Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/21/2005 10:05:20 PM EDT
I had to pick my shift and I got last pick so I only had 2 choices.

I normally try to go for a Saturday off, but I hate Sunday off. Also anything late so I dont have to be up before noon or so. I get 5% differential with my new one 1430-2330 with Tues Wed off so its worth that.

I used to pick mine just to avoid one manager who used to be where I work, she would try and write me up for 1 min early back from break and stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:05:59 PM EDT
time off
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:07:27 PM EDT
time off and evening social time
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:18:30 PM EDT
I work either 6pm to 6am or midnight to noon, 7 days a week, until the well is finished. Could be a week, could be a month or more. Oilfield trash.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:21:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zack3g:
I work either 6pm to 6am or midnight to noon, 7 days a week, until the well is finished. Could be a week, could be a month or more. Oilfield trash.

If the money is good. Looking back Id like to trade a few years of just work and get the money out of it. Not like I do much in my time anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:22:18 PM EDT
No choice in the matter. 12 hours a day when working. Usually work 14 days on 14 off...

Or more...

Or less...

If I had a choice I'd probably do 7 on, 14 off
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:23:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

I normally try to go for a Saturday off, but I hate Sunday off. Also anything late so I dont have to be up before noon or so. I get 5% differential with my new one 1430-2330 with Tues Wed off so its worth that.

I used to pick mine just to avoid one manager who used to be where I work, she would try and write me up for 1 min early back from break and stuff.

If you got last pick how did you have two choices?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:25:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

Originally Posted By Taxman:

If you got last pick how did you have two choices?

I technically had 3, they had a few more scheds then people since people could opt for the "float" sched, get a new sched every 2 weeks. not worth the extra money for that to me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:25:31 PM EDT
Working in the dark. That's what I always ask for. Over 5 years now, with no ill effects, and I don't have to deal with as many assholes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:26:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:
Working in the dark. That's what I always ask for. Over 5 years now, with no ill effects, and I don't have to deal with as many assholes.

Work has a policy where you have to be there for so long to work overnights due to limited people,

Next year Im going to try for it. I wont miss the traffic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:52:04 PM EDT
prefer grave yard, want 3-12s, but had to settle for 4-10s, four days and three nights off.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:57:09 PM EDT
We pick by seniority once a year - days nights or afternoons, it's a 12 hour shift so you can pick one of two schedules per shift. one works when the other's off. You know what all the days off are going to be for the year, so it's pretty easy to plan ahead. I opt for midnights usually. More overtime, more cool stuff happening, and less traffic on the roads. Plus being one of the senior guys on the shift, vacation picks are pretty nice, too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:10:45 PM EDT
I have very little control over my work schedule. The full time job rotates days off forward one day a month. We bid for shifts every 6 months and I bid days during the winter and evening shift during the summer so we have someone home during the day with the kids during the summer vacation period. My main part time job I plug in a couple of shifts a week around my main job and my Guard drill schedule. Those shifts are picked two months ahead of time, so I usually find out by the time that work week rolls around that theres a conflict at least part of the time with something going on in my life. The Guard drill schedule I have zero control over obviously, and after 16 years am getting a bit tired of having drill weekend or AT fall EXACTLY on the one day that month when I have some major family event. going on. FY 06 schedule came out and of course this again held true; the first day of AT falls on my brothers wedding. Then there is the OT; I usually have 8-16 hours or so of OT a week.Thats entirely random.
Top Top