Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 12:14:33 PM EDT
A friend brought her car over for me to check out. I drove it around the block, during braking the car kind of surges. To me it felt like the rotors were shot. I took the wheels off today and the rotors appear fine, brake pads look almost new. It is a 97 Buick Century. What else should I look for?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the brake pedal pulse when you're stopping?  That can be a wheel bearing going out.  Otherwise, maybe the wheel cylinders on the rear brakes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a mechanic, per say, but it does sound like rotors. I don't know if warping of them is visible or not. Tryin' to help.

ETA- My '97 Honda eats rotors like candy and it sounds like you have the same situation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Does the brake pedal pulse when you're stopping?  That can be a wheel bearing going out.  Otherwise, maybe the wheel cylinders on the rear brakes.

I don't think the pedal pulses(have to take it for another ride around the block to check that), but the entire vehicle does. I'd have thought for sure it was the rotors. I haven't tore into the rear brakes yet. I will check those next.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Possible problem with antilock brake sensor or controll module.  If it has a false reading of a wheel locking up it can reduce pressure to brakes and then reapplie it..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top