Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:43:43 PM EDT
Wednesday, last week - Doc sends me in for ultra sound
Thursday - Diagnosed with testicular cancer
Friday - orchiectomy/surgery performed
Tuesday - CT scan and blood marker test reveal no obvious spread of cancer, but pathology work determines that the cancer is non-semanomic and most likely had spread to my lymph nodes.

I meet with the Doc tomorrow to determine the date for my RPLND surgery to remove the at risk nodes - a painful and instrusive surgery that will leave an 8 - 9 inch scar on my abdomen.

I am 26 years old, a husband and a father to a 2 year old son. I was supposed to commission into the Army as a helicopter pilot this spring. Now I will be disenrolled from ROTC and I must be cancer free fro two years before I can commission and I don't know if I'll get my slot back as an aviator.

I am still recovering from my surgery on friday and wondering what the future holds.

My family and friends are close and I appreciate their prayers and love, but I can't help but feel discouraged.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 5:45:33 PM EDT by Paul]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 5:47:17 PM EDT by Tostitos]
My heart and prayers go out to you.

You can beat it. No matter what, you can come out victorious and well. Since you're already ahead of the game by being an educated, internet using RKBA supporter, I'm going to rank your odds as being in the "lance" category.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:44 PM EDT
For the benefit of the 20 somthings, tell them how you found it, or why you suspected something (if you even did).

Most don't know that it's a young mans diseaase.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:18 PM EDT
Good luck to you!

As for your flying slot, if you lose your balls you can always join the Air Force. They don't require balls to join them! (morbid humor)

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:22 PM EDT
There are times in life when all you can do is put your head down and go.

Hang in there. I forget who said it, but "Adversity is a good man's shining time."
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:28 PM EDT
Best of luck to you. Keep your spirits up and keep thinking how cool it's gonna be to fly those choppers when this is all behind you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:53 PM EDT
Good luck man. A friend in his 50's had the same thing and hes been cancer free for about 10 years now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:47:35 PM EDT
You'll be in my prayers tonight. They have made some excellent strides in treating cancer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:48:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
For the benefit of the 20 somthings, tell them how you found it, or why you suspected something (if you even did).

Most don't know that it's a young mans diseaase.

I never suspected a thing - I was at the doctor getting checked out for something else and he found it during the "turn your head and cough" test.

Testicular cancer is most prevalent among 19 -35 year olds, yet it accounts for only 1% of all cancer cases.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:48:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Carabinero1979:
My family and friends are close....

This is very important.

Best of luck to you during your recovery.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:49:38 PM EDT
Prayers have been said, I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Cavu
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:49:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Good luck to you!

As for your flying slot, if you lose your balls you can always join the Air Force. They don't require balls to join them! (morbid humor)

I appreciate the joke - I cracked a few of them myself lately.

My favorite is "I'd give my right nut to not have cancer!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:50:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:51:04 PM EDT
A coworker of mine had similar about five years back. Surgery and chemo and now he's doing just fine.

Hang in there!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:51:13 PM EDT
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:51:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Best wishes to you & don't forget to count your blessings. Things could be much worse.

Let's pray they don't get worse. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:52:54 PM EDT
Hang in their, buddy. Diagnosed with cancer (different type) in 1991. Had surgery and been cancer free ever since. Keep the faith.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:54:24 PM EDT
If it makes you feel any better there are several members who have gone through the same thing. One nut CavVet come to mind . But there several others as well. I think it would be helpful to talk to these guys and share experiences. That way you will know what to expect and what to ask.

But good luck and hope things work out. Remember Armstrong beat it as have many others.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:54:35 PM EDT
Good luck, Have a friend that had it about 15 years ago. He's still as big an ass as he was back then...........get it taken care of and don't delay.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:56:54 PM EDT
You and your family will be in my prayers tonight.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:57:12 PM EDT
Prayers on the way bud. All my hopes are with you and your family.

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:59:07 PM EDT
prayers sent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:59:39 PM EDT
That sounds pretty familiar. I was 26 and mine had not spread. I did go through a few weeks of radiation therapy and have the tatoos to prove it! The surgery to remove my testicle was the worst part, the doc hit a blood vessel stitching me up and I bled internally quite a bit. It's been 6 years and all is good now. BTW my nut actually shrunk and I had mild pain, my girlfriend made me go to the doc. If something hurts or is strange, just go! You will be OK.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:00:26 PM EDT
I highly recommend that you read-up as much as possible on this disease and its treatment. You are your own best advocate. Doctors will tend to use jargon that sometimes leaves us non-docs somewhat bewildered. Study-up so you can speak the doctor's lingo regarding this disease. Ask him or her tough questions. Doctors are people like the rest (?) of us and are sometimes reluctant to share tough news.

Know that there are many on your side praying for you. Hang tough; be rational. And keep your sense of humor...sounds like there's no problem there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:01:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:01:31 PM EDT
I know it is hard for me to say it, as I am not in your shoes but you must get it in your head that you can beat it! Stay positive!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:03:38 PM EDT
Same boat here.

Banged in sick to work. Needed to catch up on housework and laundry before the wife got home froma trip. Went to the doc for the "was seen today in our office blah blah blah" note for work. Complained of a "cough." Doc couldn't find anything wrong.(I wonder why?) So he says I'll just do an X-ray.

Finds a tumor in my chest. Follow up tests show chondrosarcoma lesions on my rib and T5 vertebrae. They gotta go. Had the surgery in August. Took the vertebrae, some of the rib and a lot of tissue out. Fifteen hours on the table, 21 liters of IV fluids, and 6 units of blood during the surgery; rods, screws, plates, cage, bone graft, two weeks in the hosp, still out of work, don't know when I'll go back. I'll never work an ambulance again so I probably have to find a new career.

I'm 34, have a wife, three kids and no idea what the future holds either.

You're not alone. I had it all in front of me too.

Now I gotta figure out what to as well.

On the bright side, I've gotten to spend every day for the last 4 months watching my three kids(1,2 and 3) grow and play with them.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:05:01 PM EDT
STAY TOUGH
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:05:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:06:52 PM EDT
Hang tough, Carabinero79. Beat this and drive on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:10:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 6:15:16 PM EDT by CQB27]
Message sent to the "Airborne Ranger In The Sky" on your behalf.

I spent 8.5 years in the Army, 7 as an Army Aviator (UH-1, OV-1,C-12). That time in my life is only a memory now. I enjoyed it, but it pales in comparison to every day happiness I get from my family and being a father. I know you will recover from this. If your comission never comes and you never get to flight school, remember that would not have been your greatest accomplishment in life anyway. Your willingness to serve gains my respect, and I consider you part of the brotherhood already. Keep us updated, and if the comission and flight school comes through, IM me, I got a set of silver wings to send you that I would be proud for you to wear on graduation day............

Edit: Spelling

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:10:47 PM EDT
Man, I'm very sorry! I'm 28 and in the Army, enlisted. Its hard to face losing a dream. Maybe God has a different path for you. Good luck at your recovery and NEVER QUIT!

Remember your warrior ethos. Go enlisted for the two years till your cancer free, going green to gold makes better officers. In fact, work on the birds you want to fly. That way when you take to the Air, you "know" your craft.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:12:38 PM EDT
Hang in there man. You'll fight this off. Find others who had this disease and have fought it off and talk to them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:12:54 PM EDT

one of my best friends (36 yrs old) was diagnosed with the same thing last year.

He had it removed, some other surgery and chemo.

Now he's doing great, he has to go get checked every year just to make sure all is well, but they do it during his regular physical.

Hang in there & prayers sent

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:16:06 PM EDT
I am very sorry to hear this. You and yours are in the thoughts of me and mine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:22:06 PM EDT
I had testicular cancer at 23, had the orchiectomy and RPLND. I survived, healthy as can be (except for bad lungs when I run; the bleomycin chemo causes long-term lung damage). Had two boys since then (I think the left nut is the girl-making one)

Best of luck and hang in there. You might not have a commission and pilot training yet, but this experience will make you tougher. As I like to say, "yeah, I'm so badass, my own body couldn't even kill me!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:26:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tostitos:
My heart and prayers go out to you.

You can beat it. No matter what, you can come out victorious and well. Since you're already ahead of the game by being an educated, internet using RKBA supporter, I'm going to rank your odds as being in the "lance" category.

+1

My friend and co-worker is recovering from testicular cancer. He just finished Chemo a couple of months ago, but he graduated Air Assault school today! You can beat it and get back in the game.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:30:30 PM EDT
Prayers incoming brother, take care of yourself and your family.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:35:23 PM EDT
prayers upward
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:36:45 PM EDT
Dont be discouraged!

A Black >40 yr old is not supposed to get testicular cancer. Fine. Please tell me how I got one nut then.

BTW-I forgot all about the tattoos until this thread, just looked atthem in the mirror, yep they are still there, all 3 of them.

Prayer and good Doctors can make this thing a distant memory. As someone earlier said, read all about it. Thanks to the internet, you can read stuff written by the best in the world. When I went to the Urologist day 2 (Monday), I had a list of questions from my reading.

I think for me the biggest two things were the fear of the unknown, after acceptance of the situation I couldnt change, the fear went away. I knew all my medical decisions were made with the best minds I had available, bith my Doctors and my crash course in the matter. Trust me when I tell you, I read for literally hours on end. My Ultrasound was on Friday, I didnt leave the PC all weekend. I will probably guess I wasnt too far behind my Doctors competence come Monday morning, as I had hundreds of industry leaders papers to learn from, and a vested interest in learning it.

Fast forward 18 months later, and its a non-issue. I am where you need to focus on being.

Keep your head up, lets get through this thing in short order.

IM incoming.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:39:35 PM EDT
Prayers sent. Hang in there and fight it hard, do it for you son.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:40:23 PM EDT
Sprint car driver Danny 'The Dude' Lasoski also beat this about 10 or 15 years ago. It's just a little bump in the road cancer-wise.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT

I will send a prayer up to the Lord right now on your behalf.

Hang in there and know that God knows what you are going through.

Think positive too.

It's a shame govt wastes money instead of spending it on something good like cancer cures
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:42:52 PM EDT
Prayers for you Carabinero1979

I pray for you to be able to look back at
this when you are 80 and and smile from the
strength it has given you.

GM
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 6:55:31 PM EDT by LightSpeed2]
It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong.
Get a copy, Lance Read everything he could get his hands about his cancer after he was diagnosed.
One testical, 12 spots in his lungs and in his Brain.
I wear my yellow band and Live Strong for you and my Sister Bro.

Lance Armstrong Foundation
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:18:42 PM EDT
Don't worry about flying bub, the skies will still be there, even if Uncle Sugar isn't paying the tab.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:21:48 PM EDT
Prayers have been sent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:22:37 PM EDT
Prayer sent.

Win this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:24:00 PM EDT
Good Luck, Prayers sent!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:30:40 PM EDT
I recently had a cancer scare. I was very fortunate, my tumor was benign...but I remember the intense fear of not knowing, and having to have test after test, then surgery...

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. It's a roller coaster, but there are many good outcomes, you just have to stay positive.

Good luck to you!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top