User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
ill pray and continue to pray for you my friend
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
dang, cancer at 26, thats bad. Prayers sent man.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Prayers sent...With God All things are possible...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Since you didn't notice any symptoms or signs, I hope this means they caught it VERY early.  Best of luck to you.

I also hope it was one and not both.  You might consider freezing some semen as a hedge in case you want more children later.

Also, remember the old WW2 song:  www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_128b.html

For the young'uns: this is why it's a good idea to feel for lumps on the testicles, same as a woman would do for a breast self-exam.  An ex-girlfriend and I used to, ahem, trade duties on these.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I had my encounter at 29.  Been married only two months, called the wife who was in Virginia still and I was in Hawaii.  Very hard call to make.  She was there in two days, family support is critical I would have had a much rougher time without her being there.  

Chemo if you take it is not any fun (understatement) but they do have some fairly effective anti-nausea drugs that do help.

My prayers are with you and your family to see you through this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Prayers sent
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
dang, cancer at 26, thats bad. Prayers sent man.

cancer happes at ALL ages- even kids

It needs to be erradicated NOW

Prayer to you
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Thoughts & Prayers for a quick & complete recovery.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Prayers sent, keep your head up. A positive belief that you will win means a lot believe it or not. I remember too well how scared I was when my wife was diagnosed with lymphoma in '01 but she is 3 years out of treatment now and just graduated with her masters in may. I can't believe how many people I meet that have had it. Two years will fly by and you'll be strapping in a oversized ceiling fan before you know it. Even if you are only half the man you used to be.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn.  

I will keep you in my prayers.  You will beat this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
My brother had EXACTLY the same thing back in '94.  Hang in there.  No cancer is good, but if you're going to get it, testicular is the one you would pick...very treatable.  My brother is doing well to this day. (knock on wood)  We'll think of you and your family this holiday season.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
man, don't lose hope, that's your best weapon! don't think about the upcoming struggle and what MIGHT happen, just fight day-to-day and deal with what DOES happen. the good thing is you're young and strong and you have your family to help you out. prayers out to you and yours!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Hang tight man.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck bro, you will be in my prayers.

Cancer is a scary thing for sure.  My mother started radiation for her breast cancer three days ago.  Its a long hard road to beating it but it can be done.

Stay strong and stay healthy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]

had a non-seminomal mixed germ cell tumor in my right nut last August (04) just before my 26th b-day. had my surgery, so far everything's good.

they wanted to send me in for chemo and the lymph-node removal (whatever that's called again), i elected not to. i go in every month for x-rays, ct scans and blood tests though...

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it. 13 year survivor. One day you will look back on this as nothing more than a major annoyance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Same boat here.

Banged in sick to work. Needed to catch up on housework and laundry before the wife got home froma trip. Went to the doc for the "was seen today in our office blah blah blah" note for work. Complained of a "cough." Doc couldn't find anything wrong.(I wonder why?) So he says I'll just do an X-ray.

Finds a tumor in my chest. Follow up tests show chondrosarcoma lesions on my rib and T5 vertebrae. They gotta go. Had the surgery in August. Took the vertebrae, some of the rib and a lot of tissue out. Fifteen hours on the table, 21 liters of IV fluids, and 6 units of blood during the surgery; rods, screws, plates, cage, bone graft, two weeks in the hosp, still out of work, don't know when I'll go back. I'll never work an ambulance again so I probably have to find a new career.

I'm 34, have a wife, three kids and no idea what the future holds either.

You're not alone. I had it all in front of me too.

Now I gotta figure out what to as well.

On the bright side, I've gotten to spend every day for the last 4 months watching my three kids(1,2 and 3) grow and play with them.

Good luck.

I feel for you man - I hope it works out okay.  I guess my case doesn't seem so bad compared to what your family stands to lose.

Get better and stay strong for you family.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Get will soon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Prayers sent, keep your head up. A positive belief that you will win means a lot believe it or not. I remember too well how scared I was when my wife was diagnosed with lymphoma in '01 but she is 3 years out of treatment now and just graduated with her masters in may. I can't believe how many people I meet that have had it. Two years will fly by and you'll be strapping in a oversized ceiling fan before you know it. Even if you are only half the man you used to be.  

My cousin died from lymphoma in the 70's, he was basically told he was a dead man.   Cancer was basically a death sentance in those days.

Now, the amount of cancers that can be cured is incredible, especially just looking back 20+ years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Prayers sent.  God can do anything.  I am sure He still has something for you to do.  My dad had prostate cancer 3 years ago, and he is doing great now.  You can fight this......and win.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Prayers on the way.

Keep your attitude strong, even though it's hard to do.

I had my Prostate removed 10-22-04 due to cancer, and I'm still cancer free. I also have a friend who had one testicle removed and he's doing fine as well.

These things are beat all the time now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Prayers enrt brother
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Prayers sent.  Keep the PMA.  FWIW- two of my best friends became civilian fixed wing pilots after being Army helo pilots.   That route will be available to you regardless of what the Army decides. Stay strong.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#24]
My heart and prayers go out to you as well.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got done with the same thing, although I had a seminoma in my left nut. I found a lump and made a doc appt for the next week. Went in on a wednesday. Doc ordered an ultrasound for the following wednesday. I was supposed to call the urologist friday to set up an appointment. The urologist called me Thursday morning and told me I had an appointment at noon that day, and not to eat anything before I came in. I showed up and talked to the urologist. He informed me that I had surgery in 4 hours. Then he lopped the offending nut off.

I had a couple weeks worth of radiation therapy, and have to go back for CT scans every 6 months for the next 5 years.

The jokes are almost worth the missing nut though.
I'd give my left nut for...... Oh Wait....
It's all fun and games until someone loses a nut...

Just wait until they start calling you the Uniballer, or my new nickname Koter

Shoot me an IM if you have any questions. I had a different kind of cancer than you, but I'll help anyway I can.

CavVet and I have 3 things in common now. We both like guns. We both only have 1 nut, and are both hung like a black man
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I forgot to add my public service announcment.

Every male between 15-ish and 35-ish should be checking their boys regularly. It just takes a second. Mine felt like a little lump, a little smaller than a BB. I had no pain associated with mine. I just found the bump and figured I should have it checked out. Good damn thing I did!!

I was(still am) 28 when I found it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Great words there Kooter.

Many of us have beaten cancer in one or another of it's forms.  Fight it and win Carabinero & a little long-distance help (prayers) heading your way.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

had a non-seminomal mixed germ cell tumor in my right nut last August (04) just before my 26th b-day. had my surgery, so far everything's good.

they wanted to send me in for chemo and the lymph-node removal (whatever that's called again), i elected not to. i go in every month for x-rays, ct scans and blood tests though...

That's me, right there - my cancer consists of Embryonal and Teratoma cells, I am going in next month for lymph node removal, not a fun prospect - see link below

RPLND
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just got done with the same thing, although I had a seminoma in my left nut. I found a lump and made a doc appt for the next week. Went in on a wednesday. Doc ordered an ultrasound for the following wednesday. I was supposed to call the urologist friday to set up an appointment. The urologist called me Thursday morning and told me I had an appointment at noon that day, and not to eat anything before I came in. I showed up and talked to the urologist. He informed me that I had surgery in 4 hours. Then he lopped the offending nut off.

I had a couple weeks worth of radiation therapy, and have to go back for CT scans every 6 months for the next 5 years.

The jokes are almost worth the missing nut though.
I'd give my left nut for...... Oh Wait....
It's all fun and games until someone loses a nut...

Just wait until they start calling you the Uniballer, or my new nickname Koter

Shoot me an IM if you have any questions. I had a different kind of cancer than you, but I'll help anyway I can.

CavVet and I have 3 things in common now. We both like guns. We both only have 1 nut, and are both hung like a black man

My wife already calls me the "one-nut wonder"

I just wonder if the reduced amount of testosterone will make my hair grow back ;-)

I was hoping my cancer would be like yours (seminomal), it looks as though it will be a bit more complicated now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I just want to sincerely thank all of you for your prayers during this time - I know that God has chosen this path for me to make me a better person.  It is very calming to hear your stories and your words of encouragement.  I'll walk this road and not be so worried.

Thanks.

Stewart
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#31]
My uncle had the same type of cancer that spread into his lymph nodes..............

..............40 years ago!!!  He lives to this day.

There is hope!!!

Balming
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Prayers have been sent your way by my girlfriend and myself. I hope for the best.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#33]
My buddy was diagnosed with the same thing about three years ago.  He's 32 and has three girls.  They did exactly the same thing as you,  they wound up removing one of his testicles and also doing the same surgery on his abdomen that left about a 13" scar across his stomach and lower kidney.

Today he's fine and the cancer is gone. He's tending his little ones and planning on having another one.  So this can turn out OK but I can't imagine the stress you must be under.  But I wanted you to know that this can have a happy ending.  

Prayers sent for your well being and health.  You will beat the cancer and live a happy life.  

Of course if you're like my buddy your wife will call you "one puck" in public places just to humuliate you but that's not so bad

Good luck man,  keep strong and fight and you'll be arguing the merits of AR's vs AK's for years and years to come.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#34]
My doc wanted me to get an ultrasound when he felt something turning the cough test.  I ended up loosing my job and insurance right after that and never went...this was a year ago  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My doc wanted me to get an ultrasound when he felt something turning the cough test.  I ended up loosing my job and insurance right after that and never went...this was a year ago  

You must get in for an ultrasound!

most lumps turn out to be non-cancerous cysts, but the peace of mind you will have will be priceless.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#36]
By the way, for those pending the removal of one testicle, there is a 99% chance that you will have absolutely NO DECREASE in sexual desire, sexual ability, or sexual prowess with only one nut remaining.  So don't worry about that.

My wife is thankful I have only 1 left.  She says she can barely handle my insatiability with 50% equipment, she can't even imagine what I was like at 100%.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must get in for an ultrasound!

most lumps turn out to be non-cancerous cysts, but the peace of mind you will have will be priceless.

anyone know how much an ultrasound costs without insurance?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#38]
15 year survivor here.

I think you are about to find out why Lance Armstrong is such a hero to alot of us.  Visit his website.  There is alot of useful info for you there.
God Bless.

www.livestrong.org
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Carabinero, I've had lots of prayers coming my way since Dec 8th of this year. I'm sending some of mine towards you...

Mcantu, cost shouldn't matter. Most hospitals have an "indigent" fund that helps pay for healthcare if you can't afford it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Starting at $400 for the ultrasound, up to $500 for a reading.  I speak from experience, I'm sitting in the hospital getting chemo as we speak.  Go to a hospital, don't go to a clinic or speciality place, they won't help you as much as a hospital will financially.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Get a 2nd opinion on the lymph nodes.  Some docs like to cut and maime.  The lymph node removal in the stomach towards the back is a SERIOUS surgery.  There are probably other ways of doing things rather than cutting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Best of luck, and keep your chin up - for what it's worth, a close friend had the same thing happen over 2 years ago - he's doing well, and cancer free thus far...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Hurry and get well, we need good men like you in our Army, THINK POSITIVE To you and your family have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Prayers sent, Carabinero.  I pray you have a speedy recovery.  May you and your family be well, happy, and at peace.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Prayers comming.,

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Prayers sent for you and your family.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Oh Lord.

Very sorry to hear that - our prayers are with you and your family for a safe recovery.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#49]
You've got your friends, family, AR15.com buddies and a lot of prayers sent.

Keep the faith. You'll win this battle.

Prayers sent.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Good luck.  Just hang in there.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top