BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 5:30:06 AM EDT
He's gonna blow the UK off the map!

Sixth-former found with bomb chemicals
By Nigel Bunyan
(Filed: 22/12/2005)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/22/nexplode22.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_22122005

An "eccentric" sixth-former with a fascination for chemistry sparked a full-scale alert yesterday after police found a cache of bomb-making chemicals in his bedroom.

About 40 people were evacuated from their homes as an Army bomb disposal team moved into the former mill town of Haslingden, Lancs, and carried out four controlled explosions.

A policeman guards the rear of the house in Haslingden, Lancs

By then their neighbour, Joe Buckley, 17, had been arrested and taken to Burnley police station for questioning.

Last night, as search teams continued their work both inside his parents' terraced house and in the back yard, he was still being held.

The main thrust of the investigation is to discover where he acquired the chemicals and whether he intended to make and to use a bomb.

Depending on their assessment, and the judgment of the Crown Prosecution Service, the teenager could either be given a caution or face serious criminal charges.

Police first moved into 22 Grane Street at about 4.30pm on Tuesday, having been alerted to Joe's odd behaviour by an anonymous letter.

The chemicals they found in the teenager's bedroom so alarmed them that they called in the army and a 100-yard cordon was thrown around the house.

Bomb disposal officers in masks and hooded white boiler suits carried quantities of chemicals from the house and placed them against a wall in the back yard.

The first of four controlled explosions was carried out shortly before midnight. Others followed at 12.15am, 1.25am and 1.45am.

Yesterday afternoon a team of four forensic scientists moved into the house, carrying out a number of items in small containers.

Scientists were continuing to carry out laboratory tests on some of the chemicals found.

An officer involved in the investigation confirmed that Joe had initially been treated as a suspected terrorist but it was found that he had no links with terrorists.

The officer added: "At the end of the day it's possible that we will not find anything overly criminal. But it's odd to say the least that you should have chemicals capable of causing an explosion in your bedroom.

"He is something of an eccentric 17-year-old youth, presented to us as an A-star student. What his ultimate motives were, or what he was planning, we just do not know at the moment."

Detectives were asking staff at Bacup and Rawtenstall Sixth Form College, where Joe is doing his A levels, to help them build up a picture of him.

His mother, Barbara Cowley, 51, a teaching assistant at a local primary school, has also been helping.

Joe lives with his mother and stepfather, Andrew Cowley, a care worker. A stepsister also lives at the house.

Joe is understood to have achieved near-perfect GCSE results at Haslingden High School before continuing his education in Bacup.

A near-neighbour, Colin Webb, 55, who was evacuated from his home at about 7pm, said yesterday: "It's all very strange because of the events of the last six months.

"All sorts of ideas come into your mind initially, especially when there are phrases like 'explosive device' being bandied about."

Mr Webb, who spent the night at his son's house, added: "They are a very nice family. We've known them for about 20 years and exchange Christmas cards with them."

A teenager who plays football with Joe said: "He keeps himself pretty much to himself. He's not the sort to go looking for trouble."

Supt Neil Smith said: "Local officers came to the address to execute a search warrant as a result of information we had received.

"During the search they found some suspicious materials thought to be explosives. As a precaution we called in the Army.

"We are not treating this as a terrorist incident. We believe the youth arrested is more like an over-enthusiastic chemistry student."

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been saying it for a long time.

EVERYONE here could be arrested for having "bomb making components" in their house.

Heck, I would imagine most could be arrested for having drug making components.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Rather I say, how positively roguish!

snort!  tortle!  snort
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a cop buddy point out that I have both black powder and galvanized pipe in my house. I could be made to look pretty bad on the cover of USA Today.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been saying it for a long time.

EVERYONE here could be arrested for having "bomb making components" in their house.

Heck, I would imagine most could be arrested for having drug making components.

When I think of all the "bomb-making components" I had as a kid, and still have....

Well, somebody could think they are for bombs, even though it would never occur to me to do something like that...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had a cop buddy point out that I have both black powder and galvanized pipe in my house. I could be made to look pretty bad on the cover of USA Today.

Interesting, how some cops see the world, isn't it?

"All civilians will eventually commit some crime. It's just a matter of time."
- --our old CLEO in our town, who believed nobody, except "his boys", should have guns...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
My Gilbert Chemistry set circa 1950's would probably get me investigated too.  This is screwed up!  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...When I think of all the "bomb-making components" I had as a kid, and still have....

When I was a kid we got a copy of Abby Hoffman's Anarchist's Cookbook, and we made all that stuff and set it off in the woods. Someone called the cops on us once and we got chased. Nowadays, they would have brought in the FBI and locked us up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure most of us have chemicals under our sinks and in our garages right now that if you mixed them properly, you could create a bomb of some kind.  Pretty much everyone has "bomb-making componants".  A totally meaningless phrase, if ever I heard one.  Call me back when he has a "bomb".
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...When I think of all the "bomb-making components" I had as a kid, and still have....

When I was a kid we got a copy of Abby Hoffman's Anarchist's Cookbook, and we made all that stuff and set it off in the woods. Someone called the cops on us once and we got chased. Nowadays, they would have brought in the FBI and locked us up.

I still have an original copy of Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book", w/much the same info on bleach bombs, homemade napalm, etc. We used some of the info to make a device to blow up an island in the middle of a reservoir in our town in the 1970s. When the smoke cleared, there was no more island.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
so lets see....  someone who has a hobby of shooting black powder rifles will have a substantial amount of black powder.

and then that person is running a water line, so they buy some PVC pipe.

OH MY GOD!!! SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#12]

The first of four controlled explosions was carried out shortly before midnight. Others followed at 12.15am, 1.25am and 1.45am.

Couldn't wait til morning I guess.  Maybe they thought it was the 4th of July...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I blew things up when I was a kid, all good clean fun, and I still have all my fingers.

ANdy

Like Pugsley on The Addams Family, did you use to play with blasting caps in the attic?

Gee, papa, I blew up your train set again....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Couldn't wait til morning I guess.  Maybe they thought it was the 4th of July...

Ummm....probably not. That would be celebrating the declaration of OUR independence from them, in which we did so by beating them in a war. Not bloody likely.

Maybe Guy Fawkes Day?
(Gunpowder Plot to blow up Parliament, celebrated on November 5th.)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was 8 years old my parents got me a chemistry set. There was a recipe entitled "mortar". I thought it was propellant for the artillary piece. So I mixed it up, put it in a can, and tried to light it out of a pipe. My dad caught me and explained while laughing that mortar was used to hold bricks together. Then I got in trouble for playing with matches, and trying to "mortar" the neighbor's house.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Any one have flour at your house? You have bomb making material. A five pound flour bomb can make a big explosion. They need to bust all the grandmothers baking thing for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#17]
The world is going mad.
Either that, or they really are just clamping down to ensure that the NWO takover goes smoothly.

I tend towards the "going mad" theory myself -- saw an item in the newspaper recently about a school being evacuated and hazmat team called in - because someone dropped (and broke) a mercury thermometer ?!?!?! Then there was the school that was again closed while a hazmat team dealt with -- red phosphorus (!) -- found in a chemistry lab store cupboard.

I hate to think what would have happened to me if the same lunatics were in power when I was at school (in England). I used to make bombs all the time. They mostly didn't work particularly well, but some did. I remember making up a "black powder" cannon, I was worried that it would make enough noise to annoy the neighbors, so decided to make up a "silencer" to try to muffle it a bit.
Loaded it up, fitted the silencer, fixed it in the vice in the garden shed, attached a bit of fuse, lit it and ran out --- there was a HUGE bang, and neighbors did come out to look around. I just stood there innocently looking around for the source of the noise, trying to ignore the cloud of smoke escaping from the shed open window. It was fortunate that I had left, the "silencer" was shredded, and bits of it were all over the place.

A few years later, I was telling my dad about this, so he told me his story: He lived in the same house as a kid. During the war (WWII) he and his friends used to scout around after an air-raid and find all sorts of goodies - one time they found an un-fired shell from a fighter cannon - a 1" shell, probably ejected after a misfire. They took it home and pulled the "bullet"out, and replaced it with a wooden plug with a hole through it, and a fuse poked through that into the propellant. They propped it up with some bricks behind the house, lit the fuse, and waited to see how high the wooden plug would go. There was an almighty bang, and they ran indoors ... then came back out and started looking innocently around, like all the rest of the street, and didn't understand why everyone was looking at them. Until they looked up and saw the big, blue, perfectly formed smoke ring hanging over the house...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Boys will be boys.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#19]
A stepsister also lives at the house.

Wanna make any bets as to the source of the "anonymous letter"???
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Anybody remember Jim Wilson (C3/Witness Protection Special shotgun manufacturer)?

He lived in Brunswick, GA. and I went to the same high school he did. Rumor had it he was mixing up a batch of nitroguanadine in one of the chemistry labs and there was an explosion. Luckily no one was killed, but it blew the door off the hinges and broke some windows. Some also say that he lost an eye in the incident, but I was never able to confirm it.

Needless to say he was my idol in high school because he made machineguns and blew up shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#21]
There was a kid in our town, Bob Marceau, a real Poindexter type, looked just like Nap. Dynamite, who blew up his mother's kitchen table with some homemade nitroglycerin. That was in 1970. He didn't go to jail. AFAIK, no cops were ever called. A brilliant guy, later studied chemistry. Go figure.

In the neighboring town, in the mid-1970s, my 2nd cousin Tommy, big football star, very popular, had a very strange friendship with a guy Steven S. (not sure how to -or if I should- spell his last name...), an utter loner who liked to make bombs. People called them, obviously, the "Mad Bombers". Their career came to an end when they blew up a footbridge over a small creek, late at night in the town's park, about 1000' away from the police station. This time the cops sat up and took notice! I asked Tommy about it years later. He just glared at me, as if to say, "STFU- the case is still open..."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top