Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 7:56:50 PM EDT
I have my Grandfathers' Colt 1911A1 that really needs refinishing and I need help deciding what finish/colors of finish to use.  It's nickel plated right now and it has started to come off and looks like crap.  The choice is further complicated because it has very nice, intricate scrollwork in the slide and frame that needs a finish that will bring it out.  I would also like to replace the factory crap sights with better ones.  Anyone have any ideas which type and colors would look best and last longest?  How about sights?  Anyone know any Smiths in TX that can do the work?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you ought to send it to Yost-Bonitz for some retro sights and some hard chrome. That will bring the engraving right out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, any helpful suggestions then?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think you ought to send it to Yost-Bonitz for some retro sights and some hard chrome. That will bring the engraving right out.

+1

hard chrome, retro sights and scrollwork

like biscuits and gravy!  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK, any helpful suggestions then?

Mine wasn't?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
the biggest problem you have is gettting the nickel plate off...it has to come off before it can be refinished...and from what i understand it doesnt come off easy.....try checkmate refinishing in fla......i dont have a number but they usually advertise in american handgunner magazine......they used to do alot of work for me and it was always perfect.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  I've been told that it will have to be reverse plated to remove the chrome.  Most large refinishing services should be able to take it off.  Any ideas on a new finish/coloring?  No, more nickel is not what I want.  If I wanted a crackhead/pimps pistol I would have a nickel plated Lorcin.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Bill Adair Firearms Restoration

If you want to inquire about high-class refinishing, check the above link.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Says he doesn't do plated guns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Doug Turnbull Restoration?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top