load, they are not a whole lot more for the smaller ones, but will save you money in the long run.   I have worked for S-Mart for 5 years, and every one who comes in, their excuse for not buying the extended Protection Agreement is, "I have had my Kenmore for over 20 Years, and it is just now acting up."
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged. I'm going to need a set in a month or two.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Sears outlet store get the HE3 or HE4  (dont get the he3t or he4t-just adds a heater)  can get dinged stuff WAY cheaper.

if not, het their HE2 line (sears)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a pair of Admiral/Maytag that I just paid $650 give or take for both.  They seem just fine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#7]
good luck getting any appliance to last for 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
get front load whichever brand you get
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I went Sears back in '77. Dryer still running, washer gave up the ghost 4 years ago.

DO NOT BUY THE MAYTAG NEPTUNE I replaced my Sears washer with one and had some trouble soon after. About a week before the warranty ran out I called for repair and no local shop would touch it- "Maytag won't reimburse us what it takes to fix it." So the Maytag guy came and by the time he was finished he had replaced everything but the body and door. Cost me 50 bucks. Now it is making an intermitant noise like plastic gears not quite meshing. Not every load. Washer guy couldn't figure it out- said call when it dies. When it works, it's great, but I don't need any suspense at this point.

I'd +1 the Consumer Report idea. Unless Sears has outsourced to a bunch of Stoneage workers, I would buy from them again.

ETA- I still get class action crap from lawyers re the Neptune. I must not be the only one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the Neptune.  Maytag had a run of bad stuff....  I own a pair.  The dryer is awesome, but the washer sucks.  Bad diodes/triacs, door lock motor defective, all kinds of electrical surge issues.  Mold gorws on the door seal, etc..etc..  I found a guy in WA who knows what is wrong, and resolders a bunch of crap on the circuit boards.  Mine still does mess up from time to time.... but I live with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I went Sears back in '77. Dryer still running, washer gave up the ghost 4 years ago.

DO NOT BUY THE MAYTAG NEPTUNE I replaced my Sears washer with one and had some trouble soon after. About a week before the warranty ran out I called for repair and no local shop would touch it- "Maytag won't reimburse us what it takes to fix it." So the Maytag guy came and by the time he was finished he had replaced everything but the body and door. Cost me 50 bucks. Now it is making an intermitant noise like plastic gears not quite meshing. Not every load. Washer guy couldn't figure it out- said call when it dies. When it works, it's great, but I don't need any suspense at this point.

I'd +1 the Consumer Report idea. Unless Sears has outsourced to a bunch of Stoneage workers, I would buy from them again.

ETA- I still get class action crap from lawyers re the Neptune. I must not be the only one.

+1.

Consumer reports says the Neptune are "trouble prone."

I bought the set at Sears, they are being installed as i type this.

I just got the HE3T and the matching dryer based on Consumer reports and some friends' reccomendations.
'
ZIf I were you, go get the HE3, around 1k, and get a cheap assed dryer.  According to consumer reports, the most important consideration re a dryer is the washer, ie, how much water the washer gets out tells you how hard the dryer is going to be working.   To me, getting a good front loader that extracts a lot of the water means you might squeak by for several years on a substandard dryer.

My old Kenmores are 13 years old, little trouble, but it's getting too frequent to keep fixing them.

Sears has 0 interest on Sears card until NEXT jan, ie '07, if that helps.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone familiar with the LG brand Washer/Dryer in 1 combo?

I'm a single guy and don't do much laundry.  Also I could put in the clothes in, have them washed and dried in a few hours and not have to worry about switching from the washer to dryer.  I also think they have a wrinkle free setting that tumbles them every now and then.  With my old dryer my clothes would sit for 20 minutes and be a wrinkled nightmare.  Also I hear it's ventless which I guess it reuses the heat and separates the moisture internally to make it very efficient.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Fisher & Paykel

You will not be sorry.

Fisher & Paykel

Don't listen to me though...go ask some repair and sales people.  

CALLING DR. FRIGE...CALLING DR. FRIGE!  Launder Appliance Question on Ward 3!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Consumer reports says the Neptune are "trouble prone."

I bought the set at Sears, they are being installed as i type this.

I just got the HE3T and the matching dryer based on Consumer reports and some friends' reccomendations.
'
ZIf I were you, go get the HE3, around 1k, and get a cheap assed dryer.  According to consumer reports, the most important consideration re a dryer is the washer, ie, how much water the washer gets out tells you how hard the dryer is going to be working.   To me, getting a good front loader that extracts a lot of the water means you might squeak by for several years on a substandard dryer.

My old Kenmores are 13 years old, little trouble, but it's getting too frequent to keep fixing them.

Sears has 0 interest on Sears card until NEXT jan, ie '07, if that helps.

You will LOVE the HE3  you cant believe how quiet the thing is.  I kept my old dryer - problem is the he3/4 hold more than wash most normal dryers can handle- so if you do not get the  matched dryer-get the biggest "cheap" one you can.
Trust me - you can pretty much pack the clothes full in the he3/4 and it will clean em fine- but can be a bit too much for smaller dryer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#15]
From memory, CR said the LG, as of LAST YEAR, had not enough track record to reccomend, but seemed well-built.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]
We have always just bought the cheapest no frills brand name stuff we could find.  The frills are really just bs and they are what screw up. KISS.  We had to buy a new washer a couple of years ago. Still using a 25+ yr old dryer [ which will probably now crap out ]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow, 16 replies in less than an hour!
Cool!

Thanks for all the info.

Do the HE3 and HE4 have actual model names?

I'll do some reasearch and see what I can find.

Is AR15 an awesome site or what?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to SEARS.com, look at the Kenmore line, and the HE4 is top of the line, then the 3, then the 2.

There are subtle differences between the -3s(there are several ), for example, but all you can tell on the website is that they cost different amounts.

I went to Sears, the store.  I learned that the"T" designation denotes an internal heater, in case someone has the flu, for example.

The difference between the 3s and the 4s is that the 4s have a "very hot" setting, rotates faster on the spin cycle, and some other even les important "differences."

I didn's see a 2 there, but expect minor downgrades from the 3.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#19]
+ 1 on the Sears Kenmore HE3/HE4 models. I have the Whirlpool Duet combo (I believe Whirlpool makes the HE3/HE4 models as well) and this thing is a tank. Clothes come out cleaner than the day I bought them.

Whatever you chose, seriously consider the front loaders. Uses a fraction of water and spins it out  (and in turn) uses less electricity/gas for drying. Plus most of them are Energy Star and some electric companies give out rebates (~$30 not much, but it helps)

Look for a Sear's scratch n' dent store as someone recommended. They are usually around 25% less than retail, but they don't deliver so borrow a pick-up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top