Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well being a single guy, I am looking for night life as well. Is York and Shrewsbury happenin' cities??

Who cares?  If you work in Baltimore, leave work hit the nite life there.  Too tired to drive home after?  Hook up with some local girl and spend the night at her place.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Public transportation from Southern PA would be the light rail.  You'd drive to Hunt Valley and take it into the city, it isn't running right now though, only shuttles, but that is only because they are adding a second set of tracks.

But, Baltimore is not really a public transportation kind of city, almost everyone drives, there are plenty of parking garages, and traffic is only bad during rush hour.

Shrewsbury to Downtown is about 40 minutes direct by interstate, but during rush hour figure an hour to hour and 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hear TX has good gun laws.

umm, yes theyre pretty nice

Georgia's are better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Public transportation from Southern PA would be the light rail.  You'd drive to Hunt Valley and take it into the city, it isn't running right now though, only shuttles, but that is only because they are adding a second set of tracks.

But, Baltimore is not really a public transportation kind of city, almost everyone drives, there are plenty of parking garages, and traffic is only bad during rush hour.

Shrewsbury to Downtown is about 40 minutes direct by interstate, but during rush hour figure an hour to hour and 15 minutes.

But how much does it cost to park your car during the day in a parking garage for the day?

I know for Chicago it's about 20 bucks a day and it costs several hundered dollars a month to get a monthly parking pass at a downtown garage.  
Driving times daily depend on what expressway you're taking(again this is for Chicago) and the mass transit system is big...there's commuter rail for suburbanites and the CTA "L" trains for those that choose to live in the city.

I live in the burbs.  I'd commute in by public transportation rather than risk the traffic headaches.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But how much does it cost to park your car during the day in a parking garage for the day?

I know for Chicago it's about 20 bucks a day and it costs several hundered dollars a month to get a monthly parking pass at a downtown garage.  
Driving times daily depend on what expressway you're taking(again this is for Chicago) and the mass transit system is big...there's commuter rail for suburbanites and the CTA "L" trains for those that choose to live in the city.

I live in the burbs.  I'd commute in by public transportation rather than risk the traffic headaches.  

The building my office is in is prime downtown real estate. The parking garage is $14 per day or $180 per month. There are other cheaper garages just a block or two away (my parking is free - company vehicle).

LT - If night life is important, then I would second the Federal Hill recommendation, or possible live out in Timonium or Towson and have close access. From there you could cab it out partying and not spend TOO much (15 min to the Inner Harbor). The only real thing you'd be giving up is CCW (and you could still get a non-resident Pa CCW). That would allow you to carry in Pa and states it has agreements with (not sure who they are). Lots of nice apartment complexes in the Timonium area too.

Parts of Baltimore are truly a shit hole. But there are nice areas too, and the overall cost of living isn't too terrible compared to the southern areas towards DC.

Another thing to consider - most companies that have a big presence in the downtown area also have additional facilities out in the `burbs. I don't know what company you're looking at, but Legg Mason, for example, has a 33 story building downtown (right next to my building) and also a big complex out in Owings Mills. That would definately affect your commute!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another thing to consider - most companies that have a big presence in the downtown area also have additional facilities out in the `burbs. I don't know what company you're looking at, but Legg Mason, for example, has a 33 story building downtown (right next to my building) and also a big complex out in Owings Mills. That would definately affect your commute!

Funny you mention Legg Mason...they are actually Stifel Nicolaus now. When they merged with Citigroup the Capital Markets was in limbo and ended being snatched up by Stifel. Most of the traders quit. Did not want to work for Stifel. So they need traders. I am shooting for their investment grade corporate desk. We may be work place neighbors.

If you're downtown, we'll have to do lunch!  Lots of great eateries nearby.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is MD gunlaws worst than CA???  

Acrosst the board, I'd say yest.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
MD is a good place to live. I work near BWI and initially got an apartment in Catonsville for 6 months until I found a home only 25 minutes from a very good outdoor range (AGC).
The minor inconvenience of 8 days or 1 month I use to manage my firearms budget.

Good luck in the job interview!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top