Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/22/2005 6:59:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 7:11:24 AM EDT by BigDozer66]
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051222/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_dungy_son

TAMPA, Fla. - James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment, police said Thursday.

In a news release on its Web site, the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office said it "responded to the Campus Lodge Apartments this morning at approximately 1:32 a.m. The girlfriend of James Dungy had returned to the apartment and discovered Dungy."

Police performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No foul play is suspected, but a cause of death won't announced pending an autopsy, said Vida Morgan, a secretary in the sheriff's public information office. The apartments are located in Lutz, Fla.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, according to NFL.com.

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan.

The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday.

Fans posted prayers and messages of support for Dungy, who also coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, on a message board on a Colts fan Web site.

"Not only was he a great football coach for the Bucs, but he is an even better person," one Tampa Bay fan wrote. "It makes me sick that it happened at this time of year to a person that is so giving and caring."

Another person wrote for God to give strength to Dungy during this difficult time.

"When things like this happen it adjusts our perspective on life," one person wrote. "What was considered major yesterday doesn't amount to more than a footnote today."

Prayers will be sent for him and the family during this tragic loss.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:01:45 AM EDT

If they win the Super Bowl it will not matter to Tony.

Very sad.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:03:31 AM EDT
Wow....my sympathies go out to the Dungy family.

th­is is a terrible, terrible, terrible thing to say.....but I wonder what this does to the line on the Seahawks game. (amazingly, Seattle was already an 8 pt favorite)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:06:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

th­is is a terrible, terrible, terrible thing to say.....but I wonder what this does to the line on the Seahawks game. (amazingly, Seattle was already an 8 pt favorite)

I think many believe that Coach Dungy will be/would have been benching some of the big guns since they don't need to win any more and the 16-0 perfect season is already gone.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:08:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:

I think many believe that Coach Dungy will be/would have been benching some of the big guns since they don't need to win any more and the 16-0 perfect season is already gone.

BigDozer66

I agree....but now they might "play for the coach"

The seahawks by a TD is unrealistic if that is the case.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:10:32 AM EDT

this is a terrible, terrible, terrible thing to say.....but I wonder what this does to the line on the Seahawks game. (amazingly, Seattle was already an 8 pt favorite)

BigDozer66

I agree....but now they might "play for the coach"

The seahawks by a TD is unrealistic if that is the case.

That is a strong possibility!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:11:09 AM EDT
The word here in the Tampa area is that the son killed himself. Selfish, stupid thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:12:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
The word here in the Tampa area is that the son killed himself. Selfish, stupid thing to do.

That is sad to hear.

We will know the cause before long.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:37:25 AM EDT
Every news outlet has the same story 'cut and pasted' on the site.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:41:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 7:43:29 AM EDT by kill-9]
Oh, man, that's just horrible. Dungy seems like a real stand-up guy...I hate hearing about bad things happening to good people, especially at Christmas time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:17:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:20:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:24:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kissfan:
Dungy son's "My Space" site... CAUTION - STRONG ADULT GRAPHICS/WORDS

Well it is obvious that he didn't take after his dad.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:26:41 PM EDT

BigDozer66

+1

Who says all that rap nonsense doesn't influence kids?

Shame for his dad, hope the rest of the family turns out better.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:29:22 PM EDT
His heros are the Belt-way snipers, Malcom X.....yeah, he will be missed. Say hello to Tupac boy!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:30:03 PM EDT
nice site
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:30:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Selfish, stupid thing to do.

Yep
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:31:22 PM EDT
Damn...too bad for Tony. Son looked like he might have had a few issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:32:37 PM EDT

Dungy's 18-year-old son found dead
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
TRAVIS REED / Associated Press
Posted: 52 minutes ago

LUTZ, Fla - James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in his Tampa-area apartment early Thursday, the sheriff's office said.

No foul play is suspected, but a cause of death won't be announced pending an autopsy, said Hillsborough County sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter.

James Dungy, (r.) the late son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, walked the RCA Dome sideline on Oct. 3. (Indianapolis Star, Matt Kryger / Associated Press)

James Dungy's girlfriend found him when she returned to the Campus Lodge Apartments at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday, Carter said.

He wasn't breathing, and a sheriff's deputy performed CPR before an ambulance rushed him to University Community Hospital, Carter said. He was pronounced dead there.

Carter said "nothing evident" was amiss in the apartment, but declined to discuss details.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, where he coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001. The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday, and team president Bill Polian said that assistant head coach Jim Caldwell has taken over for Dungy.

Indianapolis lost its first game Sunday against the visiting San Diego Chargers, ending what had been a perfect season.

"The thoughts and prayers of everyone in this building are with Tony and (wife) Lauren, their children and their extended family, and for the repose of James' soul," Polian said at a news conference at the Colts' training facility in Indianapolis. "This is a tragedy for the Dungy family and by extension his football family here with the Colts."

Owner Jim Irsay and Polian met with team officials and players to break the news.

"It was not easy, and it was somber, to say the least," Polian said.

Caldwell will take over "for however long Tony will be away and however long he will be away is entirely up to him," Polian added.

Chaplains were brought in to talk with the team.

"I don't think there's anyone here that would wish to play a football game under these circumstances, but it's our obligation and we'll fulfill that obligation because that's what Tony wants us to do," Polian said.

The Dungys have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan. James, their second-oldest child, was taking extension classes at the University of South Florida, Morgan said.

Jessica James, 18, a senior at Gaither High School in the northern suburbs of Tampa was a close friend of James Dungy. Dungy attended Gaither until his junior year, when he moved to Indiana.

She said the last time she had seen him was Monday night when a group of friends went to the movies.

"He was cracking jokes, just being himself. This morning, it was so surreal," when she heard news reports of his death. She added that she never detected anything troubling him that night.

She said Dungy "was just a really good kid, very laid back. Unless you asked him, you'd never know he was Tony Dungy's son."

She said the worked one summer together at a YMCA camp and the children "absolutely loved him."

James Dungy spent his senior year at North Central High School in Indianapolis and graduated this year. C.E. Quandt, the school's principal, said Dungy was a personable student who never flaunted his father's position.

"He just came in and tried to blend in and be a student," Quandt said. "I liked James a lot."

Quandt said Dungy visited North Central a week or two ago to pick up a transcript. He said the death surprised and saddened everyone at the school.

"It kind of diminishes our school family," he said.

A woman who answered the door at James Dungy's girlfriend's home declined comment Thursday.

James stood 6-foot-7 and was sometimes was mistaken for one of his father's players, The Indianapolis Star reported on its Web site. James and his younger brother, Eric, sometimes watched Colts games from the sidelines, but they had to earn it by doing well in school.

The mood was also somber at the Buccaneers' practice facility Thursday, which is next to the airport where the Colts' plane that brought Tony Dungy to Florida was parked for a time. Players and coaches could see it from the field.

James Dungy was a frequent visitor to the Bucs' practices and games when his dad coached the team.

"He was here all the time, hanging out in the locker room and with the players on the field," fullback Mike Alstott said. "If James wasn't here, it was like: `Where's James?' He was part of this football team.

"There's no words to describe it. I'm a father of three and I can't imagine getting a phone call or being told that."

"I really don't know what to say. All I can say is we're praying for him," said Jon Gruden, his successor as Bucs coach. "It's just awful. ... I just can't imagine it."

New York Jets coach Herman Edwards, one of Dungy's closest friends, called James a "very, very good kid.

"The whole family is good people. You know Tony, how he raised a family," Edwards said from Jets training camp in Hempstead, N.Y. "A tragedy. I know the prayers of the National Football League go out to him and his family."

Dungy took over as coach of the Colts in 2002. He was an assistant with the Minnesota Vikings from 1992 to 1995.

Two other NFL head coaches lost close family members this season, both in November. Don Parcells, brother of Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, died of brain cancer in New Jersey at age 62; Steve Belichick, father of New England Patriots' coach Bill Belichick, died at 86.

Associated Press Writers Mitch Stacy in Tampa and Cliff Brunt in Indianapolis and AP Sports Writer Andrea Adelson in New York contributed to this report.

sure sounds like a suicide. Too bad for Tony, he is a great coach I would think his kid would have turned out better than that
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:34:27 PM EDT
After looking at 'hiz' site I could care less what happened to him.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:37:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 10mmFan:
His heros are the Belt-way snipers, Malcom X.....yeah, he will be missed. Say hello to Tupac boy!!!

"the D.C. Snipers, cause they let ya'll crackas kno tha ya'll aren't carzy race in the world, plus nobody would ever guess tha they were black (i thought they were white). Malcolm X, and the Black Panthers. oh yea say werd my nigga Pac, and in case ya'll didn't kno he is alive and i've seen visual footage ..."

Seems like a kid that had his shit together. I can't believe he did this to himself.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:38:44 PM EDT
I felt bad for tony till i saw his sons site-now i feel really bad
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:41:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rick16:
I felt bad for tony till i saw his sons site-now i feel really bad

+1 for Tony
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:41:34 PM EDT
pimpin ain't ez, yo

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 12:43:02 PM EDT by tReznr]

From his myspace webpage:

My heroes: the D.C. Snipers, cause they let ya'll crackas kno tha ya'll aren't carzy race in the world, plus nobody would ever guess tha they were black (i thought they were white). Malcolm X, and the Black Panthers. oh yea say werd my nigga Pac, and in case ya'll didn't kno he is alive and i've seen visual footage
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:42:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:

BigDozer66

+1

Rap doesn't influence kids negatively as long as they've been raised properly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:44:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:47:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jasondcrum:
After looking at 'hiz' site I could care less what happened to him.

I don't care what happened to him but I feel bad for the coach and his family. It looks like they lost this son a long time ago.

Prayers to the family.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:52:20 PM EDT
Indystar website has quotes from two named police sources in Tampa area that say he commited suicide.

Even if the kid was a douche bag, prayers for the family.
He leaves behind four sibilings,1 in college, 1 in middle school, 1 in kindergarten and one in preschool.

What a selfish act, Christmas will never be the same for any of them
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:54:20 PM EDT
The kid was probably a born athlete who pissed (and smoked) away his potential..

looking at his "blog", now he's just one less punk the general population has to worry about
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:57:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By walrus:

BigDozer66

+1

Well the positive, uplifting message of rap failed. ("I'm gonna get a job, raise a family, I gonna shoot my way, to a PhD, yo!")

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:00:25 PM EDT

BigDozer66

+1

Well the positive, uplifting message of rap failed. ("I'm gonna get a job, raise a family, I gonna shoot my way, to a PhD, yo!")

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:06:42 PM EDT

BigDozer66

+1

I listen to rap all the time because I like the music. I don't try to act like a rapper in any form whatsoever. It's all about ones upbringing. Blaming rap for the kid's actions is just a way to mask the failure of the parents.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:17:45 PM EDT
one less scumbag. yo.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:35:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tReznr:

From his myspace webpage:

My heroes: the D.C. Snipers, cause they let ya'll crackas kno tha ya'll aren't carzy race in the world, plus nobody would ever guess tha they were black (i thought they were white). Malcolm X, and the Black Panthers. oh yea say werd my nigga Pac, and in case ya'll didn't kno he is alive and i've seen visual footage

Wow.
No great loss then.
I have to learn not to feel sympathy for people until they prove their worth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:09:35 PM EDT
I bet that kid had some type of mental retardation. seriously.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:20:26 PM EDT

The site has been taken down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:24:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By retrainthechimp:
I bet that kid had some type of mental retardation. seriously.

Na, just a rich kid with everything and the ghetto lifestyle finally got to him.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:33:45 PM EDT
I didn't get a chance to see the site, can somebody give me the jist of it. I would apreciate it.

thanks
randy
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:35:29 PM EDT
Site taken down eh? So now the major media will be free to make this pus-bag the next MLK. Burn baby burn, and say hello to Tupac and Tookie!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:41:01 PM EDT
The family is from the town I grew up in and they were well respected and liked. The grandparents were very good to the down and out people and they lived in what you could call the ghetto. I would not blame the parents for how JR. turned out. A parent can only do so much, and after that.......well, life takes over, or in his case, death.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:42:15 PM EDT
This is in bad taste, deal with it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:43:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PinePig:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GreaserChris/dungyowned.jpg

Ummm...ooooookkkkkkk..
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:43:28 PM EDT
That is true fx. Sometimes no matter what the parents do a kid will go to hell in a hand basket. In their genes or something.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:20:29 PM EDT
From everything I have ever heard Tony Dungy is a hell of a father. He makes parenting a priority for his team.

shitty situation all around. Unfortuantely it happens all too often
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:24:37 PM EDT

please let us know when your _____ offs themself
very stupid
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:26:26 PM EDT

You're about to see something funny.
Adios Asshole
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:29:35 PM EDT
I'm gonna get banned for poor taste, man this site won't have anyone left.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:32:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:

Adios Asshole

Why?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 4:36:27 PM EDT by Waynegro]

That crosses the line. I hope you are banned for that tasteless picture you created. Banning you would be the best Christmas present AR15.com could give it's board members.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:38:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:

Adios Asshole

Is'nt calling me an asshole a direct violation of the COC.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top