Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would have gathered up my gear and family, moved out and tried another way out.

You're choice.  Somehow I'm skeptical that it's a truthful answer.

What would you call somebody who stole all the food and water from 200 disaster victims at gunpoint?

I mean armed robbery really doesn't describe it.  A better description might me attempted mass murder.  If someone died, it would be capital murder in Texas.  Death penalty and all that.

They got the food and water for 200 people in the back of 1 patrol car?

Doubt it.

I doubt it a whole bunch.

WTF?  They were sharing the little that they had?  Did you read the articles?

If all they had for 200 people could be fit in a patrol car trunk, which, generally
has alot of other stuff in it too, they had enough supplies for about another hour or two.

Besides....It's BS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Since we're having this discussion. Tell me about the people that were turned back because they had no business down there. I find it surprising that someone would go through the effort to get to a city with no services if they had no business.

Did anyone say "My house is there and I want to check on it?" and were they turned away?
Did anyone say "My business is there and I want to check on it?" and were they turned away for having no business there?
Did anyone say "My family member is there and I want to check on them?" and were they turned away?

As a matter of fact, yes.  That's exactly what they were doing.

Oh, and, if you don't think that wasn't happening, you're painfully ignorant of what the
real situation was like down there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would have gathered up my gear and family, moved out and tried another way out.

You're choice.  Somehow I'm skeptical that it's a truthful answer.

What would you call somebody who stole all the food and water from 200 disaster victims at gunpoint?

I mean armed robbery really doesn't describe it.  A better description might me attempted mass murder.  If someone died, it would be capital murder in Texas.  Death penalty and all that.

Too funny.

Kinda wondering which part is funny???

It's funny because I don't believe anyone took food and water by gun point from those people.

Really?  Because there are at least 4 witnesses.  At least 2 of which are EMS paramedics.  You know, the kind of people that help other people in need, save lives, and that provide a valuable service to the community?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What do you think would happen a shootout  with the cops?

I think you should think about the fact that if that did happen there might have been a legally justified shootout with the cops.  And people die in shootouts.  Police are far from winning 100% of shootouts.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If all they had for 200 people could be fit in a patrol car trunk, which, generally
has alot of other stuff in it too, they had enough supplies for about another hour or two.

That's pretty good, care to give a detailed breakdown at how you arrived at that figure?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty good, care to give a detailed breakdown at how you arrived at that figure?

Common sense.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Since we're having this discussion. Tell me about the people that were turned back because they had no business down there. I find it surprising that someone would go through the effort to get to a city with no services if they had no business.

Did anyone say "My house is there and I want to check on it?" and were they turned away?
Did anyone say "My business is there and I want to check on it?" and were they turned away for having no business there?
Did anyone say "My family member is there and I want to check on them?" and were they turned away?

Oh, and, if you don't think that wasn't happening, you're painfully ignorant of what the

Well you sure don't want people taking care of themselves. Then we wouldn't have this dependent society that needs to be locked down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you should think about the fact that if that did happen there might have been a legally justified shootout with the cops.  And people die in shootouts.  Police are far from winning 100% of shootouts.  

Go ahead try it. I have a feeling if you actually survive, you will become well acquainted with Leroy over at Angola.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every person requires a gallon of water per day to survive. I really doubt some cop loaded up 1400 lbs water in the back of his patrol car. Oh, and that just enough to supply 200 people for one day.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#10]
And we all can trust what Ed Bradley tells us now can't we?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#11]
We wouldn't be having this discussion if the city .gov of NO or LA had adhered to their own hurricaine plan.  

I wonder what the discussion would be like if the official police dept of Gretna had not been involved and it was "vigilantes" or "private citizens" stopping the traffic on the bridge, from both sides of the debate.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Actually this was reported in many news sources well before Bradley's report.

Goonboss posted:

Hmm...Guess when I crossed the HPL bridge on 1 september into NOLA, I had pontoons on my vehicle

I didn't say that.  I said it was flooded BETWEEN the downtown area and the HPL.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I went back and read the main article. It is so full of crap. Their encampment was on the NO side of the bridge not the Gretna side. It was at the O'Keefe exit, NOPD territory.

They can't keep their stories straight from one article to the next.

ETA: It was also the main area of the helicopters coming in and out of the superdome. No wonder their shelters were blown away.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Goonboss posted:

Hmm...Guess when I crossed the HPL bridge on 1 september into NOLA, I had pontoons on my vehicle

I didn't say that.  I said it was flooded BETWEEN the downtown area and the HPL.

Where was it flooded along that route? That is the route we took everyday to get into the city and I never saw any flooding.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, and Gretna PD stationed officers at the top of the bridge and came INTO New Orleans driving the people back.

This shows flood levels, click on a spot on the map to find the water depth during the flooding.

mapper.cctechnol.com/floodmap.php

So, how did you get downtown from the Huey P Long?  Earhart?  Claiborne?  The flood map above shows 4'-7' of water.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you sure don't want people taking care of themselves. Then we wouldn't have this dependent society that needs to be locked down.

If they had taken care of themselves they wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]
OK, anyone who believes 60 minutes stories is living in fantasy land. I know some of what happened from Gretna officers. I work on the other side of the bridge. Gretna officers learned people had crossed the bridge when a shopping mall was looted and partially burned. Officers responded and found mobs of people coming off of the bridge. They said they were told buses would pick them up there. The officers started to send them back when people in the crowd began to shout "Let's rush them", some warning shots were fired to gain control of the situation. After they crowd was pushed back, roadblocks were set up to stop the crowds from crossing. While manning these posts, people on the ground shot at the officers from time to time.
The area of the Convention Center where the crowd came from was not flooded. They were safe there. No municipality in the area had water. All of the water was considered contaminated.
Some people who didn't evacuate, looted almost every business in several areas and began to loot homes. It wasn't for food or water either. The crowd was not all bad but there were some who were raping and killing at the CoventionCenter. When news got out of this behavior, most other parishes and cities denied access into or through their areas. Even exits on I-55 in Mississippi had road blocks. You could get off at the exit, but if you didn't live there, you had to get right back on the interstate, no stopping for anything.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every person requires a gallon of water per day to survive. I really doubt some cop loaded up 1400 lbs water in the back of his patrol car. Oh, and that just enough to supply 200 people for one day.

One gallon of water per person can extend life for a day under hot conditions.  But how much water you need depends on several conditions.  Exertion (like being forced to move off a bridge... will increase the amount of water required to survive).  Children and the sick will die first without water.  

Let me get this straight, you're arguing that taking what water they had wouldn't have hurt the hurricane victims?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goonboss posted:

Where was it flooded along that route? That is the route we took everyday to get into the city and I never saw any flooding.

Bridge City wasn't flooded.

Westwego wasn't flooded.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go ahead try it. I have a feeling if you actually survive, you will become well acquainted with Leroy over at Angola.

So that's your plan then?  If Hurricane victims resist having their water stolen... you just kill them... or if they survive you set them up in prison?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One gallon of water per person can extend life for a day under hot conditions.  But how much water you need depends on several conditions.  Exertion (like being forced to move off a bridge... will increase the amount of water required to survive).  Children and the sick will die first without water.  

Let me get this straight, you're arguing that taking what water they had wouldn't have hurt the hurricane victims?

Are you really that dense? I was stating there is no way some cop loaded up 1400lbs of water and put it in his patrol car.

Did you read the articles? Closely? They are full of holes and contradictions between their own statements.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So that's your plan then?  If Hurricane victims resist having their water stolen... you just kill them... or if they survive you set them up in prison?

How old are you? Can you read and understand what you read?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goonboss posted:

Bridge City wasn't flooded.

Westwego wasn't flooded.

That's the way I remember it. Along with the route from Kenner to HPL was not flooded.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#24]
While I sympathize with not wanting refugees in your town, blocking an exit out of a disaster area is the worst sort of criminality.  There is no way I'd allow myself to be bottled up in a disaster area like that.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm old enough to get it,  I expose you and you attack me personally.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expose me? What, for pointing out that if someone had shot at the cops, then cops most likely would have killed the shooter? Or if the shooter survived that you would not be sitting in the gray bar hotel?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
While I sympathize with not wanting refugees in your town, blocking an exit out of a disaster area is the worst sort of criminality.  There is no way I'd allow myself to be bottled up in a disaster area like that.

I venture to say if you lived in an area below sealevel, and, a hurricane was coming, you'd have sense enough to leave when you were supposed to.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Are you really that dense? I was stating there is no way some cop loaded up 1400lbs of water and put it in his patrol car.

Actually I'm smart enough to know that an average police cruiser like a crown victoria was made to seat 6.  Five passengers is like 1000lbs right there.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I venture to say if you lived in an area below sealevel, and, a hurricane was coming, you'd have sense enough to leave when you were supposed to.

I would.  But there can be no doubt that SOME of those who stayed were tourists or others who legitimately couldn't get out.  Also, not all disasters have 5 day warnings.  A T5 in downtown Dallas would have much the same effect, and if Plano decided it didn't want refugee leaving via 75, well, lets just say I wouldn't take no for an answer.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing you exposed was your own lack of sense to believe what you are spoon fed by the MSM without stopping to consider the source.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Tough choices to be made....glad at least someone, had the balls to do it.

Plus, there were whites in those groups too........equal opportunity denial of entry.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expose me? What, for pointing out that if someone had shot at the cops, then cops most likely would have killed the shooter? Or if the shooter survived that you would not be sitting in the gray bar hotel?

Yes.  You see somebody who was interested in saving lives (like the lives of citizens and police) would think that they don't want to put citizens in a position where the citizens might be forced to legally use deadly force against the police.  They would think that having senseless shootouts is a bad thing for citizens and police.  They would be willing to negotiate with people to avoid violence.  

While a JBT would say "Go ahead try it hurricane victim.  I maybe killing you from thirst, but if you resist me and my superior authority you will die.  I have a feeling if you actually survive, you will become well acquainted with Leroy over at Angola."

You didn't say that, but you were much closer to one side than the other.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would.  But there can be no doubt that SOME of those who stayed were tourists or others who legitimately couldn't get out.  Also, not all disasters have 5 day warnings.  A T5 in downtown Dallas would have much the same effect, and if Plano decided it didn't want refugee leaving via 75, well, lets just say I wouldn't take no for an answer.  

It wasnt' like they shut it down before the hurricane, or without cause.  It happened days after the hurricane.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#34]
This discussion about the people's water being taken is pointless. I don't believe it happened. It was thrown into the story for sensationalism. The Gretna officers had no reason to take the water. They had access to food and water.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  You see somebody who was interested in saving lives (like the lives of citizens and police) would think that they don't want to put citizens in a position where the citizens might be forced to legally use deadly force against the police.  They would think that having senseless shootouts is a bad thing for citizens and police.  They would be willing to negotiate with people to avoid violence.  

While a JBT would say "Go ahead try it hurricane victim.  I maybe killing you from thirst, but if you resist me and my superior authority you will die.  I have a feeling if you actually survive, you will become well acquainted with Leroy over at Angola."

Might want to check out the medicine cabinet and take your meds.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Might want to check out the medicine cabinet and take your meds.

These personal attacks remind me of liberal tactics.

I made my point.

Since you're not going to deny the logic, and I don't hang out with JBTs, I think I'll go do something better with my time.  

Good Day
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This discussion about the people's water being taken is pointless. I don't believe it happened. It was thrown into the story for sensationalism. The Gretna officers had no reason to take the water. They had access to food and water.

And if it did happen, I bet we find out it was only a 6 pack of 1/2 liter water bottles...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
There were many reports of the poor victims "freely traveling" into people's
homes to take thier stuff.

Aw, hell, Goonboos, they're still doing it in Texas.  Only difference is we're not letting them get away with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

All right then how about this:  they don't want to put citizens in a position where the citizens might be forced to legally use deadly force against the police.

If you think that the situation they were in would even come close to a legal use of force then you may want to reconsider ever owning firearms.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There were many reports of the poor victims "freely traveling" into people's
homes to take thier stuff.

Aw, hell, Goonboos, they're still doing it in Texas.  Only difference is we're not letting them get away with it.

We don't have many refugees in our neck of the woods.  Thank god.

We have some, but, haen't really had any problems.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
These personal attacks remind me of liberal tactics.

I made my point.

Since you're not going to deny the logic, and I don't hang out with JBTs, I think I'll go do something better with my time.  

Good Day

R_S, I've been trying to read what you are saying and there is no logic to it.  What you are saying is completely disjointed.  It makes no sense.  It's like saying, "The sky is blue, subsequently cow."  No sense whatsoever.

The police didn't take anyone's supplies, except as far as stuff had been abandoned and was impeding progress of emergency relief heading into and out of New Orleans.

The two paramedics in the article are known socialists.  You can investigate it yourself.  They are famous for supporting socialist causes and working to discredit police agencies on the West Coast.

There was no escape by going into Gretna.  There was no route of escape that was cut off.  There was nowhere to go.  The greater harm would be to endlessly send people wandering around all over hell and half of Louisiana trying to find a place to go when the relief efforts were being directed to where the displaced persons were supposed to be.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you're making zero sense and 60 Minutes is about as valid of a source of news as Pravda or TASS back in the good ole Soviet Union.

The Government has a responsibility to preserve order.  They were attempting to do so.  Thousands of refugees gaggling at random through a disaster area is a recipe for further disaster.

To be quite frank, I don't believe much of anything in that article, given the sources.  If you can find a legitimate source, we can talk.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
We don't have many refugees in our neck of the woods.  Thank god.
We have some, but, haen't really had any problems.

We only have about 250 in Williamson County, but if they cause any problems, well, Williamson County is known for all hell breaking loose when there's disorder at all.

Austin, they got a bunch, running around robbing banks and restaurants.  Houston's had some murders and the like.  Where my parents live up in Shreveport, they've had plenty of problems, too.

I need to be farther out in the country.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bama wouldn't have been in that situation because he's got half a brain.

I'm sure most of us would avoid ever being in that situation.

But I could imagine situations with no advanced warning where even ARFCOM members might be in such a situation.  Say terrorists nuke your city or something.  

Just cause you would avoid the situation, doesn't mean its not a valid question.

Terrorists don't give 3 days warning.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#44]
It is refreshing to see law enforcement actually do something I pay them for. For a change.
I applaud them and it is no surprise that the socialists are having a cow over it. Fuck them.

We had a mass of retards come up here a couple of years ago. They call themselves Rainbow People. Bunch of loser hippy anarchist types who can't hold a job. About 30,000 of them came into the area and stirred up shit. Drugs, theft, they'd go enmasse into the local stores and shoplift.

Cops here took care of business very well IMO.
Very happy with how they handled things.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
1. 200 gallons of water weighs 1669 pounds. It occupies about 27 cubic feet  - a cubic yard - of space.

2. There was nothing for those people in Gretna that wasn't available in NO, except additional stuff to steal. Gretna was hit by the storm, too. It was not a place of refuge or refreshment. There is no indication that there was surplus food, water, or shelter in Gretna.

3. The post-storm behavior of the people of NO, including New Orleans' "Finest," wasn't a real confidence booster.

4. As to the marginally coherent comment about the dependent population of NO, bear in mind that the welfare system was not created or administered by the property owners of Gretna or the Gretna PD, nor did the property owners of Gretna or the Gretna PD bungle the relief effort in NO.

Admitting the crowd to Gretna would have afforded no discernable benefit to the crowd, while exposing the people of Gretna and their property to enhanced risk. The Gretna police were doing their job, and if I were a citizen of Gretna I'd probably be raising money to put a statue of him on the courthouse square next to the Confederate soldier.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I got to hand it to the GPD, they are a small force and were able to keep them out.  That was one hell of a job - well done!

You want to blame some one, blam Mayor Ray Nagin and Gov. Kathleen Blanko.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top