BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2005 1:55:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh god no!

We can buy ARs all day long (with all the evil features).   However if they are not HBARs then we have an 8 day wait till we can pick them up.

Hi caps & betas are good to go.  However if they hold more than 20 rounds you have to buy them out of state - but it's perfectly legal to own & use them in state.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
it's pretty damn close

I think we have member that fled MD for VA recently....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh I forgot to point out.  Class 3 toys in MD is for all purposes 'shall issue'.  Yep turn in your forms for silencer, MG, SBR and if you are not a fellon it will be approved.

Even many of the "Free States" can't make that claim.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Oh god no!

We can buy ARs all day long (with all the evil features).   However if they are not HBARs then we have an 8 day wait till we can pick them up.

Hi caps & betas are good to go.  However if they hold more than 20 rounds you have to buy them out of state - but it's perfectly legal to own & use them in state.

Gotta watch out for those evil crime commiting Government Profile barrels Huh?

Seriously WTF OVER?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh god no!

Gotta watch out for those evil crime commiting Government Profile barrels Huh?

Seriously WTF OVER?

They consider "assault weapons" to be anything but a Colt HBar (or Sporter models, I think). They treat purchase of assault weapons the same as they do hand guns (waiting period).

You thinking about moving to Md LT??
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seriously WTF OVER?

Somebody lobbied that Colt & Eagle Arms HBAR Sporters or some such were considered 'target rifles' and not 'assualt weapons'.  So both of these got an exemption to our 'regulated weapons law' (weapons on the list have an 8 day wait).  The State Police have taken that clause to mean ANY AR type that has an HBAR and the barrel or rifle is so marked.

So if it's an HBAR it's Cash-NICS-Carry, if it's a lower or Govt Profile then it's Cash-NICS-wait a week-Carry.

Oh one cute thing they have added is you need to watch a "safety video" (brady bunch propaganda video) before you can buy any regulated weapons (unless you're a cop, in the military, or have a DD214 showing you were honorably discharged from the military).  This was intended for handgun sales only - but when they used the term 'regulated weapon' instead of 'handgun' it covered the listed 'assualt weapons' as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I fled from MD last September. The gun law issue depends on what you are trying to do. For me, concealed carry was an issue. Try and get CCW in the People's Republic of Maryland. No way unless you are one of the wealthy connected few. There are plenty of counties in California that issue CCW. In that respect MD is worse than Ca.

It all depends on what you want.

I LOVE West by God Virginia. Gun laws here are pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hear TX has good gun laws.

umm, yes theyre pretty nice
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh I forgot to point out.  Class 3 toys in MD is for all purposes 'shall issue'.  Yep turn in your forms for silencer, MG, SBR and if you are not a fellon it will be approved.

Even many of the "Free States" can't make that claim.

I have to admit, that IS pretty cool.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hear TX has good gun laws.

It's no VA, but they're pretty good
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Oh god no!

+1
Not great, but not much more than an inconvienience.
Although, there is talk that all regulated weapons get "registered" during the 8 day wait.
In MD, a stripped lower is a regulated weapon.
Doc(stayinginPAaftergraduation)308

Oh yea, and as far as CCW goes, forget it.
Unless you are well-connected, retired police with +20 years on the force, or rich, that is.
And when you get the ok, your papework is stamped "not-disapproved" implying that it is ok, but that they don't approve of you carrying a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing Definite, but I have something working in Baltimore and also NYC.

Guess the next question is; Is dntn Baltimore close enough to VA to commute??

My advice would be to try it during the hours that you would be working. Rush between Balt. and VA is a nightmare. You will spend hours making the commute more than likely.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
it's pretty damn close

I think we have member that fled MD for VA recently....

I used to live in Bethesda [MD], where I grew up....now I live in Falls Church, VA. Only about 11 miles away. Its like a breath of fresh air! I open carry all the time as well as CCW, I can take my firearm purchases home on the same day. Frankly, I dont think I could go back to MD anymore. I just wont do it!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#17]
In terms of CCW: yes. But in other respects they're little more than an inconvenience.

There's a list of restricted guns that can't be brought into the state. Stuff like Uzis and "assault pistols." The price on those has gone up accordingly. I can't remember the full list.

But you can own AR's, AKM clones, etc with all the bad features. There is a waiting period on handguns and "regulated" firearms like the aforementioned ones, except Colt's HBAR for some reason. High-cap mags(over 20 rounds) have to be purchased out of state,as in physically travel to the neighboring state and buy it there. There's also this lame-ass safety video that you have to watch the first time you buy a handgun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#18]

and keep your Sanity?
nope

some folkes commute to Balmer from PA

Maryland is a liberal science project for annoying honest gun owners.
check out Our Attorney Generals "fairwell to arms" manifesto.
www.oag.state.md.us/Press/pr289.htm
Joe Curran, who's daughter the State Judge is married to mayor of BAlmer, the next democratic attempt to run for Governor...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Curran_O'Malley

The good news is we keep wearing out the MMM leadership,
and keep turning out more and more pissed off voters for gun bill days in Annapolis.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure

you have a helicopter?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Is MD gunlaws worst than CA???  

Uh, shouldn't it be, "Am MD's gun laws worse than CA's???"

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Not even close.  The most "evil" gun I can buy legally is an M1A, Mini, or Kel Tec.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(I base this from Fairfax VA(there's a lot of members in that area, your mileage may vary...from Google Maps)
Start address:
Fairfax, VA
End address:
Baltimore, MD
Distance: 55.7 mi (about 1 hour 11 mins)
Directions
Start address: Fairfax, VA
End address: Baltimore, MD
Reverse directions
1. Head north from Chain Bridge Rd - go 1.3 mi
2. Take the I-66 E ramp to Washington - go 5.0 mi
3. Take the I-495 N exit 64B to Baltimore - go 21 mi
4. Take the I-95 N exit 27 to Baltimore - go 26 mi
5. Take the I-395 N exit 53 to Downtown - go 1.5 mi
6. Bear right at W Conway St - go 0.4 mi
7. Turn left at Light St - go 0.2 mi
8. Bear left at S Calvert St - go 0.3 mi
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
we have the one handgun a month too and they have tried for built in locks on handguns, that had it for a while.

you can live in PA and travel to baltimore, it takes about an hour to the state line. i live in baltimore btw
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
For the record, Baltimore is a grade A shithole...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For the record, Baltimore is a grade A shithole...

most of it yes, where i live no. the average rebuilt row house on a 14 by 100 foot lot is selling for 600 k. its nuts, an address on my street, meaning a house that will be torn down is worth 200,000 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be getting a little luckier lately.  I'lda thought you'ld be asking about the wimmen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No but southern Pa is no problem (I do it every day).  Land is cheaper than Va too.

From this:

to this:

takes me about an hour, and I use back roads for most of the trip. Using the interstate can cut that down, unless there's a wreck or something to screw up traffic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#29]
well gus a pic of federal hill is not really showing what baltimore is like. btw you work about 1 mile as the crow flies from my house
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't live in MY.  From Fredrick headed west the state is really nice but no CCW is a big black eye.  Not to mention waiting periods.

Baltimore SUCKS
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I live next to Dulles Airport in VA and commute to Hopkins (Baltimore) regularly.  I usually get up and leave at 6:00 a.m. and come home around 2:00 or 3:00 p.m.  My commutes take me a little over an hour each way.  Viva la toll road (267)....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

OK How's about public trans. Is there a train or bus from PA or VA that's take you to Baltimore.

Public transportation doesn't really work too well.

We lived in Columbia MD for 11 years.   My wife worked all over, including northern virginia.

public transport NEVER worked out.   too many transfers too much time
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I know somebody that does it - I really don't recommend it.  Well over an hour during rush-hour and that is assuming you don't have any traffic incidents on the roads

The better alternative is to live in PA (like the York or Shrewsbury area) and commute down I83.  I know plenty of people who do that.  It's a more reasonable commute and PA is very gun friendly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
... and the ole 1 handgun a month.

Did I forget to mention that?

Yes we have a 1 REGULATED weapon a month unless you're a registered collecter.  Getting to be a registered collecter is easy enough, but having to jump through hoops to buy a handgun and a lower in the same month is BS IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Start address:
Fairfax, VA
End address:
Baltimore, MD

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#37]
This among other reasons is why I loooooove living in the Sunshine State!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Start address:
Fairfax, VA
End address:
Baltimore, MD

I have a friend who lives near Falls Church.  He commutes 8 miles.  Usually makes it to work in about 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
OK How's about public trans. Is there a train or bus from PA or VA that's take you to Baltimore.

Yes.

If you live in N Va near the Metro you can take the Metro to one of the MARC stops (there is a couple on the Red Line) or get to Union Station.  From there you can take a MARC train (Amtrak is more expensive) up to Baltimore.  Baltimore has it's light rail, a short Metro, and busses to get you around the city itself.

When I worked at Northrop-Grumman (just outside the city, next to BWI airport) we had a guy come up from Arlington VA every day using that route.  Once he got to the Airport MARC station he'd take a cab to the building where we worked.  It was over an hour, but at least he could read or listen to the radio.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have a friend who lives near Falls Church.  He commutes 8 miles.  Usually makes it to work in about 45 minutes.

When I worked at Northrop-Grumman/Westinghouse I lived in Columbia, about 15 miles away.  Most mornings it took between 20-30 minutes just to go that 15 miles and all but 1.5 miles was interstate highway.  If there was a traffic jam I could take one of the many alternate routes - but I'd still do no better than 30 minutes using the backroads or alternate highway routes. (and N/G is a good 10 miles outside the city, and Columbia is a good 40 miles to the Wilson Bridge that will bring you to the promised land of VA).  You can do the math.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Start address:
Fairfax, VA
End address:
Baltimore, MD

Now, now, that estimate might be at 3am.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Traffic sounds like CA.

IIRC DC Traffic is second only to L.A.  But in any event it's pretty bad.

If I were you and had the choice I'd be looking to find a place in PA between York and Shrewsbury when you land that Baltimore job.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From experience?  NO!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Traffic sounds like CA.

IIRC DC Traffic is second only to L.A.  But in any event it's pretty bad.

If I were you and had the choice I'd be looking to find a place in PA between York and Shrewsbury when you land that Baltimore job.

Well being a single guy, I am looking for night life as well. Is York and Shrewsbury happenin' cities??

No, think Mayberry type towns. You'd want Fells Point or Federal Hill in Baltimore for that.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Well being a single guy, I am looking for night life as well. Is York and Shrewsbury happenin' cities??

Shrewsbury, NO.

York - a bit

Harrisburg - some
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Funny you ask about public transportation.

The rail out of northern VA sat on the track for an hour this morning because of a broken rail.  So much for those folks making it to work on time.

I've lived in VA, FL and now MD over the past 10 years.  

I've got the collector card so no 1 handgun per month problem.  Sent in the request, got my letter.  Good to go.  Can't but an AR-based pistol.  That's the only thing I'd like to get, but can't.  MD has the ballistic fingerprint and gun lock crap, so no guns from manufacturers that don't provide the fired case.  They have external locks that suffice for handguns that don't have them built-in, so they dodged that problem.

Since VA is nearby, I just load up on high-cap mags as I need to at gunshows in VA.  

Having to commute to Baltimore, I'd recommend you live in Maryland.  

I commute into the District every day.  The cost of living in Northern VA is very high.  Live where it's cheap in VA to commute to MD?  Look at Dahlgren, VA on a map.  That's the cheapest, accessible location from VA.  Houses in Fredricksburg, VA (just down I95) are costing like they were near LA (median house prices $507K I recently heard).  And that's 50 miles south of DC.

Hope it works out for you.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
There's a list of restricted guns that can't be brought into the state. Stuff like Uzis and "assault pistols." The price on those has gone up accordingly. I can't remember the full list.

There are ways around that, too.  Registering them as an SBR or AOW allows you to get around that rule, and MD is "shall issue" on NFA signoffs.  But of course you have to pay the extra $200 or $5 to the ATF and wait for months.

The assault pistol, and CCW issues are the only real problems in MD.  Everything else can be avoided by being a registered collector with the state(free, and takes about 30 to do at seconds at kinkos) to get around the one regulated firearm a month rule, and just dealing with the 8 day wait on some firearms.  If you buy stripped receivers and don't want to wait, buy HBAR marked receivers, but some dealers may still make you wait.  That of course is one of the most insane MD laws, a thick barreled AR15 is fine, but a thin barreled AR15 is evil and you need to wait 8 days in order to lessen the possible destruction you could level on the state.

In the end, if you want it you can get it in Maryland fairly easily, some things even easier than other "free" states, but CCW is almost impossible.  But, because it is in some way possible, neighboring states like PA won't issue carry permits to MD people unless they have a MD CCW permit.  If it was truely impossible to get a CCW in MD, PA would issue to MD residents without question.

Oddly enough, the governer could change this with an order, as the law allows the state police to make the rules on who can have a CCW, but he hasn't changed the rules since Glendenning(tax&spend anti-gun democrat) left.  And we do have a pro-gun governer now, so that is one I don't understand.  Heck, he had planes flying over the state with banners saying "Ehrlich is for assault rifles" during the election.  OK, maybe Kathleen Kennedy Townsend paid for those.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top