Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/21/2005 3:51:21 PM EDT
Will it ever stop?  

Original News Article

Ore. troopers defend shooting of dog

04:32 PM PST on Wednesday, December 21, 2005
By KRISTINA BRENNEMAN, kgw.com Staff

METZ HILL, Ore. -- Rosalie Kiff isn’t talking anymore about the death of her Shih Tzu, Precious.

AP photo

A Shih Tzu dog at a local dog show.

It’s too painful. Three days ago, the dog was shot by state troopers after running loose on the highway for several hours and biting a trooper’s index finger. Police said the dog had no collar and was at risk of causing a major traffic accident on Interstate 5.

They assured the 67-year-old Kiff they didn’t heartlessly shoot Precious.

The Shih Tzu got loose after Kiff crashed her car on I-5 Sunday. While being moved to an ambulance, Precious wriggled out of her collar and ran away. Officers told Kiff, as she was being taken to Mercy Medical Center in Roseburg, they would look for dog.

But as the hours passed, and other accidents occurred, Oregon State Police troopers lost sight of the dog.

Senior Trooper Kirk Freeman finally spotted Precious about two miles away from where Kiff had crashed, according to Hageman. He did not realize the dog had been involved with Kiff’s earlier wreck near Metz Hill.

Freeman saw it underneath a semitrailer and reached for the dog, which then bit off the tip of his index finger and ran away, Hageman said.

Freeman and another officer, both of whom specialize in fish and wildlife, tried to chase down Precious with a fishing net. They had almost caught her amidst some blackberry bushes when she got away again, Hageman said.

Trooper Don Frerishs then shot the dog to prevent her from running onto the highway and causing an accident, which he said has happened before. The other concern, Hageman said, was that Precious didn’t have a collar and there was no indication it had an updated shot for rabies.

“There were concerns about the health of the dog and the impact on the trooper,” Hageman said. “The dog was shook up from crash and was not acting tame in any way. They were concerned about the dog getting into road and causing a crash. That’s happened before. He (Frerishs) felt like he had to make a decision.”

State police policy allows troopers to shoot dogs if they pose a hazard to others, he said. “This was a little dog but they have a lot of jaw pressure,” Hageman said.

Kiff, who lives in Oakland, told the Roseburg News-Review that she was angry at the troopers’ response that Precious was threatening.

“She must have growled, she must have snarled,” Kiff said at the time. “She was scared… but they did not have to shot the dog. She’s 11 pounds.”

The Shih Tzu, she told the News-Review was like a family member. “My heart’s broken and my arms are empty,” Kiff said.

Hageman said he and supervisor, Oregon State Police Sgt. Dean Perske, had talked to Kiff and the incident is being reviewed.

“ I assured her we would look into it and make a determination from there,” he said. “A lot of it comes down to whether it was a reasonable decision someone would make.”

Added Hageman:  “Witnesses at the scene said troopers made a considerable effort before destroying the dog.”

Trooper Freeman, who lost a considerable amount of blood, is wearing a cast on finger, he said.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
it was running loose and bit an officer.

I say justified, however they could have saved the bullet and just punted the damn thing into traffic
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Dog without collar, running loose in ice storm, bites trooper and gets shot.

The problem?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree that they were justified.

I just about died when I saw the headline "Ore. troopers defend shooting of dog".  I instantly thought of ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
God forbid they use some sense of judgement.

The thing was 11 pounds.  Do people not know how to handle a dog that doesn't want to be handled?  Its not hard.

I swear its a requirement that cops must be willing to shoot dogs before they get a badge.

They practice at the police academey.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Labrador retriever owners got offended when the state police praticed shooting black dog targets

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I say justified, however they could have saved the bullet and just punted the damn thing into traffic

Yea a scared dog the size of a bread box is a real serious life threatening situation.

A five year old with a coat or a blanket could have handled the situation without killing the dog but 200 pound idiot cop had to shoot it because he is not as smart as a turnip.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
when oh when will we see this madness stop
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The thing was 11 pounds.  Do people not know how to handle a dog that doesn't want to be handled?  Its not hard.

I swear its a requirement that cops must be willing to shoot dogs before they get a badge.

What police academy teaches oficers to shoot dogs and do they practice on live dogs or dead dogs?

It's says in the article the tried to catch it with a net. What more are they supposed to do?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the problem?  Not that I would have shot, but then again I was not there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Labrador retriever owners got offended when the state police praticed shooting black dog targets

I got seriously bitten and required about 20 stitches from a black lab.  They can be quite dangerous.  Never Again.

Yea, always shoot first.
Hey, why not just kill all dogs, I mean they could all bite someone....right ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]
If a dog is acting dangerous shoot it.

If not, don't.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, this is a new one. How do you handle a dog that doesn't want to be handled?

Throw a coat, shirt, blanket over it and grab by the scruff of the neck… a child could handle it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, this is a new one. How do you handle a dog that doesn't want to be handled?

tazer!!

Come on, its a 11lb dog.  Hold the damned mouth shut until you carry it to where you want it to go.

Judgement.  They obviously didn't use it.  With a 200lb dog, yes its different.  There is that whole judgement thing again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#19]
<Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb>

Precious, come on Precious! Busy, busy day today...   Momma's gonna be sooo beautiful!

</ Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb>
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]

AHHHHHHHHHH, GOD HELP US.....CALL SWAT, CALL OUT THE GUARD....NUKES !!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
<Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb>

Precious, come on Precious! Busy, busy day today...   Momma's gonna be sooo beautiful!

</ Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb>

It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#22]
So will they now be shooting every furry thing they see that could potentially run into traffic ? Do these officers pull over every time they see a deer and attempt to catch it and then open fire if they can't ? Deer, hogs, bears, raccoons, opossums, armadillos, cats, squirrels and dogs get creamed everyday in traffic around here. Never heard of an officer shooting a furry critter because it might potentially run out into traffic if left alive and allowed to run free.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I doubt it bit his finger off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Keep your damn dog on a leash, justified shooting. when will the cop bashing stop?? should be the question.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sorry, maybe they had to do it, but don't resort to this crap:

“This was a little dog but they have a lot of jaw pressure,” Hageman said.

Be a man for goodness sakes. An officer who is concerned with the jaw pressure of an 11 pound dog needs his man card revoked.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Bit the tip of his finger off?

Gimme a friggin' break.

There are simply some cops who don't deserve to be among, much less serve, the public.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Keep your damn dog on a leash, justified shooting. when will the cop bashing stop?? should be the question.

When they stop doing stupid stuff like this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#28]
another scenerio:

suppose your child got loose after an accident and was running around frantically, fighting and biting the cops, running in and out of traffic, etc - would the cops shoot the child to prevent an accident?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess we should give the trooper some praise for being a good enough shot to hit a small dog that might have been moving. Of course the article doesn't specify how many rounds were fired and how many hit
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
another scenerio:

suppose your child got loose after an accident and was running around frantically, fighting and biting the cops, running in and out of traffic, etc - would the cops shoot the child to prevent an accident?

Are you or have you ever been a member of the deep ecology movement?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Cops have all the fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Loose animal on a freeway is a big hazard.  Too many people would try to avoid it leading to accidents.  Not worth it.  I bet the copw would rather pick up a dead dog rather than pick a family out of a wreck.  Cops were justified and just following SOP's as they exist in many communities around the country.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Did you bother to read the article?
The dog was in a car that was involved in a motor vehicle accident.
The dog got loose and off its collar when the rescue workers were getting it out of the vehicle.

It's not the owner's fault.

The accident angle should be enough, IMO. To try to justify shooting the dog because it has a lot of "jaw pressure" is stupid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Can you read... The dog got loose after a traffic accident.

Justifed my ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#36]
the only reason the cops thought the dog would cause an accident is because he assumed the drivers on the freeway would swerve therby causing an accident - besides a carwash, the only reason they would swerve with such a small dog is because they do not want to kill an innocent animal
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

We paint the little pepper poppers to look like poodles.  

Just kidding.

If dog bit your kid and you demanded it be dealt with,  I'm sure it would.

It is unfortunate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a Shih Tzu. Even when he was "fit and strong" (he was big at 21 pounds) he could jsut barely break the skin.

That, and Shih Tzus have these little tiny legs. They can't run very fast.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted: Be a man for goodness sakes. An officer who is concerned with the jaw pressure of an 11 pound dog needs his man card revoked.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that counts, it's the size of the fight in the dog! You guys are just pansies crying over a doggie. It caused and accident, resisted arrest, assaulted a human officer. I say good shooting! It's hard to hit a small moving target. After tasting human blood, that Shih Tzu could've attacked a baby. Those little doggies can get mean!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Would it have been better if he tased it?  Some people need a new hobbie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
never mind....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Hard one to call.

I'd have to be there.

GM
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Keep your damn dog on a leash, justified shooting.

So, rode in here on the short rusty bus, huh?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like a good shootto me.

Hope he yelled "HE'S COMING RIGHT AT US!!!" before he shot the pooch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I fucking hated that dog, I'm glad it's dead! Precious my ass! That bitch could bite a Louisville Slugger in half and want another in 1 second flat. Good riddance!!  Good shoot!

AB
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey people, I think some of you lost sight of reality. It's just a fuckin' dog. 11lbs or 110lbs, it's a damn animal. I love my dog, but if she ever bit anybody she would get the short walk in the woods with me. Of course there are exceptions to that statement, but not too many. If the dog was a risk to traffic on the roadway, or even a potential risk, then I'm glad the officer had the guts to put her down. This whole " Cops only want to kill dogs" shit is annoying. By the way, yap dogs tend to be less friendly as a whole, and a hell of a lot more likely to bite.  Plenty of people carry scars for life from their grandma's little "Precious".

Sorry for Mrs. Kiff's suffering, BTW.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hey people, I think some of you lost sight of reality. It's just a fuckin' dog. 11lbs or 110lbs, it's a damn animal. I love my dog, but if she ever bit anybody she would get the short walk in the woods with me. Of course there are exceptions to that statement, but not too many. If the dog was a risk to traffic on the roadway, or even a potential risk, then I'm glad the officer had the guts to put her down. This whole " Cops only want to kill dogs" shit is annoying. By the way, yap dogs tend to be less friendly as a whole, and a hell of a lot more likely to bite.  Plenty of people carry scars for life from their grandma's little "Precious".

Sorry for Mrs. Kiff's suffering, BTW.

Its not just "cops want to kill dogs"...it the "us-versus-them" mentality that cops have that irks some of us....

Like the little old lady in NO the cops put the beat-down on. Let them kill (11 lb?) dogs with impunity; where does it progress from there?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

A lot of these guy don't get very much range time. Capping a dog is their only opportunity to qualify.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top