BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2005 2:51:24 PM EDT
Illinois Officers On Leave After Doughnut Shop Killing
Courtney Greve
Chicago Sun Times

Two Midlothian police officers went on paid leave Monday as State Police began investigating the officers' decision to gun down an alleged robber who climbed through a doughnut shop's drive-up window and pistol-whipped an employee.

Bobby Pounds of Dixmoor repeatedly used his gun to beat the employee's head and face about 11:15 p.m. on Sunday at the Dunkin' Donuts at 14631 S. Pulaski, police said.

When Pounds, who turned 21 the same day he was killed, spotted the Midlothian officers who had been flagged down by another Dunkin' Donuts worker, Pounds allegedly pointed the gun at them. The officers then opened fire, shattering two windows and a door.

'THEY SAVED HIS LIFE'

African-American ministers and Pounds' family raised questions Monday about whether deadly force was needed, noting Pounds' 6-foot, 140-pound frame.

But Midlothian Detective Sgt. Harold Kaufman said he is "very, very confident" the officers acted appropriately based his review of security-video footage. The Dunkin Doughnuts employee received 19 staples and nine stitches before he was released Monday from St. Francis Hospital in Blue Island, police said.

"The officers were at the right place at the right time," Kaufman said. "I honestly feel, from the beating [the victim] took, they saved his life by being there."

FAMILY WANTS ANSWERS

The two officers, whom officials refused to identify, are on paid leave while the Illinois State Police public integrity unit investigates the incident.

More than 20 of Pounds' family members gathered Monday at Midwest Memorial Chapel in Harvey to make funeral arrangements and challenge police to provide answers. Pounds' survivors include two sons, Ryan, 4, and Justin, 17 months.

"We're not here today to argue innocence or guilt," said the Rev. Lance Davis of New Zion Christian Fellowship in Dolton. "We're here to raise questions as to the amount of force used to murder an individual and to stop the open season on young African-American men in the community."

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
When Pounds, who turned 21 the same day he was killed, spotted the Midlothian officers who had been flagged down by another Dunkin' Donuts worker, Pounds allegedly pointed the gun at them. The officers then opened fire, shattering two windows and a door.

African-American ministers and Pounds' family raised questions Monday about whether deadly force was needed, noting Pounds' 6-foot, 140-pound frame.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Who cares how big he was, the bullet that could have potentially come out of the muzzle of that gun kills the same regardless of the size of its user.
I call good shoot, based on the info given.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
who cares what 'color' the crook was--he got what was appropriate

....to stop the open season on young African-American men in the community."

--what crap

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"We're not here today to argue innocence or guilt," said the Rev. Lance Davis of New Zion Christian Fellowship in Dolton. "We're here to raise questions as to the amount of force used to murder an individual and to stop the open season on young African-American men in the community."

Bwhahaha, ok.. what a help to the community that reverend is.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1 WTF??

Pistol whip someone and them aim your gun toward police and the question whether deadly force was justified????

Get a clue, doesn't matter if he was 7' tall and 88 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't see any problem here, one less violent criminal roaming the streets. The questions the parents should be asking is why they raised such a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Beats worker with gun and then points it at police?

I don't care if he was a 3 foot eskimo, it was a clean shoot.

Just because he's skinny and not caucasian doesn't make him any less of a criminal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Another one bites the dust!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
As I have posted before, "the police aren't always right, but they are predictable".

Situation: Subject threatens deadly force against a police officer or other person (in a police officer's presence)

Prediction: Police will use deadly force to protect themselves or others.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
WTF?  There was no reason to shoot him, none at all.

They could have just given him the couple bucks from the register and let him go on his way.  He's a good kid, just very poor.  We should let him tough some money, for the first time, just let him touch it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As I have posted before, "the police aren't always right, but they are predictable".

Situation: Subject threatens deadly force against a police officer or other person (in a police officer's presence)

Prediction: Police will use deadly force to protect themselves or others.

Yup, I dont know many cops that would even hesitate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Does this mean there is actually an open season that we don't know about. Are any other races included?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I stopped reading after this part

Two Midlothian police officers went on paid leave Monday as State Police began investigating the officers' decision to gun down an alleged robber who climbed through a doughnut shop's drive-up window and pistol-whipped an employee.

Any more details would spoile my enjoyment of this hilarious story.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#14]
RACISM!!!
The family members of the dead shit head are clearly racist!

Yahoo, lawsuit lottery!

Let's see, crackhead POS almost kills someone and the family calls him a victim.  Bottom feeders!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#15]
And I thought someone would point out the obvious..................

If you have a donut, hold it in your reaction side hand, at chest level, as far away from your body as possible. It will provide cover, the hole in the middle makes a nifty firing port.................

Practically invulnerable that way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]
so sad

all he wanted was an extra sugar packet for his coffee..............

thats funny
its only funny because he is claimed as the victim!!!

Gary
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yep.
No suprise there.
Same ol' shit.
"Them poh-lice din't need to kill that BOY"
That boy was 21 years old, was commiting armed robbery and he pistol whipped a clerk.
He was no boy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Gee, maybe the "rev" SHOULD question if mr pound DID pound on the face of an employee with a gun, then point it at the cops. He's as much a "rev" as I am a billionaire. More like the pastor of PUTZ. DOLTon sounds like a good place for bro "rev".
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They could have just given him the couple bucks from the register and let him go on his way.  He's a good kid, just very poor.  We should let him tough some money, for the first time, just let him touch it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Someone better call Jessee and Al, so they can straighten them racists out and raise "revenue" for the good Reverend!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Good shoot.  Those officers deserve free donuts for life! If the perp had been white, I doubt that Reverand would be making a big issue out of it.  Yeah, like his height/weight has anything to do with the price of tea in China.  You pistol whip somebody and then point a gun at police officers, rational folks would expect the perp to get shot.  Heck, just pistol whipping the employee and not stopping after lawful order to stop would of been a good shoot too.  Rational folks wouldn't want police officers to go hand-to-hand with a pistol-whipping fool.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]

African-American ministers and Pounds' family raised no questions Monday about whether deadly force was needed, noting Pounds' 6-foot, 140-pound frame was beating a person about the head with his gun before aiming the deadly weapon at police.

Fixed it.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#23]
It would be fitting if the family of the donut store employee held a press conference to demand answers from the parents of the 21 year old criminal about why they raised a son who would act in such a way!!?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why robbing a doughnut shop is a bad idea  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#25]
dope!  duped
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#26]
IBT "That's Racist!" little kid macro.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr
Real genius, aren't you?  I could tell you're real quick to pick up on things, and you definitely don't judge without merit.  Nice to meet you!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Maybe they were referring to that it was not wise to shoot at such a shinny target?  

Good shoot.  

That reverend is an asshole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Real genius, aren't you?  I could tell you're real quick to pick up on things, and you definitely don't judge without merit.  Nice to meet you!

Well, you made no effort in letting us know you were being sarcastic. If you were, then my bad. If you were not, then....................

ETA: Nice to meet you too!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Boo fucking hoo. Piss on him, his crackhead family, and that fucking piece of shit charlatan masquerading as a fucking leader.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Who cares how big he was, the bullet that could have potentially come out of the muzzle of that gun kills the same regardless of the size of its user.
I call good shoot, based on the info given.

+1 Good shoot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#32]
His family raises issues about whether deadly force is required? He had a gun, didn't he?  That's justification enough to shoot, ahem, rehabilitate him through reincarnation. He's there with Tookie in a better place.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Rev and family are looking for anyone that will lend an ear. (translation $$$$$$$) Where was the rev and the dumb fucks family while he was wreaking havoc in the community...pistol whipping people and shit.  The cat got what he deserved.

Fuck him, his family, and that no bible school going assclown that calls himself a rev.  

The mutha had a deathwish any way because I LOVE DOUGHNUTS TOO!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
WTF? There was no reason to shoot him, none at all.

They could have just given him the couple bucks from the register and let him go on his way. He's a good kid, just very poor. We should let him tough some money, for the first time, just let him touch it.

I do believe onSoneK was tying to use sarcasm here.  At least, that is how I read his post.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#35]
How can you read it any other way?

This isn't DU
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#36]
"FAMILY WANTS ANSWERS"

I'll give you an answer, your kid is an asshole that tried to kill someone and paid for it. You should have been looking for answers long before this and taught your kid some morals. Good shoot, officers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Courtney Greve
Chicago Sun Times

Bobby Pounds of Dixmoor repeatedly used his gun to beat the employee's head and face about 11:15 p.m. on Sunday at the Dunkin' Donuts at 14631 S. Pulaski, police said.

'THEY SAVED HIS LIFE'

But Midlothian Detective Sgt. Harold Kaufman said he is "very, very confident" the officers acted appropriately based his review of security-video footage. The Dunkin Doughnuts employee received 19 staples and nine stitches before he was released Monday from St. Francis Hospital in Blue Island, police said.

"The officers were at the right place at the right time," Kaufman said. "I honestly feel, from the beating [the victim] took, they saved his life by being there."

FAMILY WANTS ANSWERS

The two officers, whom officials refused to identify, are on paid leave while the Illinois State Police public integrity unit investigates the incident.

More than 20 of Pounds' family members gathered Monday at Midwest Memorial Chapel in Harvey to make funeral arrangements and challenge police to provide answers. Pounds' survivors include two sons, Ryan, 4, and Justin, 17 months.

Asshole deserves to rot in hell...but how do you shatter a door?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Edited to add...

If that was sarcasm it was in bad taste.

If you were serious then... Go back to the DU ya damn troll.  So you're actually saying that if you live below the poverty level you have the right to pistol whip someone to death for a few bucks?  My mom was held at gunpoint and then punched in the face by some shitbag back in the 80's when she worked at a Ramada Inn.  All for a few bucks.  Just as easily could have been her.  Two big words for you pal....

F-U-C-K  Y-O-U

ETAA: O yeah... rant off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#39]
It will never happen but I'd love to see these fucktards that bitch about these situations be a guest at a recreation of the incident.

Have the Reverend play the part of the man who was beaten.

Have mommy there next to whoever is playing the cop when her "son" points a handgun at them during the commission of an ARMED ROBBERY.

Let's see how they feel after being put in the place of the REAL victims of this scumbag's violent assault.

Yeah, I know that it wouldn't change a bloody thing.  People like this can only FEEL about things.  Pesky little details like FACTS ON VIDEOTAPE are meaningless to them.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#40]

If that was sarcasm it was in bad taste.

Liberals are so ridiculous that we have trouble distinguishing between over the top sarcasm and what liberals really do say.  That is funny in a sad way.

Posts like that make me miss Imbroglio.z
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Doughnut shop? LMAO.

As for the family, screw 'em. They shouldn't have raised a dirtbag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Courtney Greve
Chicago Sun Times

'THEY SAVED HIS LIFE'

FAMILY WANTS ANSWERS

WARNING, real feelings being posted.

OK fuck these motherfuckers, stupid ass morons who have no real reason for his dangerous and deadly actions so they play the race card. "oh he's black" waaaa fucking waaa your motherfucking POS shitbag reject of life was gunned down because he was a piece of shit that couldnt obey a law as simple as "Dont beat people within a inch of their life." or "Dont commit armed robbery" or "Dont point a gun at law enforement officers". All of these things we know to be bad and well....... he deserved to be killed. I am glad there is one less violent, dangerous shitbag on the streets tonight. So sleep well america... i know i will.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

FAMILY WANTS ANSWERS

OH FUCK YOU AND YOUR DEAD CRIMINAL.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm gonna take  wild guess and suppose that he was trying to parody the Celine Dion "let them touch it" speech about the Katrina looters.  

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46143

"You know, some people are stealing and they're making a big deal out of it," Dion said on CNN's "Larry King Live," as she said she'd donate $1 million toward relief.

"Oh, they're stealing 20 pair of jeans or they're stealing television sets. Who cares? They're not going to go too far with it. Maybe those people are so poor, some of the people who do that they're so poor they've never touched anything in their lives. Let them touch those things for once."

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't think of a cleaner shoot than firing at someone who was in the act of bashing an unarmed victim in the head with a pistol and then turned the gun on two cops who responded.

This guy's race has nothing to do with anything.  Do these protestors think that the officers would not have shot at someone of any other race in the same situation?

They should call it, "open season on people who point guys at the police when the police try to stop them from beating someone to death".
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#46]
here they go pulling the @#$%ing race card, I swear, this happens everytime. I'm not saying that they aren't right sometimes, but I think it is used way too much. If any bastard points a gun at an armed officer, they can expect to get shot. This is bullshit, if they didn't even say what color he was, no one would have said anything, but since he's black, the media seems to have a field day with it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Even if this turd did not point the pistol at the police, they would be completely justified in their actions. He caused bodily harm to the real victim with a deadly weapon while in the commision of another forcible felony (Agg. armed robbery/Agg. battery w/Deadly weapon), was in possesion of a firearm and in a enclosed area with a potential hostage.

Dolton used to be a very nice suburb of Chicago until savages like the offender and the rest of his kin destroyed the town.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#49]

the Midlothian officers who had been flagged down by another Dunkin' Donuts worker, Pounds allegedly pointed the gun at them  

This pretty much sums up what not to do when meeting the PoPo.

Midlothian Detective Sgt. Harold Kaufman said he is "very, very confident" the officers acted appropriately based his review of security-video footage.  

Seems they have actual video of poor ol'Tookie,,,errrrrrrrr  Mr. Pounds doing his best to kill people.

The Dunkin Doughnuts employee received 19 staples and nine stitches before he was released Monday from St. Francis Hospital in Blue Island, police said.

Looks like open season on scumbags.  Or as they call them in California, "Open season on a kind and loveable black king who was struck down in the prime of life by the man."  

It amazes me that not a single member of the "black community" in any of these places has a shred of concern for the victim of a crime.  I have yet to hear Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton say a single kind word about someone who was attacked and robbed, raped or killed by one of their "heros".

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Haters. The kid was just trying to get paid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top