Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:56:40 AM EDT
Bush pardons two Tennessee moonshiners
Associated Press
Published: Thursday, 12/22/05

KNOXVILLE — President Bush has pardoned two Tennesseans convicted decades ago of moonshine charges.

"It's a good Christmas present," said Charles E. McKinley, 75, of Pall Mall in Fentress County.

Also pardoned was Carl E. Cantrell, 57, of Monteagle in Grundy County, who said, "It was the biggest relief I ever had."

The pardons this week restore full U.S. citizenship to the men, including the rights to vote and buy a gun, their attorneys told The Knoxville News Sentinel. But their records will reflect both the felony convictions and the pardons.

Cantrell said that in the mid-1960s he and two friends set up a still on the side of Monteagle Mountain, surrounded by trees. "It don't take a genius to make it," he said.

Soon afterward, the site was raided and he was convicted of Internal Revenue Service liquor law violations and given three years probation.

McKinley said he was driving a friend around in 1949 and they stopped at his friend's still to get something to drink. Driving away, they were arrested by the feds. McKinley was convicted of IRS liquor law violations and given two years of probation.

He said he never intended to sell moonshine, only drink it. "I just got in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said.

McKinley added that he may have to change his political support since he's been helped by a GOP president: "I'd almost be a Republican after that."

Cantrell expressed surprise by the pardon.

"Really, to tell you the truth, I thought that nothing would be done about it," he said.

Cantrell said he was looking forward to being able to vote and buy a gun.

"I wasn't trying to cause nobody no harm," he said. "I was just trying to make a living."

www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051222/NEWS01/512220393/1006/MTCN0301
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
why didnt toookie get pardoned..

bush is a rasict..
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
This is great news!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
why didnt toookie get pardoned..

bush is a rasict..

at least he can spell correctly

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
In other news....

The Bush Administration released a statement this morning regarding the pardoning of two convicted moonshiners. The Administration is quoted as saying,

"Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born

Staightnin' the curves
Flatnin the hills
Someday the mountain might get 'em
But the law never will

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the law will allow.

Makin' their way
Than the law will allow."
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaawww!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll bet their family was pleased with the decision.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In other news....

The Bush Administration released a statement this morning regarding the pardoning of two convicted moonshiners. The Administration is quoted as saying,

"Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born

Staightnin' the curves
Flatnin the hills
Someday the mountain might get 'em
But the law never will

Makin' their way
Than the law will allow.

Makin' their way
Than the law will allow."

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
This is great news for those guys! Now they can legally place a single shot shotgun and an ol' 30-30 in their gun rack in the rear window of their pickup trucks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top