Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:21:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 7:22:07 AM EDT by SS109]
It is an apocalypse style novel by S. M. Stirling. A giant EMP style pulse hits the entire world knocking out all electrical devices, even cars that weren't running. While scary, it is a conventional plot. But this was a super EMP pulse which also changed the chemical composistion of all gunpowder. It still burned, but not fast enough to actually make cartridges work.

It was scary reading about people throwing down on looters and their guns just going click!

I was having nightmares all night after reading the book.

I wouldn't recommend it to gun guys, but SCA and martial artists will love it since they soon dominate the world.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:23:09 AM EDT
You should read F. Paul Wilson's The Keep if you want to actually be scared!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:23:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 7:25:15 AM EDT by Alien]
An EMP that just conveniently changes the "composition" of propellant for firearms. Rrrrrrright. Convenient plot device. Just make more gun powder or black powder. Hell if Ash could do it in Army of Darkness...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:24:15 AM EDT
Then the super-EMP pulse would also slow down the martial artists' kicks and punches?

I guess crossbow guys would be the new class III.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:26:10 AM EDT
Stirling's books about the island of Nantucket getting thrown back into the Bronze Age was very good. I've heard about this book as well. Looks neat.

Though the idea of gamer-geeks and SCA types ruling the world is scary.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:31:15 AM EDT
To chemically transmute carbon compounds with a nitrate component via radiation pulse that DOESN'T instantly kill all carbon based life forms that also have nitrate and other nitrogen compounds as part of their protein and DNA sequences? And the pulse uniformly penetrates AND interacts with metals?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:35:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jor-el:
To chemically transmute carbon compounds with a nitrate component via radiation pulse that DOESN'T instantly kill all carbon based life forms that also have nitrate and other nitrogen compounds as part of their protein and DNA sequences? And the pulse uniformly penetrates AND interacts with metals?

He is talking about a book. Ya know a work of fiction. It's called suspension of disbelief.

echo6
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:50:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By echo6:

He is talking about a book. Ya know a work of fiction. It's called suspension of disbelief.

echo6

Oh. You mean like people that can fly "faster than a speeding bullet"? "More powerful than a locomotive"? "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"? With laser beams from their eyes and able to eat atom bombs for breakfast?

Naaaahhhhh... don't know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:54:01 AM EDT

Oh. You mean like people that can fly "faster than a speeding bullet"? "More powerful than a locomotive"? "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"? With laser beams from their eyes and able to eat atom bombs for breakfast?

Naaaahhhhh... don't know what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:10:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:50:19 AM EDT
the books are very good (I finished the second in the series a couple of months ago). For those interested, they have sample chapters on SM Stirling's website (smstirling.com).

the nantucket series was very good - a different angle on the "survivalist" mentality.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:53:23 AM EDT
I read the sample. I refuse to believe that dorky SCA'rs would become villains and dominate the world, or that the US army, a force trained to operate in numbers and formations, would be uniformly asskicked.

In any case, my army would kick everyone's ass. How? Compressed air. It's everywhere. We'd harvest everything from little c02 canisters to big mixed gas tanks. Flamethrowers. Giant spud cannons used as portable ballistas. Paintball guns loaded with OC powder. The fire-extinguisher sized OC devices. The SCA dorks wouldn't have a chance in melee combat or at range.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:54:13 AM EDT
I always love books with totally implausible premises.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:58:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Alien:
An EMP that just conveniently changes the "composition" of propellant for firearms. Rrrrrrright. Convenient plot device. Just make more gun powder or black powder. Hell if Ash could do it in Army of Darkness...

It wasn't a natural occurrence. Something...they don't know who yet...did it TO the Earth, on purpose.
Top Top